Start by marking “When Irish Guys Are Smiling ” as Want to Read:
When Irish Guys Are Smiling

When Irish Guys Are Smiling (Students Across the Seven Seas)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  900 ratings  ·  89 reviews
For seventeen-year-old Delk Sinclair, studying abroad in Ireland means one thing: escape. Delk is tired of hearing about her friends? debutante parties, watching her pregnant stepmother redecorate her mother?s house, and having to smile sweetly even though she doesn?t think she?ll ever get over losing her mother. Ireland is Delk?s chance to be happy. With the stunning gree ...more
Published January 10th 2008 by Speak

To ask other readers questions about When Irish Guys Are Smiling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Irish Guys Are Smiling

Tormenta
2015 Reading Challenge: #50 Empezado y jamás terminado.

Lo empecé a leer cuando tenía trece años. ME RESULTÓ UNA TONTERÍA (mirá hasta qué punto che, antes leía cualquier cosa y era re tontita) y sin embargo lo abandoné. Es un libro muy cortito, pero en esa época no tenía tantas ganas de terminarlo.

PEERO, ahora que lo terminé de leer, no estuvo tan mal como pensé. Es decir, fue todo TAN cursi, cliché, lleno de insta-love y un poco de drama (para terminar de condimentar la historia, nunca falta), p
Carmel
When this popped up on my Goodreads and I saw it was set in Ireland, I thought, what the heck, may as well. WELL, I shall warn you now, if you are Irish, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT read this book.

It's terrible. I don't know where the author got her information about how Ireland works, but it's way off. It's so off, it's not even cliched. I read somewhere that she visited the West of Ireland but she must live in a completely different West of Ireland that I live in.

The book in general is boring and
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Delk Sinclair can't wait to get as far away from Nashville, Tennessee, as she can. Her mother passed away two years ago, and her father has remarried someone that is only ten years older than she is. And her new stepmother is going to have a baby. On top of that, it's almost time to start presenting to society. Without her mom by her side, the last thing Delk wants to do is go through the frenzy of debutante preparations. So Delk finds herself in Ireland fo
Valerie
I read this book partly because it sounded interesting. Partly because I wanted to go back to realistic fiction and partly because I want to say I've read all of Supplee's books to date. Our protagonist, Delk, has lost her mother. So to escape her life back in Nashville, Tennesse were her new step mother who is now pregnant and redecorating her house, Delk decides to spend a semester in Ireland.

I expected this to be light and fun. It was for the most part. And Delk grieving for her mother is su
Celina
Starting with the title, I picked this book because it had the words Irish, guys, and smiles. I have a feeling that it intrigued me because of the recent One Direction outburst that has captured the world. Anyway...

This book is a contemporary young adult fiction. I will say ahead of time that I’m not quite the fan of contemporary young adult, however, this book was interesting. It’s mainly about a teenage girl (Delk Sinclair) in hopes of running away from her past by studying abroad to Ireland.
Nathaly

Queriendo escapar de su situación familiar, fiestas debutantes y re-decoraciones, Delk Sinclair se inscribe en E.A.S.M. Un programa para jóvenes donde son enviados a diferentes partes del mundo para aprender las diversas culturas. ¿Podrá Irlanda, con sus grandes extensiones de verde y su hermosa cultura, ayudar a Delk a encontrarse a si misma?

Recuerdo haber agregado este libro a mi to-read en julio del año pasado y por fin encontrarlo en pdf fue como ver el sol en una semana lluviosa.

Este libr
Jasmin Bull
1. Why did you decide to read this book?

It was recommended to me from a girl in my intermediate and the cover looked very appealing.

2. Which category on the bingo board does this complete?

A book written by a female author.

3. Favourite quote of the book?

“One thing about stern teachers is that if you ever actually get a compliment out of them, it truly means something.”

4. Something new I learned from this book is:

Getting away from people and troubles in a new atmosphere or country can make everyt
Irena
Mar 02, 2015 Irena marked it as to-read
Since my boyfriend told me there's a great chance for us to pack our bags and move to Ireland in about a year, I need something to set a mental picture in my mind, just so I could imagine how it would be like living there...
Mary Andrikus
I enjoy this book a lot. This book makes me want to try study over board for summer because it looks like a lot of fun! New experience, new friends, new feelings, new people, etc. I enjoy reading stories about Ireland too that makes me just want to go there & enjoy Ireland like Delk does. Since I read this book, now I know few Irish cultures (slang, attitudes, weather, etc) and a little bit of their background scenery.

