Start by marking “Lady in Black” as Want to Read:
Lady in Black

Lady in Black

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  295 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
THE PERFECT BUTLER

Reid Donovan was not surprised to find a butler serving his grandfather. At the age of ninety-two, the head of Donovan Corporation deserved a household staff. What shocked Reid was the fact that his grandfather's majordomo was a sexy blond bombshell with big blue eyes and curves in all the right places. Considering the recent kidnapping threats his grandf
Published February 1st 1993 by Meteor Publishing Corporation (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Lady in Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady in Black

Susan (the other Susan)
Don't be put off by the vintage cover, which looks as if Nancy Drew is having a moment. This early story by Christina Dodd is quirky, fun and fresh. The heroine who has attended a prestigious London school for butlers. A studly relative of her elderly employer thinks she's not up to the job, since there have been threats to the old guy's life. This leads to a slow-burner conflict driven by well-written banter and nicely developed sexual heat. Just noted on the author's GR page that Lady in Black ...more
Piper
Aug 20, 2015 Piper rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading this as it was some of her first published books and it was fun to see how much she's grown and progressed as an author. She really is fantastic.
Maggie
Dec 25, 2013 Maggie rated it it was amazing
This is an older story that was dusted up for ebook release. The hero of the story is the strong, autocratic male who knows what he wants, but in a fun twist, Dodd has her heroine, a woman with the job of a butler, against the idea of love and marriage.

Margaret's already had her heart broken from her husband getting cancer and dyindg - leaving her with a pile of bills and a daughter to raise.

Reid is a rich man who was raised by grandfather, who is Margaret's current employer. He's never met a wo
Mauaqui
Apr 21, 2013 Mauaqui rated it liked it
Shelves: c-dodd
It was an entertaining book. The butler (Margaret) taking care of the elderly billionaire(Jim) when the grandson appears (Reid) because his grandfather Jim's will has been changed and he went to investigate why and who was inheriting that was not family. While he was investigated his grandfather receives kidnapping threats. The threats turn to reality with a twist.

Margaret and Reid begin to fall and love and join forces to find the kidnapper.

E_bookpushers
It was interesting to see the seeds of some other things that Dodd has expanded in much later books. The growth in her writing, characterization, and world building was nice to see. A few of the plot points I felt were heavy-handed but overall it was an entertaining read.
Fedora
Jun 20, 2015 Fedora rated it liked it
Older read by Ms. Dodd--entertaining premise about a female butler and the gorgeous grandson of her elderly employer. Throw in a charming daughter and a kidnapping/extortion plot and hijinks ensue :)
charmaine White
Jun 08, 2015 charmaine White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoy

Starts with a thrill and keeps you in suspense from beginning to end.Wondering who they bad guy is going to be or is it a bad girl.
Joan Mondragon
Mar 26, 2013 Joan Mondragon rated it liked it
This is a short book (only 220 pages). After wading thru the last book that I didn't like I thought I could use some instant gratification.
Cheryl Fisher
May 06, 2015 Cheryl Fisher rated it it was amazing
I was so happy to find a book by Christina Dodd that I had not read. You will LOL. True Dodd form~romance, humor, a little mystery.
Kim
Jun 04, 2013 Kim rated it liked it
One of Dodd's early (her first one I think) and was cute but not on a par with her later writing I thought.
Jocelyn
Apr 27, 2013 Jocelyn rated it liked it
It was just ok. I got it when it was on sale, so I don't feel cheated or anything.
Janice Reyes
I like it. I thought it was very funny.
Yvonne Gom
Jan 07, 2016 Yvonne Gom rated it really liked it
An enjoyable light read
Sylvia
Sep 25, 2009 Sylvia rated it really liked it
Modern
Annette
Nov 11, 2013 Annette rated it really liked it
This is one of the earliest of Christina Dodd books. She has done a good job on both plot and character development.

Margaret is a butler for a very wealthy older man in Houston Texas. She has been trained to be very proper in her relationship with her employer. But with elderly Mr Donovan, she also has become a friend.

Reid is the grandson of Margaret's employer. He has heard rumblings that his grandfather has had advantage taken. He arrives in order to protect his beloved grandfather and to make
Amy
Mar 21, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
This was a short and sweet book that I really enjoyed. It took me a little bit to fully understand exactly what was going on throughout the novel but once I did I found it very charming. I think the end was drawn out a little bit longer than it needs to be which is why I got three stars instead of four. But in all I really enjoyed The book. I especially liked Jim. He was a feisty smart old man who knew what he wanted.
Mary Banik
Aug 30, 2015 Mary Banik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

This wasn't very suspenseful, but it was humorous and that is what I really enjoy reading. So reading this was a win win for me.
Ms. Dodd is one of my favorite authors.
Ewa
Feb 10, 2014 Ewa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, origin
A really good fun :D
Shea
I read the 2013 rewritten and updated version of this story. Margaret and Reid made an interesting couple and their relationship grew over a believable amount of time. The additional storyline of an extortion and kidnapping plot surrounding Reid's grandfather kept me guessing. I would have liked to see more of Margaret's daughter Amy and her relationship with Reid and Sir Gramps.
Lesli
Jul 14, 2010 Lesli rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2002
WOW, another romance with a woman as butler. Must be more fantasies about this that I thought! Good story, but maybe I was just tired when I read it because the emotions and characters were flat. Also, the mystery device isn’t used effectively. I was never pulled into the puzzle AND knew almost immediately who was behind the whole mystery.
Amanda
Aug 08, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it
This is good? The mystery kind of lagged and the ending wasn't that satisfying but the romance was great.
LJ
Dec 28, 2007 LJ rated it did not like it
Lady in Black - NR
Dodd, Christina - standalone

I usually like Dodd, but I was disappointed in this book.
Cheryl Signor
Cheryl Signor rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Zoe
Zoe added it
Apr 27, 2016
D.
D. rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Renee
Renee rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Wendy
Wendy added it
Apr 06, 2016
Gwen
Gwen rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Ame
Ame rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
elle martinez
elle martinez marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
  • One Night With a Rogue
  • Twelve Wicked Nights
  • Tall, Dark, and Dangerous
  • Protecting Kate
  • Russian Roulette (Kilted Desire, #2)
  • Stuck On You
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside
  • Opposites Attract (Love, New Orleans Style, #5)
  • Jodoh Sang Jutawan Italia (Counts of Calvani , #2)
  • Finding Mr. Right
  • If the Slipper Fits
  • Summer at Mustang Ridge (Mustang Ridge, #1)
  • Hot under Pressure (Harlequin Blaze #485)
  • The Earl is Mine (House of Brady, #2)
  • Devil's Own (Clan MacAlpin, #2)
  • SEAL the Deal (Alpha SEALs Book 1)
  • The Bride Of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #1)
  • When the Duchess Said Yes (Wylder Sisters, #2)
Today and always…LOVE NEVER DIES: A Virtue Falls Short Story
Christina's Upcoming Stories:
BECAUSE I'M WATCHING: A Virtue Falls suspense (Sept 6, 2016) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Christina's 2015 List of Stories:
-- Out now! A PIRATE'S WIFE FOR ME: A new, full-length, Governess Brides historical https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
-- Out now!
More about Christina Dodd...