Start by marking “A History of Archaeological Thought” as Want to Read:
A History of Archaeological Thought

A History of Archaeological Thought

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The development of archeological thought is analyzed by examining archeological history to determine to what extent its trends reflect archeologists' personal & collective interests.
List of Illustrations
Preface
The relevance of archaeological history
Classical archaeology & antiquarianism
The beginnings of scientific archaeology
The imperial synthesis
Culture-historic
Published January 26th 1990 by Cambridge University Press (Cambridge et al.) (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about A History of Archaeological Thought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Archaeological Thought

Ginger K
Jun 10, 2010 Ginger K rated it it was ok
I keep this book to cure insomnia. I have never been able to get through an entire chapter without falling asleep, regardless of where or when I'm reading it. It should be interesting! It's not poorly written! I have NO IDEA what my problem with it is.
Sohvi
May 10, 2013 Sohvi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: archaeologists, students
Shelves: archaeology, science
Well written and comprehensive book. For all those who are interested in archaeological methods and theories behind the practice.
Annie
Oct 22, 2008 Annie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Archaeologists
Wow, welcome to grad school Annie...
Michele
Jan 19, 2016 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first time I read this book, I read it in a week. I didn't like it. The second time I read it, I was under pressure and I hated it. This is the type of book that deserves some time, like a soup sitting all day in a crock pot. It's understandable that people find that "A History of Archaeological Thought" as an overwhelming and daunting book, but if read slowly over time in digestible chunks, then, it becomes interesting.

Archaeologists are influenced by the world around them, and this become
Sam Beer
Jan 08, 2016 Sam Beer rated it really liked it
Well, I ended up reading it in less than a year. Barely. The breaks in reading were many.

I don't feel particularly qualified to write a review about it, as approximately the entirety of everything I know about the history of archaeological thought is what I learned in this book--I don't know how to evaluate its content in a way external to it itself. I would say that it seemed like Trigger tried to strike an interesting balance between summarizing 300ish years of different schools of thought in
Taylor
Jan 20, 2015 Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: scholarship
A good book to have on your shelf if only for the bibliography. Trigger includes many non-English sources that I would have otherwise overlooked. Definitely a dry read, but it does give a fairly comprehensive overview of the development of the discipline.
Kate
Dec 19, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trigger is the definitive text when it comes to understanding the historical context for archaeological theory.
Caitlin
May 17, 2014 Caitlin rated it it was ok
trying to read whole chapters for Archaeology tutorials was such a hard thing. kept putting me to sleep.
Catherine Bishop
I only read a few chapters for my studies, but this is really boring. Hard to read. Hard to understand. Hard to stay motivated to carry on.

However, a pretty important book for archaeological theory.
Sara
Mar 03, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
The first chapter was very confusing, as was some of the later ones, but maybe that's just because I am not so good with the theoretical stuff...BUt I would recommend reading the first chapter last.
Melanie
Jan 06, 2011 Melanie rated it liked it
Pretty good at describing the various ways of approaching archaeology through the ages using specific sites as examples.
Lee Broderick
A comprehensive guide to the subject: to the extent that "consulting Trigger" is a phrase known to most archaeologists.
Jaime
Aug 04, 2013 Jaime rated it liked it
An impressive life's work, but I prefer the updated 2nd edition.
Aimee
Nov 20, 2009 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the theory dork in all of us.
Sarah Morgan
Sarah Morgan is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Dudit Lee
Dudit Lee marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Peto Tkac
Peto Tkac marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Soheil
Soheil marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Hannah MacGuire
Hannah MacGuire marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Beth
Beth added it
Mar 23, 2016
Benedikt
Benedikt is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2016
Colin Martin
Colin Martin rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Malvinka
Malvinka rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Deb Lavelle
Deb Lavelle rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
arhoff
arhoff is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2016
  • The Complete Pompeii
  • Home Life in Colonial Days
  • Modern Iran. Roots and Results of Revolution, Updated Edition
  • Conquest: Montezuma, Cortes and the Fall of Old Mexico
Bruce Graham Trigger, OC OQ FRSC was a Canadian archaeologist, anthropologist, and ethnohistorian.

Born in Preston, Ontario, he received a doctorate in archaeology from Yale University in 1964. His research interests at that time included the history of archaeological research and the comparative study of early cultures. He spent the following year teaching at Northwestern University and then took
More about Bruce G. Trigger...

“Clark also maintained that someone with no excavation experience was not equipped to interpret archaeological data, thereby implicitly denying the distinction that some British culture-historical archaeologists were drawing between archaeologists and prehistorians.” 0 likes