Start by marking “Tartine Book No. 3: Modern Ancient Classic Whole” as Want to Read:
Tartine Book No. 3: Modern Ancient Classic Whole

Tartine Book No. 3: Modern Ancient Classic Whole

The third in a series of classic, collectible cookbooks from Tartine Bakery & Cafe, one of the great bakeries, Tartine Book No. 3 is a revolutionary, and altogether timely, exploration of baking with whole grains. The narrative of Chad Robertson's search for ancient flavors in heirloom grains is interwoven with 85 recipes for whole-grain versions of Tartine favorites. ...more
Published December 17th 2013 by Chronicle Books (CA)

To ask other readers questions about Tartine Book No. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tartine Book No. 3

Katya
Jan 27, 2014 Katya rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A co-worker just informed me that if I were in jail, I could call her for getaway assistance, on the strength of my sesame wheat bread.

I then made two more Tartine #3 loaves in progress, one oatmeal porridge/walnut oil, and one sprouted kamut. These showcase two of the newer techniques in the book, so I'm interested to see how they do. I added a touch of dessicated coconut flake to my oats, which I'm hoping will add something.

The oat and the Kamut were good--the sprouted amaranth was on the bitt
Amy
Mar 23, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
This is the first Tartine book I've purchased, and I got it because it's an exploration in baking with freshly-milled whole grains, and more diverse and ancient grains than just wheat. And also because the Tartine crew has a solid reputation for quality and authenticity. The recipes in this book tend to be very ambitious and advanced. I consider it aspirational as opposed to instructional, at least for the amount of time and energy I'm currently able to commit toward baking.

The pastry section i
Tanna
Apr 21, 2014 Tanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baking-bread
Gorgeous whole grain breads.
NCW
Jan 18, 2015 NCW rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bakers who want to master no-knead, whole-grain techniques
Shelves: cookbooks
Chad Robertson is clearly a fantastic baker with some wonderful ideas for making outstanding bread. So far I have made the following bread recipes from this book with great success--several of them multiple times:

White-Wheat Blend
Wheat-Rye 10%
Wheat-Rye 20%
Buckwheat with Toasted Groats and Creme Fraiche (a favorite!)
Kamut 60%
Emmer/Einkorn
Spelt-Wheat
Wheat-Rye-Caraway-Coriander (a favorite!)
Sprouted Einkorn
Sprouted Purple Barley
Sprouted Quinoa-Kamut
Smoked Sprouted Rye (a favorite!)
Sprouted Spelt
Spr
Patricia
Mar 29, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful primer for baking archival breads using whole grains. Many of the recipes Tartine has made famous have been revisited using sprouted and ancient or unusual grains, and the methods are very interesting. The writer uses wild yeast to leaven the dough, by mixing flours and water and lightly covering the batter so that the yeast can find its way in and make a sourdough starter. In addition to many bread varieties, there are a few pastry recipes. Not for the impatient or novice ...more
Melissa Schmidty -Schmidt
Were I a bread baker, this book may have been more my cup of tea. Everything looked chewy and healthy--not that that is a bad thing, it's just the impression I am left with. In its favor, this book would be an excellent primer for bakers seeking to explore baking with whole grains, including some dessert offerings. Caveat: what the desserts lack in a sense of decadence, they make up for with a sense of fiber.
SJ
Jan 26, 2016 SJ rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbooks
Tartine No 3 is beautiful, and was obviously a massive project of love. The book has a strong aesthetic style and the results of the recipes all sound great. However, this feels like a thesis and not a cookbook. As a beginning baker (not a complete noob, but not an expert) I found it to be inaccessible.
Kirk Dobihal
Jan 07, 2016 Kirk Dobihal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
An advanced continuation of Tartine Bread - you must be an advanced bread baker to appreciate the nuances of this book especially versed in the levain style natural fermented breads. The adage of whole grain explored in this book will tempt you to expand your bread making horizons.
Mark
May 14, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
Inspiring but hardly adaptable to the baking standards of the average household kitchen in real time. You would need a personal assistant to keep up with the timing required to pull off any of these recipes. More of a retirement project than a usable cookbook for me at this stage.
Daisy
Sep 07, 2016 Daisy rated it really liked it
Shelves: bread
see review for Tartine Brown Bread
Ambur Taft
Sep 29, 2016 Ambur Taft rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks-health
Beautiful book - Great photos, love the font, love the feel of the book. Breads and desserts layed out simply, as if anyone could make them....a bread lovers dream book.
Beth Smith-moncrief
Aug 13, 2016 Beth Smith-moncrief rated it really liked it
great book with recipes using different grain flours, many of them gluten free. my kids even like the recipes.
Xin Tong
Sep 26, 2014 Xin Tong rated it really liked it
This book has a variety of selection. The problem is the index system is somewhat confusing. Some. The recipes are not quite easy to perform.
Tom Mikkelsen
Tom Mikkelsen rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Liliano
Liliano rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Florence
Florence rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2014
miguel colorado
miguel colorado rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Gonca Gunes
Gonca Gunes rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2014
Shawna Harris
Shawna Harris rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Harald Illeditsch
Harald Illeditsch rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Barry Daly
Barry Daly rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Coco_Chanel
Coco_Chanel rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Steven R
Steven R rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
André
André rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Sister Janet
Sister Janet rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
max e levy
max e levy rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Tacia Coleman
Tacia Coleman rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2013
David Durr
David Durr rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Vietnamese Home Cooking
  • Nancy Silverton's Breads from the La Brea Bakery: Recipes for the Connoisseur
  • Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers
  • Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes
  • Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream Desserts
  • Josey Baker Bread: Get Baking - Make Awesome Bread - Share the Loaves
  • Culinary Tea: More Than 150 Recipes Steeped in Tradition from Around the World
  • Mastering Fermentation: Recipes for Making and Cooking with Fermented Foods
  • The Art of French Pastry
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • At Home with Madhur Jaffrey: Simple, Delectable Dishes from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka
  • Tasting Whiskey: An Insider's Guide to the Unique Pleasures of the World's Finest Spirits
  • The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes
  • The Green Kitchen: Delicious and Healthy Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day
  • Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers
  • The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book: Uncommon Recipes from the Celebrated Brooklyn Pie Shop
  • The Oxford Companion to Beer