Start by marking “Time to Sleep” as Want to Read:

Time to Sleep

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  43 reviews
"Bear sniffed once.
She sniffed twice.
'I smell winter in the air. . . .'"

A chill is in the air and Bear knows it is time for her winter nap. But first, she must tell Snail. And Snail must tell Skunk. And Skunk must tell Turtle. Each animal who tries to put off going to sleep just a little longer sees, smells, hears, or tastes the signs of the impending season. Finally, Lady
Published September 15th 1997 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Time to Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time to Sleep

David
Time to Sleep by Denise Fleming is a story about the hibernation of several animals that also can function as a bedtime story.

Bear smells winter and knows it's time to sleep, but must first tell snail. Snail in turn sees it's time, but must tell skunk. Skunk sees its time to sleep, but must first tell Turtle. Turtle must tell Woodchuck who must tell Ladybug. Ladybug has heard geese but must tell bear. She wakes up Bear then goes to sleep in a nearby log. All six animals say goodnight to each ot
Vivian
When I opened this book to share in library pre-school story time I said "It's TIME TO SLEEP" according to Denise Fleming who made this book. Can you read the title with me?" I put my finger under the first word and we all said "Time", and so forth. According to a recent study that was aired on NPR, this simple way of introducing books to children helps with reading readiness. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/... Of course you and I know the children weren't 'reading', but they felt like the ...more
All Denise Fleming books are wonderful! Bear smells winter in the air, and tells Snail that winter is coming and it is time to sleep. Snail tells another animal, and on and on, until the message gets back to Bear that winter is coming and it is time to sleep. Each animal mentions another sign of winter, and a different action that they need to do to get ready for hibernation. Fleming poured colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils to make the images. The colors give off the earthy glow of a ...more
Janice Villwock
Pre-K - 2nd grade Listening/read alone

Fleming creates the illustrations for all her books by "pouring colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils producing images set in handmade paper." In this book all of the pages are filled with color with very undefined lines. The story unfolds with bear realizing that winter is coming but he cannot go to sleep until he tells snail. It continues with a variety of animals and insects not being able to go to sleep until they tell ??? The story would make th
Ashlyn Barker
This book is about a bear who needs to let someone know it's cold and time to sleep...which leads to a full circle of reminders from the animals. Good for talking to young students about hibernation. A good start for young emerging readers. I might use this with kindergarteners to talk about the setting.
Eric Summers
For reading to your child at bedtime, this is a good book. You can sit together and look over the illustrations. However in a classroom setting, the dark tones and lack of detail make this a difficult choice for read-aloud. The kids right next to you will be able to see the pictures just fine, but the kids in the back row might as well be looking at a big blob of paint.

If you want to use this book as part of a unit on hibernation or changing seasons, get 3 or 4 copies and use it for small-groups
Chelsea Kimmey
This book would be good when teaching a class about how to help each other out because each animal makes sure to remind one another that winter is coming. It also could be fitting for a lesson when learning about hibernation
April Smith
This is a good book to help children understand how animals hibernate during the winter. This builds the kids schema on what types of animals hibernate. This would be a good book for kindergarten or first grade.
Melissa
Time to sleep is a cute poetry book about animals going to sleep. Younger children will love and can relate to this book. I'd use it in a kindergarden class. I gave it 5 stars because I loved it!
Christine Turner
A warm, inviting bedtime book from a Caldecott winning illustrator. Bear sniffed once. She sniffed twice. "I smell winter in the air," said Bear. "It is time to crawl into my cave and sleep. But first I must tell Snail." Denise Fleming presents a warm-hearted story about animals of the forest settling down for their winter nap. But, like children who must go to bed for the night, they each find a way to put it off just a little bit longer. Richly illustrated in fall colors, Denise Fleming's stor ...more
Mary
An adorable story in which Bear and friends get ready for winter. A great way to introduce preschoolers to hibernation. It's nearly perfect, except for one thing a story timer noticed: it should have a fox. :)
Lauren Garris
Book Title: Time to Sleep by: Denise Fleming
Short Description of the Book: A story about the Bear and other animals preparations for their winter hibernation.
FOCUS: Text Types and Purposes
1) Writing to include information in a storybook format. For example, this book is a narrative story, but includes information/characteristics about Fall and early Winter.
TEACH: CCSS Connection Kindergarten:
Literacy W.K.2 Use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to compose informative/explanatory
Courtney
In this story of hibernation for the winter, the bear begins telling the other animals it's "time". It's time for snail and skunk and turtle and woodchuck and ladybug to all go to sleep for the winter.

