Start by marking “Hero Under Cover” as Want to Read:
Hero Under Cover

Hero Under Cover

When Pete Taylor first offered his services as a bodyguard, Annie Morgan wanted nothing to do with him. She was sure that the death threats against her weren't serious. While the Native American mask she was working on was valuable, it wasn't worth killing for.

One murder attempt later, Annie was glad to have Pete around. She owed him her life. Suddenly she was beginning to

Paperback, Silhouette Intimate Moments, #575, 256 pages
Published May 1st 1994 by Silhouette

To ask other readers questions about Hero Under Cover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero Under Cover

Miriam
Apr 11, 2012 Miriam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Yet another "romance" in which male bullying is portrayed positively. Yuck. I'm disappointed to be seeing this from Brockmann, although it's nice that her books improved with time.

In the opening scene, our heroine Annie, an antiquities appraiser, has been held without charges or legal counsel on barely-even-circumstantial evidence that she might, possibly, have something to do with some recent art-related crimes. After 6 hours of questioning, our titular "hero" agent Peterson has her strip-sear
Saly
Hero Under Cover was not bad but it was actually quite un-remarkable. I never really clicked with the characters Pete and Annie.
Annie is an archaeologist who is fed up with the FBI and CIA, harassing her whenever she gets into the country and accusing her of being some thief. "Pete" is at the other end of the interrogation room enjoys Annie's guts.

So, well when she gets one threatening phone-call relating to a death-mask of some Native-American that gives them an excuse and Pete goes undercover
Cherise
Nov 21, 2008 Cherise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This book was originally published in 1994.

Dr. Annie Morrow, archaeologist, art historian, and artifact authenticator, is under investigation by the FBI and CIA for some European museum thefts and tragedies. The government agencies have been harassing her and investigating her for months and are no closer to the truth. When a threat is made against Annie's life, the CIA seizes its opportunity and plants one of it's agents in her home as a bodyguard. Kendall Peterson takes on the persona of Pete
Erin
Feb 13, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This is an early Brockmann, and it shows. She hadn't quite honed her craft when she wrote it. There's a LOT of head-hopping, the characters are really schmoopy with each other in some scenes, and you can see the Big Misunderstanding coming chapters in advance, which makes you want to yell at Pete. The resolution to the central mystery feels a little out of left field, too. (MILD SPOILER: There's a lot of stuff with artifacts and archaeology, and then, all of a sudden, in the last chapter it turn ...more
Anita
Apr 03, 2016 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars. I generally love Suzanne Brockmann's early romances, but this one just wasn't quite there. The plot had major holes in it, but the romance was great. Overall it was a good romance w/mystery story.
Holly
May 16, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading Suzanne Brockmann whenever I feel like reading stories featuring
alpha males and strong females. Most of her books have a FBI/CIA connection.

In this very interesting book, she created a heroine, MS. Annie Morgan, who is an archeologist protecting an ancient death mask worth millions. Too bad there have been fires and theft, with people dying at each one of her digs lately. She gets on a short list of suspects within the FBI/CIA.
Enter Mr. Pete Taylor,posing as a bodyguard who is
Dawn
Oct 05, 2015 Dawn rated it liked it
Dr. Anne Morrow (archaeologist, art historian and professional artifact authenticator) is under investigation for bombing and robbing a couple museums. CIA operative, Captain Kendall "Pete" Peterson is assigned the job of finding the information proving her guilt (yes, I know how that sounds but that's the way they were playing it). After she receives numerous death threats from an organization referring to themselves as Stands Against the Storm, supposedly connected to the Navajo tribe, wanting ...more
Emily
Jun 19, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
It's not a bad book...just really dated (obviously). It's not as good quality as her more recent books though. It annoyed me how Annie kept calling Pete "pal" and was kind of stupid when it came to her safety. At the museum event, the amount of times the author mentioned Pete staring at her was excessive. It made him seem more like a creep than a bodyguard/agent. Someone could have killed her right there and he wouldn't even notice because he spends his whole time watching her. But the story wor ...more
Carrie
TBR Challenge 2011- Hero Under Cover has been on my TBR pile since May 2010.

