When Irish Guys Are Smiling

When Irish Guys Are Smiling (Students Across the Seven Seas)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  720 ratings  ·  76 reviews
For seventeen-year-old Delk Sinclair, studying abroad in Ireland means one thing: escape. Delk is tired of hearing about her friends' debutante parties, watching her pregnant stepmother redecorate her mother's house, and having to smile sweetly even though she doesn't think she'll ever get over losing her mother. Ireland is Delk's chance to be happy. With the stunning gree...more
Published January 10th 2008 by Speak

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Delk Sinclair can't wait to get as far away from Nashville, Tennessee, as she can. Her mother passed away two years ago, and her father has remarried someone that is only ten years older than she is. And her new stepmother is going to have a baby. On top of that, it's almost time to start presenting to society. Without her mom by her side, the last thing Delk wants to do is go through the frenzy of debutante preparations. So Delk finds herself in Ireland fo...more
Valerie
I read this book partly because it sounded interesting. Partly because I wanted to go back to realistic fiction and partly because I want to say I've read all of Supplee's books to date. Our protagonist, Delk, has lost her mother. So to escape her life back in Nashville, Tennesse were her new step mother who is now pregnant and redecorating her house, Delk decides to spend a semester in Ireland.

I expected this to be light and fun. It was for the most part. And Delk grieving for her mother is su...more
Celina
Starting with the title, I picked this book because it had the words Irish, guys, and smiles. I have a feeling that it intrigued me because of the recent One Direction outburst that has captured the world. Anyway...

This book is a contemporary young adult fiction. I will say ahead of time that I’m not quite the fan of contemporary young adult, however, this book was interesting. It’s mainly about a teenage girl (Delk Sinclair) in hopes of running away from her past by studying abroad to Ireland....more
Nathaly

Queriendo escapar de su situación familiar, fiestas debutantes y re-decoraciones, Delk Sinclair se inscribe en E.A.S.M. Un programa para jóvenes donde son enviados a diferentes partes del mundo para aprender las diversas culturas. ¿Podrá Irlanda, con sus grandes extensiones de verde y su hermosa cultura, ayudar a Delk a encontrarse a si misma?

Recuerdo haber agregado este libro a mi to-read en julio del año pasado y por fin encontrarlo en pdf fue como ver el sol en una semana lluviosa.

Este libr...more
Jasmin Bull
1. Why did you decide to read this book?

It was recommended to me from a girl in my intermediate and the cover looked very appealing.

2. Which category on the bingo board does this complete?

A book written by a female author.

3. Favourite quote of the book?

“One thing about stern teachers is that if you ever actually get a compliment out of them, it truly means something.”

4. Something new I learned from this book is:

Getting away from people and troubles in a new atmosphere or country can make everyt...more
Carmel Kelly
When this popped up on my Goodreads and I saw it was set in Ireland, I thought, what the heck, may as well. WELL, I shall warn you now, if you are Irish, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT read this book.

It's terrible. I don't know where the author got her information about how Ireland works, but it's way off. It's so off, it's not even cliched. I read somewhere that she visited the West of Ireland but she must live in a completely different West of Ireland that I live in.

The book in general is boring and...more
Mary Andrikus
I enjoy this book a lot. This book makes me want to try study over board for summer because it looks like a lot of fun! New experience, new friends, new feelings, new people, etc. I enjoy reading stories about Ireland too that makes me just want to go there & enjoy Ireland like Delk does. Since I read this book, now I know few Irish cultures (slang, attitudes, weather, etc) and a little bit of their background scenery.

The ending is kind of a bummer for me tho. I mean, I like the part when D...more
Stella St georgian
the last page was ripped this book was boring to much romance and clique
Lidia Biebs
Bueno, aquí una historia linda, divertida, sencilla y llena de ¡verde!

Delk quiere mudarse a Irlanda a un intercambio escolar para dejar atrás su triste pasado con su familia y los problemas que surgen por causa de este. Ella sabe que quiere irse el lo mejor, y viajar a otro país y continente sería lo más conveniente y se decide a enviar la solicitud y espera con ansias ser aceptada para intercambio de Estudiantes A través De los Siete Mares.

