Lady in Black

Lady in Black

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  17 reviews
THE PERFECT BUTLER

Reid Donovan was not surprised to find a butler serving his grandfather. At the age of ninety-two, the head of Donovan Corporation deserved a household staff. What shocked Reid was the fact that his grandfather's majordomo was a sexy blond bombshell with big blue eyes and curves in all the right places. Considering the recent kidnapping threats his grandf...more
Published February 1st 1993 by Meteor Publishing Corporation (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Lady in Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady in Black

Piper
Jan 26, 2009 Piper added it
Enjoyed reading this as it was some of her first published books and it was fun to see how much she's grown and progressed as an author. She really is fantastic.
Susan
Don't be put off by the vintage cover, which looks as if Nancy Drew is having a moment. This early story by Christina Dodd is quirky, fun and fresh. The heroine who has attended a prestigious London school for butlers. A studly relative of her elderly employer thinks she's not up to the job, since there have been threats to the old guy's life. This leads to a slow-burner conflict driven by well-written banter and nicely developed sexual heat. Just noted on the author's GR page that Lady in Black...more
Annette
This is one of the earliest of Christina Dodd books. She has done a good job on both plot and character development.

Margaret is a butler for a very wealthy older man in Houston Texas. She has been trained to be very proper in her relationship with her employer. But with elderly Mr Donovan, she also has become a friend.

Reid is the grandson of Margaret's employer. He has heard rumblings that his grandfather has had advantage taken. He arrives in order to protect his beloved grandfather and to make...more
Maggie
This is an older story that was dusted up for ebook release. The hero of the story is the strong, autocratic male who knows what he wants, but in a fun twist, Dodd has her heroine, a woman with the job of a butler, against the idea of love and marriage.

Margaret's already had her heart broken from her husband getting cancer and dyindg - leaving her with a pile of bills and a daughter to raise.

Reid is a rich man who was raised by grandfather, who is Margaret's current employer. He's never met a wo...more
Ewa
A really good fun :D
Mauaqui
It was an entertaining book. The butler (Margaret) taking care of the elderly billionaire(Jim) when the grandson appears (Reid) because his grandfather Jim's will has been changed and he went to investigate why and who was inheriting that was not family. While he was investigated his grandfather receives kidnapping threats. The threats turn to reality with a twist.

Margaret and Reid begin to fall and love and join forces to find the kidnapper.

Shea
I read the 2013 rewritten and updated version of this story. Margaret and Reid made an interesting couple and their relationship grew over a believable amount of time. The additional storyline of an extortion and kidnapping plot surrounding Reid's grandfather kept me guessing. I would have liked to see more of Margaret's daughter Amy and her relationship with Reid and Sir Gramps.
Lesli
WOW, another romance with a woman as butler. Must be more fantasies about this that I thought! Good story, but maybe I was just tired when I read it because the emotions and characters were flat. Also, the mystery device isn’t used effectively. I was never pulled into the puzzle AND knew almost immediately who was behind the whole mystery.
E_bookpushers
It was interesting to see the seeds of some other things that Dodd has expanded in much later books. The growth in her writing, characterization, and world building was nice to see. A few of the plot points I felt were heavy-handed but overall it was an entertaining read.
Joan Mondragon
This is a short book (only 220 pages). After wading thru the last book that I didn't like I thought I could use some instant gratification.
Kim
One of Dodd's early (her first one I think) and was cute but not on a par with her later writing I thought.
Amanda
This is good? The mystery kind of lagged and the ending wasn't that satisfying but the romance was great.
LJ
Lady in Black - NR
Dodd, Christina - standalone

I usually like Dodd, but I was disappointed in this book.
Jocelyn
It was just ok. I got it when it was on sale, so I don't feel cheated or anything.
Janice Reyes
I like it. I thought it was very funny.
Yvonne Gom
An enjoyable light read
Hope Szabo
Hope Szabo marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Katheline Schmitt
Katheline Schmitt marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Pamela
Pamela added it
Aug 02, 2014
  • Tall, Dark, and Dangerous
  • The Passion of Patrick MacNeill (Sweet Home, Carolina, #2; MacNeill Brothers, #1)
  • Sands of Betrayal (Kilted Desire, #1)
  • Her Man Friday
  • If the Slipper Fits
  • The Love Charm
  • Summer at Mustang Ridge (Mustang Ridge, #1)
  • Untangle My Heart
  • Hot under Pressure (Harlequin Blaze #485)
  • Ecstasy (Notorious, #4)
  • The Great Scot (Chisholm Brothers, #2)
  • The Fall of Rogue Gerrard
  • The Bride Of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #1)
  • Devil's Own (Clan MacAlpin, #2)
  • Chance The Winds of Fortune
  • Texas Princess (Whispering Mountain, #2)
  • The Damsel in This Dress
  • When the Duchess Said Yes (Wylder Sisters, #2)
Join Christina's mailing list for upcoming book news, book sales and entertainment delivered right to your inbox! http://christinadodd.com/newsletters/...

In 2014, Christina is publishing the Lost Hearts series in e-book, all enhanced with extra material:
-- JUST THE WAY YOU ARE
-- ALMOST LIKE BEING IN LOVE
-- CLOSE TO YOU
And Christina's all-new series, Virtue Falls, starts with:
-- THE LISTENER: A Vi...more
More about Christina Dodd...
Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) Into The Shadow (Darkness Chosen, #3) Into the Flame (Darkness Chosen, #4) Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #2) Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, #1)