3.5* While Hero Under Cover had a few plot holes, and one or two "duh!" moments, it was a better than average "light" romantic suspense read. The main characters were sympathetic and the chemistry was believable. One "duh!" item was when Annie thought Pete didn't want her and he gave no explanation. Since Pete was undercover as a bodyguard, the only explanation he needed was that it's unethical for a bodyguard to sleep
Dec 07, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Der falsche Bodyguard.

Annie kann es kaum fassen, dass die CIA sie tatsächlich beschuldigt professionellen Kunstdiebstahl zu betreiben. Als wäre das nicht schon nervenaufreibend genug, wird auch noch ein Anschlag auf ihr Leben verübt. Nur warum? Auf Wunsch eines ihrer Kunden, und gleichzeitig Freund der Familie, steht auf einmal ein Bodyguard vor ihrer Tür. Was sie allerdings kategorisch ablehnt. Was wiederum ihn nicht interessiert. Somit folgt Pete ihr nun wie ein Schatten um ihr Leben zu schütz
Romantična Geekica
Sep 03, 2013 Romantična Geekica rated it liked it
It was an easy read to me, and I think it is OK for a romance suspense, but you have to ignore some pretty big plot holes...

SPOILERS AHEAD!

For example...there is a lot of explaining how she doesn't like bats but NO ONE knows (expect for him now) or should know about it...and then...somebody fills her room with bats and they don't suspect that someone had bugged her house or room...and she doesn't even suspects him (even though he is the only one who knows) they do talk about did her assistant do
Jez
Sep 20, 2014 Jez rated it really liked it
Its Suzanne Brockmann what more do you really need to know? ;-) Brockmann never lets me down (well I haven't read any of her supernatural stuff as I have absolutely no interest but everything else is on my must read list). This is an oldie but a goodie. The undercover CIA agent. The sexy anthropologist. And a big mystery. She does such a good job of creating strong characters with vulnerabilities that only make you love them more. Oh, and hot sex! Basically, as usual Brockmann hits it out of the ...more
Joyce
Mar 29, 2014 Joyce rated it liked it
Formulaic, but decently done. Both protagonists are bright and knowledgeable in their fields. He is an undercover CIA agent, she is an art appraiser. It is pure chick lit with a decent plot thrown in. Harlequin made a great training ground for authors that grew during their tenure there and became mainstream.
Kenton Monjon
Mar 08, 2014 Kenton Monjon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast paced thriller

This is a no holds barred page turner full of action with great characters and a plot that holds your interest throughout. There is hot sexual tension and a riveting story that holds the reader's interest.
Donna Hatridge
This book is an early novel by Suzanne Brockmann. If you have followed her Navy Seal series you know that her writing has only gotten better over time. That said I did enjoy this story.

One murder attempt later, Annie was glad to have Pete
Russty Thaggard
An entertaining plot line, though not nearly as good as those others of hers I've read... Almost the entire book is a tease, making the main characters wait until the very end to "get laid"...

If you've read her other books, you know exactly what I mean, and I don't need to tread on.
Arlette Mooney
Aug 25, 2016 Arlette Mooney rated it really liked it
Fun, edgy, great characters, fast paced, super plot, intense romance with a real story.
Shelley
Aug 17, 2010 Shelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: intrigue
This was the first novel I'd read by Suzanne Brockmann and I took my time picking it out. I was impressed and to this day, it's one of my "author's first" favorites. I'll never forget this one moment in the story when the villian really scared the pants off me. The heroine, Annie, was like "I'm not scared," and I was thinking, "Crap, I AM. Jump on Pete's back and tell him to keep his gun drawn." LOL. I stayed up late that night, reading ahead to one of the more *ahem* lovely parts just so I didn ...more
Terry Buford
Predictable romance novel, as she tends to write. A great light read
Marcia Loveman
Aug 08, 2016 Marcia Loveman rated it it was amazing
Excellent romantic thriller.
Jessi
May 02, 2010 Jessi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
For an early book, this is okay. Pete Taylor is an undercover CIA agent who is assigned to archaeologist Annie Morgan when the Company suspects her of bomb attacks in museums overseas. Actually, now that I think of it, that doesn't really make sense but whatever, it's a cute story. He gets in 'cause she's getting threats about an artifact that she's authenticating. Actually, I don't think they explained how they got the guy who bought the artifact to insist on a bodyguard but, still, cute story.
Linda
Sep 03, 2009 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery, murder
When Pete Taylor first offers his services as a bodyguard to anthropologist Annie Morgan, she wants nothing to do with him. She's certain the threats she's received aren't serious. The Native American death mask she's working on is valuable, but not worth killing for. Now, after a murder attempt, Annie is only too happy to have Pete on board.

