California! (Wagons West, #6)

California! (Wagons West #6)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  402 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The 6th novel in the Wagons West Series. Men answer the siren song of gold. Lonely wives fend off peril while husbands pan for nuggets. Former wagon master Whip Holt joins Sheriff Rick Miller in a relentless search for two brutal murderers.
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published June 1st 1984 by Domain (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about California!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about California!

Elizabeth
I'm enjoying this whole series but this book struck me a little more than the previous five I've read so far. Perhaps because some of this story was so unexpected (as most of the story lines and happenings could be guessed beforehand) and...jarring. I'm not sure. This whole series has story lines that are kind of predictable but I've grown attached to the characters, old and the new ones that come forward and have decided to follow through 'til the end.
Also, I happen to be actually learning a l...more
Virginia Markhart
Sixth in the series. This one was much better than the last few. I had decided to stop reading them, glad I didn't.

This book finds Lee and Cathy Blake at the Presidio in San Francisco. They have their hands full with all the restless, lawless and hungry miners. Melissa Austin becomes a prostitute in a busy saloon. Heather and Danny Taylor have issues to work out in their marriage. Chet Harris and his mining partner hit it big and become wealthy. Whip Hold visits California from Oregon to try to...more
OctoberWoman
Several familiar characters are back in this sixth book in the Wagons West series, where the action takes place mostly in San Francisco and the Sacramento Valley during the heydays of the gold rush:

Rick Miller is now the Sheriff in San Francisco, struggling to maintain law and order while on a private vendetta to capture two renegade rapists/murderers after his wife Elisabeta falls victim to them in the opening of the book. While we watched Rick and Elisabeta fall in love in the previous book, t...more
Billye
Excellent- about the gold discovered in California in 1849. I am reading all the books in this series in order.
Aldafan
This one was better than the last one, we got to know the characters better. It upset me when one died! I still read these mostly for the history. Next is Colorado and I want to read it before my trip.
Roger Conroy
Good writer and historically correct on everything EXCEPT firearms. Ross has people in the California Wagons West book using Colt cartridge revolvers in 1849 which weren't invented until 1873.
Connie
I felt like this was the best of the series. Enjoyed all of the story lines. It is so funny how quickly the couples get married.
Barbara
This series is very interesting - really holds my attention!
Partridge Public
Dec 04, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ros West PB
Shelves: western
Ross, Dana Fuller PB
Barbara
A good look at life in the gold rush years
Cws
Nov 19, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: western
W Ros
Rita Harper norman
Rita Harper norman marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Sep 12, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Shame Rynes
Shame Rynes marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Carrie Solem
Carrie Solem is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2014
Shawn Paul
Shawn Paul marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Katie Kirchner
Katie Kirchner marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Ted Clements
Ted Clements marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Susan Shay
Susan Shay marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Julie Smith
Julie Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • White Indian (The White Indian Series #1)
  • Valley of the Sun
  • The Phantom Of Valletta
  • The Americans (Kent Family Chronicles, #8)
  • Devil's Bride and A Rake's Vow (Cynster Series, Book 1 & 2)
  • Captain From Castile
Pen name for James Reasoner.

American author James Reasoner specializes in historical military novels, westerns, and mysteries. He also writes under the pseudonyms "Mike Jameson", "Hank Mitchum" and "Dana Fuller Ross." He has written more than 40 novels. His spouse, Livia Washburn Reasoner, is also a prolific writer of westerns, mysteries, and romances. The Reasoners were each raised in Texas, and...more
More about Dana Fuller Ross...
Independence! (Wagons West, #1) Oregon! (Wagons West, #4) Nebraska! (Wagons West, #2) Wyoming! (Wagons West, #3) Texas! (Wagons West, #5)