Bitter Fruit

Bitter Fruit

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  530 ratings  ·  58 reviews
With the publication of Kafka's Curse, Achmat Dangor established himself as an utterly singular voice in South African fiction. His new novel, a finalist for the Man Booker Prize and the IMPAC-Dublin Literary Award, is a clear-eyed, witty, yet deeply serious look at South Africa's political history and its damaging legacy in the lives of those who live there.
The last time...more
Published March 16th 2005 by Grove Press, Black Cat (first published November 30th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Bitter Fruit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitter Fruit

Dreams Come True by Bridgitte LesleyLong Walk to Freedom by Nelson MandelaDisgrace by J.M. CoetzeeCry, the Beloved Country by Alan PatonMy Traitor's Heart by Rian Malan
Best South African reads
68th out of 136 books — 86 voters
Things Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichiePurple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieThe Liquidator by Iain ParkeSo Long a Letter by Mariama Bâ
African Fiction
136th out of 213 books — 198 voters

More lists with this book...

Bill Eberle
I'll admit I struggled with this one. Overall, it was an interesting read. The characters were well drawn and the story was compelling. And it seemed like an insightful piece of South African history.

But the author's writing style was...well, bizarre. There was this early fascination with farting -- the sound, the smell, it was distracting. And everyone seemed to be involved in, or contemplating, incest. Everyone. Then there was a chapter where the author seemed obsessed with smells: dogs, monk...more
Zoë
This book really touched and inspired me, beginning as it does with a couple who have to revisit the wife's rape by a South African police officer during Apartheid. Dangor creates a sympathetic but unsentimental portrait of the wife Lydia, who suffers Catholic guilt and becomes more and more estranged from her husband. It is most powerful though in its portrayal of Mikey, the son of Lydia's rape, and increasing preoccupation with violence. The message of the book is that violence has long-lastin...more
Julia Thomas-Singh
It's a tough book to read, as will be discovered from the very first scene. The imagery is absolutely stunning -- both when the moment is dark, and when it's beautiful. Dangor does not shy away from experiencing both ends of the spectrum, though he does prefer to stay at the dark. In the process, urgent questions are asked, beginning with the first one: how can you forgive? South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission may in theory be a noble one, but in practice, how? By the end of the bo...more
Katie
This was a week of learning about South Africa. I really didn't know anything before this except that they had this apartheid thing and Nelson Mandela was from there. The book explores some history of the struggle for equality, but is more focused on the here and now and the aftermath of apartheid and the anti-apartheid movement.

Overall, it was a bit depressing. Not because it was about extreme racial segregation and mistreatment, but because all of the characters in this book were depressed. T...more
Paula
Como o titulo indica... amargo. Tem um ambiente obscuro sem ser fatalista. As personagens vivem juntas, mas todas confinadas ao seu espaço(s) e momento. Gostei da liberdade que o fim nos transmite... mas apenas para uma das personagens. As outras libertaram-se dos outros, mas não de si mesmos.
Fica um gosto amargo no fundo da boca ao ler-se um livro tão cru, tão real, visceral, que expõem o interior de cada um dos personagens, que nos faz sentir repulsa, pena... ódio...

Mas está certamente dentro...more
Athena Kennedy
in post-apartheid South Africa, the Ali family's broken relationships are on display in this miserable little novel. The Bitter Fruit of the title is Silas Ali's warm beer of escape, white Kate and Julian's newborn democracy in which they are no longer wanted, and, most especially, Lydia Ali's son Mikey, born after her rape over 19 years ago.