This was a reissue of a title Brockmann wrote several years ago. It was entertaining but nothing like her Troubleshooters series.
L8blmr
Aug 17, 2014 L8blmr rated it really liked it
A somewhat tender and relatively tame early Brockmann that has been re-issued with a cover that's not so sappy. I thought the writing was fairly good, but some of the aspects of the plot were rushed or glossed over. A more credible rating would be 3.5 stars, but I gave the extra half because, having read a couple of her more recent titles, I can appreciate how much she has built on that early foundation to become the respected author she is today.
Simran
Jan 12, 2015 Simran rated it really liked it
This was the first SSR book I had finished and it turned out to be actually interesting and better than I had thought it to be. Even though I'm not a huge fan of romance, I think this book was a good one to read because of the mystery and investigation brought into it. Another thing I liked was how the author brought some suspense into the book in which the reader wouldn't be able to put down the book, which was what happened to me.
Mindy
Dec 11, 2010 Mindy rated it liked it
I liked this book...it's one of Brockmann's better non-series books. Deception of the magnitude this book has usually doesn't play a big part in her novels and for that I'm grateful. I can only handle the drama that comes with it so much. Fortunately she kept the drama to a minimum as well. Annie and Pete are sweet together and the art/archaeology theme was a new and interesting piece of the story.
Aug 28, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads, romance
Pour in one measure bodyguard cliche, a shot of mistaken identity, and a dash of femjeop. Shake, and serve as a moderately entertaining piece of fluff that's pretty forgettable in the scheme of Brockmann's work. Minor extra credit points for having the artifact in question be Native American, which is a bit out of the normal run, but that's like saying she poured a middling martini in a snazzy glass.
Writerlibrarian
A bit dated (it was first published in 1994) before the internet and fax were the way to get informations. I guess that period is still too recent for me to be able to appreciate it properly and not be taken out of the storyline. Putting the whole technology thing aside, the characters are fun and competent, both of them. Annie and Pete make a good pair and make it worth reading until the end.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fun and suspenseful.
Ann
Jan 01, 2012 Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-liked, blah
Hero Under Cover was quite OK, nothing special. The thing that bothered me (like, really-really bothered) was Annie`s unhealthy eating habits. Like seriously, all she ate was peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches?? I know this is totally irrelevant but I really did not like that. Oh, she ate an apple too. But, seriously? ...more
Lhenry
One of SB's earliest, I think. It had a great hero who can climb to the attic while gravely wounded, fairly interesting plot, kind of a silly crime, and a decent heroine too. As usual with such formats, there's a dearth of detail and backstory, but honestly. sometimes this is better than writers who go to far the other way!
  • Too Far Gone (SEAL Team 12, #6)
  • A Highlander for Christmas
  • Basic Training (Harlequin Blaze #238)
  • Her Guardian
  • The First Mistake (Cleo North #1)
  • Night Shadow (T-FLAC, #14)
  • Code of Honor (Special Operations, #1)
  • SEAL It with a Kiss (SEAL It With A Kiss #1)
  • Out of the Blue (Stewart Sisters, #2)
  • Fight For Me (The Everetts of Tyler #2)
  • Maximum Exposure
  • Scandal's Daughter (Series, #1)
  • To the Limit (The Bodyguards, #2)
  • Ice Blue (Ice, #3)
  • Blade's Lady
Suzanne Brockmann was born in 1960. Married with Ed Gaffney, a lawyer and published writer. They have two grown children: Melanie, who is a personal trainer and author, and Jason, who is an actor and tap dancer. They divide their time between Boston, Massachusetts, Sarasota, Florida and New York City.

Published since 1993, Suzanne is widely recognized as one of the leading voices in suspense romanc
More about Suzanne Brockmann...