Start by marking “Paper John” as Want to Read:
Paper John

Paper John

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A good-hearted fellow who lives by the sea in a paper house and makes paper boats for the village children comes up against the devil in a life or death situation which can be salvaged only by his skill with paper folding.
Published April 1st 1987 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Paper John, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper John

Judy
Feb 18, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pic-books
I've liked to do origami ever since my grandfather taught me to fold paper chickens. I made 100s of them (that might be a slight exaggeration) in assorted sizes and put them in families that were distinguished by color. This book would have enchanted me. A man who could make toys, furnishings, and even houses and boats out of paper! Now I also appreciate when a story focuses on someone who is different, good, and happy. (Celebrate diversity!) Yes, the devil has a part in this story, but he loses ...more
Julia Jasztal
Jan 08, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Mommy's review from 3/13/12)

We almost didn't read this. We passed by it at the library last week and both the title and cover failed to grab me. Something made me pick it up and scan through it though and even though I still wasn't very hopeful we brought it home.
We both ended up liking it more than we expected. The description is readily available so I won't go through it again. I'll stick with our thoughts. We listened to this while following along in the book and if I remember right the aut
Lyd
Oct 19, 2014 Lyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a total wildcard. I'd never heard of it and probably wouldn't have picked it up but what a gem it turned out to be! This is a fabulous book and now one of our favourites. It's reminiscent of the fairy stories I grew up with but without any of the clichés. I'll be looking now for more from this author.
Becky
May 22, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids who like folktales
Shelves: children-and-ya
A man named John breezes into a small town and establishes himself as an artist who can make anything out of paper. He even folds himself a paper house (lacquered to withstand the weather) full of paper furniture.

One day a greedy demon wreaks havoc in the town, picking everybody's pockets. John reveals the demon's misdeeds, making the demon so angry that he calls upon the four winds to blow everybody in town out to sea.

John refolds his lacquered paper house into a waterproof paper ship. He pulls
The Brothers
A very fun little tale about a man who comes to town that makes everything - and I mean everything - out of paper. He folds little boats for the children to play in the sea with and he even makes himself a house! One day a nasty ol' devil comes to visit. He has one mean trick of commanding all the winds and he can only do it once. After he is caught stealing from the townspeople, he uses his trick and a great hurricane sweeps through the town.

Paper John manages to change his house into a boat wi
Mrs Bond
Paper John can make anything out of paper: a hat, flower bouquet, house, boats and more. One night a little devil is tied up outside the window; Paper John rescues him and shares food and lodging. The devil steals from the townspeople and attempts an escape on Paper John's kite. Trapped, the devil calls on the four winds to destroy the town. Paper John proves himself to be heroic, while the devil goes 'back to where he came from.' The story is complemented by the colorful illustrations.
Anastacia
Sep 27, 2012 Anastacia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew this book existed! I remember reading it as a kid, in fact I think it was Reading Rainbow that featured it. I loved this book as a kid, I thought maybe it was shelved because of the devil reference but glad it is still around.
Julia
This book was definitely different than I expected. Not really worth the read, but I enjoyed the illustrations.
Jolomasong
Jolomasong marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Lisarunge
Lisarunge marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Anna James
Anna James marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Postace
Postace marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Lara
Lara added it
Jan 25, 2016
Farien
Farien marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Brennan
Brennan rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Merry
Merry marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Hs
Hs added it
Jun 23, 2014
C.
C. rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Yuna K
Yuna K rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2014
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Mia Redgrave
Mia Redgrave rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Mallory
Mallory rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

David Small is the recipient of the Caldecott Medal, a Christopher Medal, and the E. B. White Award for his picture books, which include Imogene's Antlers, The Gardener, and So, You Want to Be President? He lives in Mendon, Michigan.
More about David Small...