Start by marking “Time to Sleep” as Want to Read:
Time to Sleep

Time to Sleep

A warm, inviting bedtime book from a Caldecott winning illustrator.

"Bear sniffed once.
She sniffed twice.
'I smell winter in the air. . . .'"

A chill is in the air and Bear knows it is time for her winter nap. But first, she must tell Snail. And Snail must tell Skunk. And Skunk must tell Turtle. Each animal who tries to put off going to sleep just a little longer sees, smells
Published September 15th 1997 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Time to Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time to Sleep

David
Oct 22, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Time to Sleep by Denise Fleming is a story about the hibernation of several animals that also can function as a bedtime story.

Bear smells winter and knows it's time to sleep, but must first tell snail. Snail in turn sees it's time, but must tell skunk. Skunk sees its time to sleep, but must first tell Turtle. Turtle must tell Woodchuck who must tell Ladybug. Ladybug has heard geese but must tell bear. She wakes up Bear then goes to sleep in a nearby log. All six animals say goodnight to each ot
Vivian
Sep 24, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When I opened this book to share in library pre-school story time I said "It's TIME TO SLEEP" according to Denise Fleming who made this book. Can you read the title with me?" I put my finger under the first word and we all said "Time", and so forth. According to a recent study that was aired on NPR, this simple way of introducing books to children helps with reading readiness. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/... Of course you and I know the children weren't 'reading', but they felt like the ...more
Jul 25, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
All Denise Fleming books are wonderful! Bear smells winter in the air, and tells Snail that winter is coming and it is time to sleep. Snail tells another animal, and on and on, until the message gets back to Bear that winter is coming and it is time to sleep. Each animal mentions another sign of winter, and a different action that they need to do to get ready for hibernation. Fleming poured colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils to make the images. The colors give off the earthy glow of a ...more
Amy Kuilema
Dec 04, 2016 Amy Kuilema rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great large illustrations. I loved the idea of showing lots of different animals that hibernate, not just bears. Kids loved it at storytime.
Laurie
Dec 26, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok
Vicki
Nov 17, 2016 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story about animals getting ready for their winter sleep.
Janice Villwock
Nov 11, 2009 Janice Villwock rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb-same-artist
Pre-K - 2nd grade Listening/read alone

Fleming creates the illustrations for all her books by "pouring colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils producing images set in handmade paper." In this book all of the pages are filled with color with very undefined lines. The story unfolds with bear realizing that winter is coming but he cannot go to sleep until he tells snail. It continues with a variety of animals and insects not being able to go to sleep until they tell ??? The story would make th
Eric Summers
For reading to your child at bedtime, this is a good book. You can sit together and look over the illustrations. However in a classroom setting, the dark tones and lack of detail make this a difficult choice for read-aloud. The kids right next to you will be able to see the pictures just fine, but the kids in the back row might as well be looking at a big blob of paint.

If you want to use this book as part of a unit on hibernation or changing seasons, get 3 or 4 copies and use it for small-groups
Lauren Garris
Oct 20, 2013 Lauren Garris rated it it was amazing
Book Title: Time to Sleep by: Denise Fleming
Short Description of the Book: A story about the Bear and other animals preparations for their winter hibernation.
FOCUS: Text Types and Purposes
1) Writing to include information in a storybook format. For example, this book is a narrative story, but includes information/characteristics about Fall and early Winter.
TEACH: CCSS Connection Kindergarten:
Literacy W.K.2 Use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to compose informative/explanatory
Christine Turner
Dec 18, 2013 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
A warm, inviting bedtime book from a Caldecott winning illustrator. Bear sniffed once. She sniffed twice. "I smell winter in the air," said Bear. "It is time to crawl into my cave and sleep. But first I must tell Snail." Denise Fleming presents a warm-hearted story about animals of the forest settling down for their winter nap. But, like children who must go to bed for the night, they each find a way to put it off just a little bit longer. Richly illustrated in fall colors, Denise Fleming's stor ...more
Gaby Roman
Oct 13, 2012 Gaby Roman rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, winter, weather
I thought this was a great book to explain to students where animals go in the winter time when it gets cold outside. I would read this story to my students when they are learning about the different seasons. This would be great to use when my students are learning about winter. I may have my students break up into small groups and learn more about each animal that was in the story and share with the class about more information and what these animals do in the winter time. These small groups wo ...more
Courtney
Mar 21, 2013 Courtney rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-310
In this story of hibernation for the winter, the bear begins telling the other animals it's "time". It's time for snail and skunk and turtle and woodchuck and ladybug to all go to sleep for the winter.

This book introduces intriguing topics, points out new animals, and has excellent illustrations. All of the animals work together to let each other know it's time to sleep. For children 1st grade and under, this book will show a glimpse of how many animals react to the winter cold. This seasonal bo
Ariel Cummins
Mar 06, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A nice variety of animals in this book about preparing for winter! Includes the usually suspects, like bear, but also some different sleepers - like snail and ladybug.

Fiber illustrations give this book a natural and slightly abstract look.