Pather ayuda a su padre ya que todas sus hermanas están...more
Yasmin M
Boring, childish and rather random.

I only read it because I absolutely love Ireland and I thought maybe it would be like "Anna and the french kiss" which had deep characters and a good plot. This meanwhile has very shallow characters and no depth or dimensions to anything whether be it the plot, the ending, the conversations or even the climax [there pretty much wasn't a climax]

I specifically disliked Pather because honestly, he was one of the most boring heroes ever! Irish men have a reputation...more
María Belén
Sobre todas las cosas en la tierra, me considero una romántica empedernida totalmente obsesionada con encontrar el amor verdadero. Así que dejando eso en claro, comienzo con esta reseña.

Como hago últimamente, no quiero darles la de re spoilers, por lo que diré las cosas que me encantaron y no tanto del libro.

Delk es una chica de 17 años que fue a Irlanda en un viaje de intercambio, por tres meses, ella decidió salir de Nashville porque su madre había muerto y ella se estaba hartando de sus mejo...more
Leeankh
I really like this series because they tend to feature strong and smart female protagonists that learn a lot about themselves while traveling and studying abroad. I love that I can share these books with my young teenage cousins and feel good about it. This is another great installment that I will happily pass along to young female readers. This particular installment follows Delk, a young girl trying to escape all of the changes in her life following the death of her mother. She goes to Ireland...more
Francy Narváez
Durante diecisiete años, para Delk Sinclair, estudiar en un internado en Irlanda ha significado una cosa: escapar. Delk está cansada de escuchar acerca de las fiestas de debutantes de sus amigas, ver a su madrastra embarazada redecorar la casa de su madre, y tener que sonreír dulcemente a pesar de que no cree que nunca vaya a superar la pérdida de su madre.

Irlanda es la oportunidad de Delk para ser feliz. Con el impresionante
paisaje verde como telón de fondo, Delk se deleita en todas las cosas d
Courtney
I liked it made me feel like I was in Ireland, the ending seemed like she could not think of anything better or was bored and just wrapped it up quickly. I get bored with too much description so the story development was good to me. I will admit I kept expecting something bad to happen and nothing really did, nice change but also left me feeling like something was missing. Over all good easy read.
Traci
I first saw this book on the new books shelves in the Teen section and the Irish cover caught my eye since I have Irish history and have always been interested in going to Ireland someday so I thought...why not?! I later discovered that the book is an ongoing series of S.A.S.S. (Students Across the Seven Seas). I first thought that Supplee the author of this book was the author of each book but it turns out that each small novel has a different author so each should have a different writing styl...more
Kathleen
I love the SASS series. These are great reads for girls ages 13 - 16 (perfect for summer).

Each book is a stand alone story but all of them have the same premise. The SASS (Students Across the Seven Seas) program is a semester abroad program so each book features a different girl headed off to a foreign country.

Each main character has her own issues to solve while learning about the country they are living in. Girls will love the believable, every day issues while parents will love the educationa...more
Kai (Amaterasu Reads)
Allie Rae
I loved every character in this book! Pather and Delk's romance was so cute! Well enough of the exclamation points, now I am going to tell you what I didn't like about the book.