The ending is kind of a bummer for me tho. I mean, I like the part when D
Katie
So first let me clear the record, when I started this book I was not assuming that it was going to be some literary masterpiece like the next Pride and Prejudice. I was expecting cheesy, travel based romance. I was expecting to like that cheesy romance because it's Valentine's Day and sometimes you need to splurge. Unfortunately, I just wasted a few hours of my life on something that transcended the realm of cheesy into something completely unknown and awful. The main character whined for a diet ...more
Tashina
I chose this book mostly because it was set in Ireland, a place I've always dreamt of going. What wonderful descriptions of the country! The author made me feel like I was really there!
Nikki
This book is my guilty pleasure. It's like watching a shitty chick flick, and I am so down for it.
Istiningdyah
It's more like 3.5 stars
I like When Irish Guys Are Smiling a lot more than the other SASS books that I've read this April.
Mostly because Delk is easy to like. All of the characters in this book is likable (except a certain person *cough*Latreece*cough*).
Delk enjoys her stays in Ireland. She makes the most of the exchange program. So she learns a lot from the trip. She does have her own issues, but she manages to sort it out throughout the trip.
I don't know for sure if the depiction of Ireland an
Stella St georgian
the last page was ripped this book was boring to much romance and clique
Liralen
Delk is off to Ireland for the semester, and she's glad to be gone -- at home in Tennessee, her stepmother (who is young enough to be Delk's sister, but not old enough to be her mother) is both pregnant and determined to redecorate; it's coming-out season; above all, Delk just misses her mother.

Now...it took me a while to get into this. Delk is as preppy as a preppy girl can be, and her brand-naming gets old fast. She's also convinced that her new friend Iris would be pretty if only she slathere
Lidia Biebs
Bueno, aquí una historia linda, divertida, sencilla y llena de ¡verde!

Delk quiere mudarse a Irlanda a un intercambio escolar para dejar atrás su triste pasado con su familia y los problemas que surgen por causa de este. Ella sabe que quiere irse el lo mejor, y viajar a otro país y continente sería lo más conveniente y se decide a enviar la solicitud y espera con ansias ser aceptada para intercambio de Estudiantes A través De los Siete Mares.

Pather ayuda a su padre ya que todas sus hermanas están
Yasmin M
Boring, childish and rather random.

I only read it because I absolutely love Ireland and I thought maybe it would be like "Anna and the french kiss" which had deep characters and a good plot. This meanwhile has very shallow characters and no depth or dimensions to anything whether be it the plot, the ending, the conversations or even the climax [there pretty much wasn't a climax]

I specifically disliked Pather because honestly, he was one of the most boring heroes ever! Irish men have a reputation
María Belén
Sobre todas las cosas en la tierra, me considero una romántica empedernida totalmente obsesionada con encontrar el amor verdadero. Así que dejando eso en claro, comienzo con esta reseña.

Como hago últimamente, no quiero darles la de re spoilers, por lo que diré las cosas que me encantaron y no tanto del libro.

Delk es una chica de 17 años que fue a Irlanda en un viaje de intercambio, por tres meses, ella decidió salir de Nashville porque su madre había muerto y ella se estaba hartando de sus mejo
Leeankh
I really like this series because they tend to feature strong and smart female protagonists that learn a lot about themselves while traveling and studying abroad. I love that I can share these books with my young teenage cousins and feel good about it. This is another great installment that I will happily pass along to young female readers. This particular installment follows Delk, a young girl trying to escape all of the changes in her life following the death of her mother. She goes to Ireland ...more
Francy Narvaez
Durante diecisiete años, para Delk Sinclair, estudiar en un internado en Irlanda ha significado una cosa: escapar. Delk está cansada de escuchar acerca de las fiestas de debutantes de sus amigas, ver a su madrastra embarazada redecorar la casa de su madre, y tener que sonreír dulcemente a pesar de que no cree que nunca vaya a superar la pérdida de su madre.

Irlanda es la oportunidad de Delk para ser feliz. Con el impresionante
paisaje verde como telón de fondo, Delk se deleita en todas las cosas d
Kyomarys
I'm so sad this book was so short! I breezed through it!

It was lovely. I enjoyed it very much.
Delk's issues and emotions are relatable, even if you haven't lost someone. You can understand the feelings of loneliness and unhappiness.

All her friends Iris, Lucy, Trend, ect were a wonderful addition to the cast of characters.
The author paid attention to everyone else, gave you glimpse of their individual personalities.