Great characters and a funny ending make this book excellent for reading aloud! Good for seasons or sleeping story times. A little old for babies; might work for toddlers and would be a great preschool book!
Lindsey
May 06, 2013 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lower-elementary
I thoroughly enjoy reading this book at the end of October when the seasons are beginning to change from fall to winter! Time to Sleep is a story centered around the idea of hibernation; yet, the word itself is never written, rather implied. Children listening to this story must use some inferencing skills to figure out what all of the animals are talking about. It is a great way to introduce critical and deeper thinking strategies at the beginning of the year.
Tricia
Feb 28, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
Bear smells winter in the air. Before he can sleep he must spread the word. He begins a chain of notification from snail to skunk to turtle...and so on. Preschool/early elementary audience will enjoy the eventual cycling around of this communciation and the ending containing multiple "good-nights" remniscent of the Walton's. As readalouds highlighting nature and animals go, Fleming consistently creates winners.
Janet
Jan 13, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
Beautiful simple story line with a repeating line of "winter is on its way", a number of rhyming words, and real info about the coming of winter as the forest animals tell their friends that winter is coming. The illustration technique is unique: pouring colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils makes for beautiful textured illustrations. Also the colors depict fall well. I would love to use this in a storytime.
Natalie Hoist
Dec 05, 2016 Natalie Hoist rated it liked it
This was a cute story! "Time to Sleep" is a story about when animals go into hibernation when Winter arrives. It tells an adventure about all of the different animals in the forest and how they communicate with each other to warm each other that Winter is coming. I would recommend this book to teach about hibernation, to 1st or 2nd graders.
Ashlyn Barker
This book is about a bear who needs to let someone know it's cold and time to sleep...which leads to a full circle of reminders from the animals. Good for talking to young students about hibernation. A good start for young emerging readers. I might use this with kindergarteners to talk about the setting.
Susan
Oct 09, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books-jp
A wonderful book that is a sure hit every fall at storytime with its autumnal rich reds and colds and a warm, caring story about Bear and his animal friends preparing for their sleep. The gentle wit at the end is most appealing although the ending always makes me think of the Walton family saying their endless good-nights.
April Smith
Apr 22, 2014 April Smith rated it really liked it
This is a good book to help children understand how animals hibernate during the winter. This builds the kids schema on what types of animals hibernate. This would be a good book for kindergarten or first grade.
Dolly
Dec 03, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet story about animals preparing to hibernate. It's a nice tale to read at bedtime - the illustrations are colorful with interesting textures and the narrative is fun to read aloud. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Kristen
Oct 09, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Cute story about animals' reactions to the impending winter weather. Starting with the bear, each animal agrees that he/she must find a place to sleep, but first, must tell another...leading us back to bear, who has fallen asleep.

Cute story with appealing illustrations.

Veronica
Aug 26, 2016 Veronica rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
Traci Bold
Sep 13, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
Vibrant and colorful picture book solving the mystery of where some animals go in the winter and why.

Written and illustrated by Denise Fleming, published by Henry Holt and Company.

#PB #animals #forest #autumn #mustread
Destiny Thompson
Jul 17, 2015 Destiny Thompson rated it liked it
Cute story! This book would be great to teach children about hibernation. "I smell winter in the air," said bear." 'It is time to crawl into my cave and sleep. but first I must tell snail." Each animal takes a turn spreading the word, Winter is Here!."
Bethe
Feb 09, 2013 Bethe rated it really liked it
I'm putting this book on my realistic fiction shelf because the animals aren't acting like people. Although ladybugs probably don't converse with bears and woodchucks, but maybe they do! Delightful illustrations of animals getting ready to hibernate.
Erin Buhr
Jan 04, 2017 Erin Buhr rated it really liked it
Winter is coming, Bear knows it is time for his winter nap. However first Bear wants to tell snail. The snail in turn wants to tell seal. A relay of sorts goes through the woods, until ladybug crawls back to a very sleepy bear. Sweet bedtime story and discussion of winter.
Catherine Austen
Dec 14, 2011 Catherine Austen rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very nice hibernation picture book. Simple facts are passed on through a gentle story about animals getting ready to hibernate, and helping each other along. The easy repetitive text has a nice flow and the handmade paper artwork is gorgeous; together they convey a lovely sleepy sort of feel.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at preschool story time on 12/5/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Preschool Story Time on 12/7/16: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Theresa
Jan 02, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grade-1
Cute book that will fit nicely into my hibernation unit. Animals are getting ready for a winter rest. Each warns the next of the up-coming winter. Bear, ladybug, woodchuck, turtle, skunk, snail are included.
  • Fall is Not Easy
  • Cat's Colors
  • Mouse Mess
  • A Kitten Tale
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
Denise Fleming has written and illustrated many children’s picture books, including In the Tall, Tall Grass, Shout! Shout It Out!, and Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy. She won a Caldecott Honor for In the Small, Small Pond. Denise creates her colorful illustrations by pouring colored paper pulp through hand-cut stencils. She lives in Toledo, Ohio.

More about Denise Fleming...