Achmat Dangor's expression of all of this bitterness is in the various troubled sexual activities, encounters and desires of his cast of characters. They in...more
Gabriela
This novel is like a slow waltz among contextual elements of relationships, struggles and expression in Dangor's bitter South Africa. I love its slow rythm so much, it is so powerful, so meticulous and analytical.
Mary
The bitter fruits of apartheid� I found this book to be very engaging and was unable to put it down. Set in South Africa during the Truth &Reconciliation period it was just as described!
Barb Newman
I really enjoyed the book. It taught me a lot about life in South Africa. While it's a small part of the book, it was hard to read about the types of events that happened during the apartheid. One tragic incident in particular changes the trajectory of a young couple forever. As the layers of the story are revealed, we learn about the great strength of the people that endure.
Sandy
This is a gnarly book about post-apartheid South Africa and the desperation people felt, leading them to incest, rape, and murder (to name a few). Similar to what others have said, it felt conflicting to get too involved with the characters as the setting was beyond anything I have personally lived through. However, I still found Dangor's writing style to be captivating, which was necessary to finish a book with such uncomfortable subject matter. I felt compelled to finish: people live in that t...more
Ezekel Alan
I would have given a 5 star but for the slow pace of this book. It starts beguiling slow, like a Waltz, and only very gradually builds up its tempo, but it is written with exquisite grace and prose. I can see all the reasons it was short-listed for the Man Booker prize, and also why it perhaps didn't win. This is a powerful story of a family disintegrating, and the plot emerges with delicate craft. The dialogue is brilliant, and the look at a nascent new South Africa insightful. The first half o...more
Seda
Quiet interesting to read, yet very heavy language with Dutch terms.
Lori
I picked up this book on a whim and had trouble initially getting into it. The characters were a little confusing, but I found myself getting caught up in the story line. A tale of the disintegration of a family living in Soweto. The father - involved in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. The mother a complex and restrained woman who is made to pay for her husband's work. Their irresistible son who decides to avenge the pains his mother has had to pay. Some disturbing twists and turns and...more
Amber
Set within the context of post apartheid South Africa, this novel is a disturbing entry into the lives of a family torn apart by the mother´s rape that occurred 20 years prior. While the story is richly written and decidedly rhythmic, it is hard to get past the darker elements of the story--especially those related to incest-- which often seemed to be purposefully implanted for shock value and distracted from the emotional content of the narrative. I found myself wanting to finish the story just...more
Odette
I feel pretty 'eh' about this one. The context of the story was very interesting, but this isn't something I would have picked up on my own, or if it was, I wouldn't have kept reading it. And, honestly, there was too much incest. Normally, I think incest could be an interesting thing to explore, but here it just kept coming up randomly and several times. There seemed to be no point for all of it, unless it was supposed to mean something else that I never figured out.
Oana M.
I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, the action evolves way too slow for me to really like it, I was very tempted to close it and never open it again. On the other hand, the story has a certain something that captured my attention and that made me want to know more. In the end, I wish I didn't read it - I got nothing from it. OK, maybe I got nausea at some point due to the description of burps, farts and incest.
anique Halliday
Let the record show that if the book won or was even nominated for the prestigious Man Booker Prize (link here: [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Book...]), I'll likely not make it through to the end. For whatever reason (the plot could interest me, the writing could be great, characters developed well, etc.) I've never finished a Booker Prize novel. Bitter Fruit was no exception.
Kirsten
I learned a lot about post-apartheid South Africa and its racial complexities from this book. That's why I can give it 3 stars. I can only hope that the place is not as horrifying as it is portrayed here. I couldn't get over the seemingly pervasive incest in this story. Yes, I realize that apartheid's events were extremely traumatic, but now everyone is incestuous??
Alison
Ummm... this book is good, but all the incest just seems like overkill. I mean, the characters are interesting and you just start to identify with one of them and then *boom* more incest just out of no where. I don't get where it was coming from at all, unless the incest was meant to represent something else that I didn't pick up on. If not, it just wasn't believable.
Alexandra
Okay, so I'm South Africa Obsessed, especially Apartheid and just post-Apartheid SA, so this was pretty much perfect from where I'm standing, even before we get on to the writing...

The repetition of the words "the new South Africa" becomes almost threatening...it echoes what I imagine the political situation at the time must have been. Great, Great Book!
Bogdan
This was my first reading that allowed me to know more about the South African society. I found that the horrors of struggle for freedom left a lot of unhealed wounds for many South Africans peoples. This society is still strugling to forget the past yet the past is part of present and this is creating tensions.
My copy of this book is in romanian.
Nikki
I admire the authors writing style and the way he puts his words together is quite beautiful, unfortunately the topic was depressing and at certain points I didn't like any of the characters or their thoughts and actions. I'm left wondering how this book was shortlisted for so many prestigious awards and feeling generally depressed after finishing.
somer
Apr 15, 2007 somer added it
Shelves: fiction
Bitter Fruit is a novel about post-apartheid South Africa, Islam, and incest, subjects which are so completely foreign to me that it was difficult for me to connect with the characters. I wanted to like and care about the story, but just could not. While I'm sure Dangor deserves the praise and awards, it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Brunvatne
I was very young when I read this. Had not heard of Apartheid before. This book provides a little glimpse into that time and place, but I wouldn't exactly call it educational. What stands out the most for me is the raw feeling that emanated from the book, and the numbness that can set in to the adult psyche.
Carole
The story of one family and the damaging effects of South African political history on them. Although it was well written, I didn't find myself wanting to pick up the book---the insights into these people's lives were just too painful and there was so little communication.
Rebecca
This book takes place in South Africa, a story about a family and its deepest secrets, set against the political history of the region, post-apartheid. While some of it was beyond my knowledge of the political history, it was still an excellent story; I highly recommend it.
Susanne
Set in post-apartheid South Africa, it should have been interesting, but I found it annoying. Characters development just didn't ring true. There were some worthy descriptions of the social environment that kept me reading - but in the end, I can't recommend this book.
Michael
I'm very undecided on this book. It starts out promising, slows down a bit too much for my taste and when it finally picks up some speed again in the end the story is over.

It's not a bad book, but had I never read it, I wouldn't have missed much...

elizabeth
So much more coherent than his first novel, and, yet, that coherency is, perhaps, at the expense of the expanse of imagination found in Kafka's Curse. Still, a lovely and intricate account of recent South Africa, from a man who certainly can write.
Tuck
great novel about mixed race family dealing with post-apartheid. takes place mainly in SW and has the obligatory devil-like boers, unreasonable and loyal families, and everything is serious, everything. IMPAC and man booker nominee.
  • I'll Go to Bed at Noon
  • Daughters Of The House
  • Praxis
  • Goshawk Squadron
  • Confederates
Kafka's Curse The Z Town Trilogy Strange Pilgrimages Fructul Amar Waiting For Leila

“He stands on the stone table and selects a large fig, bites into the skin, then opens it with his fingers. He thinks of a woman's sex, ancient and eternal, no young girl would have such gritty sweetness. Was this not perhaps the fruit that got Adam and Eve thrown out of Eden? Who would want to give up an unblemished state of immortality for the insipid apple?” 0 likes