My favorite part and the main reason I choose the book was because of Ireland.
Courtney
I liked it made me feel like I was in Ireland, the ending seemed like she could not think of anything better or was bored and just wrapped it up quickly. I get bored with too much description so the story development was good to me. I will admit I kept expecting something bad to happen and nothing really did, nice change but also left me feeling like something was missing. Over all good easy read.
Traci
I first saw this book on the new books shelves in the Teen section and the Irish cover caught my eye since I have Irish history and have always been interested in going to Ireland someday so I thought...why not?! I later discovered that the book is an ongoing series of S.A.S.S. (Students Across the Seven Seas). I first thought that Supplee the author of this book was the author of each book but it turns out that each small novel has a different author so each should have a different writing styl ...more
Kathleen
I love the SASS series. These are great reads for girls ages 13 - 16 (perfect for summer).

Each book is a stand alone story but all of them have the same premise. The SASS (Students Across the Seven Seas) program is a semester abroad program so each book features a different girl headed off to a foreign country.

Each main character has her own issues to solve while learning about the country they are living in. Girls will love the believable, every day issues while parents will love the educationa
Lilian
This is a great book if you want something to read over the summer.
I think its probably one of the best book that i have ever read
My favourite character was Delk because she is a kind-hearted girl who helps everyone
i recommend this book to people who like to read about girls travelling.
Kai (Amaterasu Reads)
Beth Rodgers
I really enjoyed reading about Delk (the main character) and her friends as they explored Ireland. The description of the landscape was well done - good enough to make me feel as though I want to visit and see it for myself. I enjoyed also how there wasn't really another person who Delk didn't get along with, but rather, she was battling her own issues, so it was more of an internal conflict throughout. A very enjoyable read from start to finish!
Abigail
Este libro es bueno para una rato de lectura ligera, con una historia bonita y muy amena. No es así como la mejor historia del mundo, pero es sencilla y linda.
Allie Rae
I loved every character in this book! Pather and Delk's romance was so cute! Well enough of the exclamation points, now I am going to tell you what I didn't like about the book.

Honestly the only thing I didn't like about the book was the fact that even after Delk helped Katie with her wedding, Katie didn't put her in the wedding party! The other thing I didn't like was that Delk had a southern accent. Now my southern accent isn't very good so it's hard for me to imagine that part of her charact
Megan Wong
This book is about a girl name Delk who travels to Treland through the S.A.S.S. Program. By traveling she believes she can leave all her troubles and stress behind, like her father's new marrige, her soon-to-be-born sibling and her materialistic friends. In Ireland, she expierences adventures that she would never have thogh possible. Along the way she makes new friends like Pather and along her journery, he helps her to realize the importance of family and friends.
I would recommend this book to
  • The Finnish Line
  • Girl Overboard
  • The Great Call of China
  • Getting the Boot
  • Up Over Down Under
  • Some Girls Do (Love Stories For Young Adults, #11)
  • Lo que todo gato quiere
  • Knitwise (Chicks with Sticks, #3)
  • Fact of Life #31
  • Tainted Love (Nannies, #4)
  • Something Wicked (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #2)
  • Competition's a Witch (Salem Witch, #2)
  • Se solicita novio… ¡Urgente!
  • The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren (Simon Romantic Comedies)
Suzanne Supplee is the author of When Irish Guys Are Smiling, a Students Across the Seven Seas series book, and Artichoke’s Heart. Currently, Suzanne is working on her third book, untitled as of yet, but due out in the spring of 2010.
Suzanne is a graduate of Southern Illinois University, and she earned a masters degree in creative writing from Towson University in Maryland. For a number of years,
More about Suzanne Supplee...

Students Across the Seven Seas (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Westminster Abby
  • Swede Dreams
  • Girl Overboard
  • The Finnish Line
Artichoke's Heart Somebody Everybody Listens To

“Those who’ve known great sadness have a better appreciation for happiness. Those who’ve seen death know the value of life.” 13 likes
“How did your mother die?” asked Delk.
“Car accident,” Katie replied, gazing out over the water. “She’d been to mass. A tire blew on the way home, and she was gone. I was nineteen, Pather’s age, when it happened. My brother was only eleven.” She paused. “I do know what you’re going through.” Katie looked at her.
“Pather told you?” Katie nodded. Delk was glad Pather had told his sister; she was relieved not to have to tell the story again. “Does it ever . . . you know . . . get any better?”
Katie shrugged her narrow shoulders and smiled. “In some ways it does, but it’s a bit like running a long race with a rock in your shoe. You get used to it, but it always hurts a little.”
12 likes