Start by marking “Gryphon's Eyrie (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #7)” as Want to Read:
Gryphon's Eyrie (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #7)

Gryphon's Eyrie (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle #7)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  646 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Long ago the Old Ones retreated past the misty mountains into Arvon. Yet the remnants of the forces that they controlled linger on, in the ancient Places of Power, in the strange carvings and relics of the Waste, and in the blood of humankind, some of whom have inherited a strange gift, or curse, of Power along with their mixed heritage.

Amber cats’ eyes and cloven hooves a
Published January 1st 1984 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Gryphon's Eyrie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gryphon's Eyrie

Cornerofmadness
Valerie
I have to say many blurbs are misleading in the extreme. This one, for example, doesn't include the fact that quite a few refugee clans from Native American tribes seem to've found their way into the Witch World (Arvon especially). In this book, it's the Kioga, who play a fairly major part in the story. The series description is inaccurate, as
well--none of the action takes place in High Hallack.

The final resolution of That Which Runs The Ridges is not very satisfying, because the intermediate v
Jana Denardo
Dec 16, 2015 Jana Denardo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Reading some of these old Nortons that have been on my shelf for decades. Didn't know this was #7 in a series so obviously I didn't enjoy it too much
Strigine
Feb 05, 2015 Strigine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've owned this and the previous two books for years and have read them several times (rereading the second one right now, in fact).
Jon
Nov 11, 2015 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sadly didn't distinguish itself terribly well from Glory, again being driven by "mysterious promptings from within". I like the spiritual connection to the past, but it's dull to give the present character basically nothing to do besides be a vessel. The back quarter or so managed a lot of weaving-together of threads both from the Gryphon trilogy and the rest of Witch World.
Anne Elizabeth
The characters don't share their thoughts and feelings as much in this book as they did in the two earlier Gryphon books. I have to suspect that's A.C. Crispin's influence, since The Crystal Gryphon and Gryphon in Glory were written by Andre Norton alone, while this is co-written by the two. It's still good enough for me to continue with the sequel, another cowritten work, this time apparently about one or more of these characters' children. {Smile}
Aldrea Alien
Jun 13, 2016 Aldrea Alien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Andre Norton book I read and even though I went in with absolutely no knowledge of what had come before, I was able to connect and follow the story due to the exceptional way this tale has been done. It has led me to collect the Witch World series when I was sceptical of whether I would like it and Andre herself is one of my most admired authors.
Michelle
Feb 13, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Another one from my favorite author in high school... from my collection of 40 or so of her novels) I skipped the book in between books 1 & 3, but I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy this one so much... I love the vocabulary, and it had a little romance in it as well which I'm sure appealed to the romantic in me :o)
Kenneth Flusche
Oct 19, 2013 Kenneth Flusche rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in Tribute to the Late Ms. Crispin brought back memories of Norton from 40 years ago. More something for my sisters or even my daughter but an ok yarn.
Peggy Lo
Aug 22, 2007 Peggy Lo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
i have to say, eyrie is one of my favorite words

colleen
read 09.14.85
Heather Waite
Heather Waite marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
J.E.S. Hays
J.E.S. Hays rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Marjorie Trull
Marjorie Trull marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Colin Dijkgraaf
Colin Dijkgraaf marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Diana Blick
Diana Blick rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Gene
Gene marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Jr
Jr marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Marc Kohlman
Marc Kohlman marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Monika
Monika added it
Jun 20, 2016
Phil Taylor
Phil Taylor rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
  • Jerlayne
  • The Moon and the Face (Kyreol, #2)
  • Kutath (The Faded Sun, #3)
  • Magicians of Quality (Cecelia & Kate, #1-2)
  • The Adventures of King Midas
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • The Dancers of Arun (Chronicles of Tornor, #2)
  • If Wishes Were Horses
  • Black Trillium (The Saga of the Trillium, #1)
  • The Claidi Collection
  • The Center of the Circle
  • Sorcerer's Son (The Book of Elementals, #1)
  • Pyromancer (Mancer, #1)
  • Drinker of Souls (Drinker of Souls, #1)
  • The Golden Naginata (Tomoe Gozen, #2)
  • Elak of Atlantis
  • Heroes Return (Hero, #5)
  • The Goblin Brothers Adventures
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Horn Crown (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #0)
  • Year of the Unicorn (Witch World Series 2, High Hallack Cycle, #1)
  • Spell of the Witch World (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #2)
  • The Jargoon Pard (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #3)
  • Zarsthor's Bane (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #4)
  • The Crystal Gryphon (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #5)
  • Gryphon in Glory (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #6)
  • Were Wrath
  • Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #9)
  • Silver May Tarnish (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #10)