Honestly the only thing I didn't like about the book was the fact that even after Delk helped Katie with her wedding, Katie didn't put her in the wedding party! The other thing I didn't like was that Delk had a southern accent. Now my southern accent isn't very good so it's hard for me to imagine that part of her charact...more
Megan Wong
This book is about a girl name Delk who travels to Treland through the S.A.S.S. Program. By traveling she believes she can leave all her troubles and stress behind, like her father's new marrige, her soon-to-be-born sibling and her materialistic friends. In Ireland, she expierences adventures that she would never have thogh possible. Along the way she makes new friends like Pather and along her journery, he helps her to realize the importance of family and friends.
I would recommend this book to...more
Bethany
I read this while my boyfriend was studying abroad in Clonbur, Ireland--close to where this book is set. It's a fast read, but I wouldn't say it made me feel like I knew what he was actually experiencing in country. I am now 22 and may be getting a little too old for the S.A.S.S books, but once I start a series I try to finish it. Enjoyed it while reading; but will probably not remember it at all in a month. Delk acted like a typical 16-year-old in love and since I am studying in to be a teacher...more
Grace Revilla
This is a light-hearted novel for teens. And a nice story about families and grief. :)
Johanness
I thought this was brilliant, the troubles she went through was quite different from all the rest I've read of this series so far, and it was such a fun book to read! Suzanne Supplee did a wonderful job, the scenery in the book, the characters and the minor and major issues that the characters under-went.
Pather and Delk together, the things that were written about them, was honestly just so sweet and romantic and just captivating, I love this series, it's just so good! The irish culture and the...more
Ember_is_unique
S.A.S.S. books are amazing
Razel
I love all the books in S.A.S.S. series!
Andrea
Nice book. The Irish landscapes stole my heart. I now find myself interested in the place, and will make some research of it. Pather was an uncommon name for a main character, but I definitely loved his pure personality. Delk was also a strange name for a main character, but I guess it doesn't really matter. I liked her vivid personality too.
Pather's family seemed like a dream, and the place was just fabulous. I wish I could go there some day.
Great book, not too eccentric, and not too shallow....more
Hannah
Delk needs to get away from home. Her mum died two years ago, her dad re-married to a girl 30 years his junior and now she's getting a new step-sibling. So when an opportunity for her to go to Ireland on a S.A.S.S. programme presents itself how can she say no? Instead of going there just to get away she ends up absolutely falling in love with the place, and the boy she meets there.

It was an easy read that didn't have a terribly good storyline but, what the hay.. I still thourally enjoyed it.
Ivonne
pensaba que seria un libro igual que otros por su principio pero a medida que avanzaba me di cuenta que no.
esta lleno de enseñanza y aprendizaje que te demuestra como un cambio de perspectiva de ver las cosas diferentes y estar lejos de lo que uno conoce puede hacer que comprendas las cosas y te des cuenta que todo tiene una razon y hay que vivir con lo que te depara la vida, tanto las cosas buenas como malas puesto que estas te ayudaran a madurar y entender mejor las cosas...
Rebecca
I thought this book was a cute, fun romance. I did enjoy it- a good, light, summer read. It isn't too serious, I thought there might be some more sad/emotional parts (because she is still grieving) but there were not many and they were all very quick. She kind of blurted out that her mother was dead every time she told someone and it felt a bit rushed but I don't know if that is realistic or not.
Anyway, I would recommend it to someone looking for a quick YA romance.
Molly
For seventeen-year-old Delk, studying in Ireland means one thing: escape. She wants to escape her new stepmother and friend's debutante parties as she tries to get over the death of her mother. She revels in all things Irish and meets a handsome Irishman as well.

I thought this would be silly, but it actually had a lot of heart. It dealt with real issues against the backdrop of my absolute favorite country. It was fun to read. I would recommend it as such.
Jenny
This was a cute romantic read for teens. Delk is from Nashville, and she just wants to leave her old life behind and start fresh in Ireland. She hides the fact her mother died two years ago from everyone but the cute boy who lives on the farm next to the castle the Students Across the Seven Seas program uses for a school. But Ireland has a magic way of changing people, and Delk begins to learn that life can go on, even if things change.
  • The Finnish Line
  • Girl Overboard
  • Getting the Boot
  • Up Over Down Under
  • Fact of Life #31
  • Lo que todo gato quiere
  • Knitwise (Chicks with Sticks, #3)
  • The Fruit of My Lipstick (All About Us, #2)
  • How to Hook a Hottie
  • Competition's a Witch (Salem Witch, #2)
  • Besos de murciélago
  • Something Wicked (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #2)
  • Kisses and Lies (Scarlett Wakefield, #2)
Suzanne Supplee is the author of When Irish Guys Are Smiling, a Students Across the Seven Seas series book, and Artichoke’s Heart. Currently, Suzanne is working on her third book, untitled as of yet, but due out in the spring of 2010.
Suzanne is a graduate of Southern Illinois University, and she earned a masters degree in creative writing from Towson University in Maryland. For a number of years,...more
More about Suzanne Supplee...
Artichoke's Heart Somebody Everybody Listens To

“Those who’ve known great sadness have a better appreciation for happiness. Those who’ve seen death know the value of life.” 13 likes
“Life is a constant struggle” 11 likes