This book introduces intriguing topics, points out new animals, and has excellent illustrations. All of the animals work together to let each other know it's time to sleep. For children 1st grade and under, this book will show a glimpse of how many animals react to the winter cold. This seasonal bo
Gaby Roman
I thought this was a great book to explain to students where animals go in the winter time when it gets cold outside. I would read this story to my students when they are learning about the different seasons. This would be great to use when my students are learning about winter. I may have my students break up into small groups and learn more about each animal that was in the story and share with the class about more information and what these animals do in the winter time. These small groups wo ...more
Lindsey
I thoroughly enjoy reading this book at the end of October when the seasons are beginning to change from fall to winter! Time to Sleep is a story centered around the idea of hibernation; yet, the word itself is never written, rather implied. Children listening to this story must use some inferencing skills to figure out what all of the animals are talking about. It is a great way to introduce critical and deeper thinking strategies at the beginning of the year.
Ariel Cummins
A nice variety of animals in this book about preparing for winter! Includes the usually suspects, like bear, but also some different sleepers - like snail and ladybug.

Fiber illustrations give this book a natural and slightly abstract look.

Great characters and a funny ending make this book excellent for reading aloud! Good for seasons or sleeping story times. A little old for babies; might work for toddlers and would be a great preschool book!
Bree
Notes:
all animals take a turn telling another that winter is coming
last animal wakes bear up to tell him
bedtime book?
Janet
Beautiful simple story line with a repeating line of "winter is on its way", a number of rhyming words, and real info about the coming of winter as the forest animals tell their friends that winter is coming. The illustration technique is unique: pouring colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils makes for beautiful textured illustrations. Also the colors depict fall well. I would love to use this in a storytime.
Tricia
Bear smells winter in the air. Before he can sleep he must spread the word. He begins a chain of notification from snail to skunk to turtle...and so on. Preschool/early elementary audience will enjoy the eventual cycling around of this communciation and the ending containing multiple "good-nights" remniscent of the Walton's. As readalouds highlighting nature and animals go, Fleming consistently creates winners.
June
Jan 08, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hibernating and winter requests
Used this for my winter story time. The two toddlers that made on our coldest day were a little stir crazy. However, I just introduced some bear growls and the would focus back on the book.
Susan
A wonderful book that is a sure hit every fall at storytime with its autumnal rich reds and colds and a warm, caring story about Bear and his animal friends preparing for their sleep. The gentle wit at the end is most appealing although the ending always makes me think of the Walton family saying their endless good-nights.
Catherine Austen
Very nice hibernation picture book. Simple facts are passed on through a gentle story about animals getting ready to hibernate, and helping each other along. The easy repetitive text has a nice flow and the handmade paper artwork is gorgeous; together they convey a lovely sleepy sort of feel.
Kristen
Cute story about animals' reactions to the impending winter weather. Starting with the bear, each animal agrees that he/she must find a place to sleep, but first, must tell another...leading us back to bear, who has fallen asleep.

Cute story with appealing illustrations.

LandOLakes Library
Fun cyclical story of the animals that hibernate during the winter. A little long for toddlers, but excellent for preschoolers. The illustrations are excellent.
Bethe
I'm putting this book on my realistic fiction shelf because the animals aren't acting like people. Although ladybugs probably don't converse with bears and woodchucks, but maybe they do! Delightful illustrations of animals getting ready to hibernate.
Dolly
Dec 03, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet story about animals preparing to hibernate. It's a nice tale to read at bedtime - the illustrations are colorful with interesting textures and the narrative is fun to read aloud. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Edna
Beautiful bold illustrations help tell the story of bear telling a friend it's time to hibernate and that friend telling another friend who tells another friend and another and another until one decides to tell bear.
Erin
Sweet little book about animals who need to hibernate. Good animal knowledge story with other vocabulary that kids can get to know. Also, it has some repeated sight words that kids could learn.
Stephanie Ung
This book could be used to teach students about the transitions between seasons and what animals do during that time. Teach students that bears hibernate and talk about what other animals do.
Mia Obiwo
Cute story about animals' reactions to the winter weather. Starting with the bear, each animal agrees that they must find a place to sleep. Great story of hibernation. Good for Pre-K - 2nd grade.
  • Leaves
  • Mouse Mess
  • Ten Orange Pumpkins: A Counting Book
  • Mouse's First Fall
  • Apple Farmer Annie
Denise Fleming has written and illustrated many children’s picture books, including In the Tall, Tall Grass, Shout! Shout It Out!, and Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy. She won a Caldecott Honor for In the Small, Small Pond. Denise creates her colorful illustrations by pouring colored paper pulp through hand-cut stencils. She lives in Toledo, Ohio.

More about Denise Fleming...
In the Small, Small Pond In the Tall, Tall Grass Lunch Barnyard Banter The Cow Who Clucked