Start by marking “Strong Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #1)” as Want to Read:
Strong Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #1)

Strong Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty #1)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Welcome to sunny Pasadena, California, just a stone's throw from Hollywood. The 1920s are in full roar. Prohibition isn't stopping anybody, and Daisy Gumm Majesty is getting by the best way she knows how - catering to the rich and famous as a medium who put the con in conjuror.
Published February 1st 2003 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Strong Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strong Spirits

Against the Law by Kat MartinJust the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie JamesWhat I Did for Love by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsOne Hit Wonder by Elyssa PatrickAgainst the Night by Kat Martin
LA Romance: Best Romance Novels in Los Angeles
27th out of 58 books — 9 voters
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldSpeak Easy, Anne by Brandy D. AndersonBitter Spirits by Jenn BennettRomancing the Rumrunner by Michelle McLeanGrim Shadows by Jenn Bennett
1920s Romance
28th out of 55 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Charles Daniel
A Classical Styled Mystery in the Mold of Mary Reinhardt and Agatha Christie.

I don't read many mystery novels--in comparison to the number of books of the Sciences, Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror genres, at the least. That said, I believe Alice Duncan may become one of my favored authors. Her books will be sharing shelf space with the likes of Elizabeth Moon, Mercedes Lackey, Robin Hobb, Isaac Asimov, H. Beam Piper, John Ringo, David Drake, Eric Flint, Robert A Heinlein and a host of others
Joanna
Just a nice relaxing read. There is a bit of a mystery but not one that Daisy is actively engaged in solving. This is the first of a series. I read the 6th one first and will try to read them all. I purchased this copy on my NOOK for $.99. Lots of typos.
Jeannette
This is a laugh out loud read with plenty of grins while solving the mystery.
Gina
I fell in love with Daisy..she is fresh and charming.
Heather
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. The concept behind this mystery is very good. The writing is solid, the setting different and interesting, and the characters engaging enough that I would read the sequels. There are also some tantalizing little hints about how the plot will unfold in those sequels that make me curious enough to pay money for them. So well done, AD. Your strategy worked.

The writing could be a little tighter. The opening is really repetitive. Got it -- WWI sucked. Also, there r
Viccy
Daisy Gumm is an accidental spiritualist. When she was ten, she pretended she could talk to the spirits and everyone believed her. She knows she is a fraud, but if rich people want to pay her to talk to the spirits, who is she to stop them? Daisy gets mixed up with the Kincaids, a rich banking family in Pasadena, California. Daisy is supporting herself and her husband, Billy, badly injured in World War I, along with her mother and father and her Aunt Vi. Life is not easy for a girl trying to ear ...more
Betty
First book in the,series. Daisy lives in 1920 during and just after World War 1. She was married before her husband's was shipped overseas. He returns injured by mustard gas and leg damage. Daisy earns their living by holding seances and other spirited activities. In this book her best customer has problems and Daisy is called to give a seance. Daisy has to help solved a criminal matter. It is a tale of how the average person lived during the Roaring Twenties. Not really a mystery or a romance, ...more
April Terry
I loved the setting of this book. It reminded me of the things that a friend told me about her growing up in Pasadena back in the day when Pasadena was "high society." I loved the characters in the book as well. Daisy Gumm is a great character and the surrounding characters are just as fun.

However, what I didn't like about this book is the was it constantly and annoyingly diverged from the storyline. If it wasn't the main character diverging, it was someone else. In one scene, a character retur
Randee Baty
The cover of this book really drew me in. I love the look of the 1920's so it immediately intrigued me to read a mystery set in that era. The period details were rich so I wasn't disappointed. There was a lot to like here!

Daisy Gumm Majesty is a fake spiritualist. She makes her money holding seances and tarot card readings for the rich in her beautiful California town of Pasadena. She helps support her husband who was gassed in WWI and her parents, a bookkeeper and a chauffeur.

Though this says i
Liz Banks
I enjoyed this book very much. The best part of it was the lead character-narrator's thought processes. The mystery was simple. The romance wasn't there, unless you call loving a parapalegic husband a romance, which I guess it was. The setting was Pasadena right after World War 1. The main character supported her family by doing séances which she rationalized helped others feel better.
E.K. Carmel
This was a fun, light read. I enjoyed the historical time period of 1920s California with a working class main character. The spiritualist angle is different and it was interesting to see how Daisy juggled her "job" and her family life.

There was some repetition and typos, but I liked the characters and story and plan to continue reading the series.
Ce
Feb 06, 2014 Ce added it
Enjoyable, I liked how the story was told as a memory.
Daisy Gumm is a spiritualist during the 1920's spiritual movement. Her biggest client Mrs. Kinkand family's life turns topsy turby when her daughter Stacy is arrested in a speakeasy. Daisy's ability to act as a spiritual guide helps her unravel the secrets family has kept from each other.
Kim
This was a very nice read. The setting is late WW1....the main character (Daisy) is a very young spiritualist/medium who is trying to help support her family including her husband who was hurt in the war. I really enjoyed the authors references to the time period. I will read more about Daisy Gumm, to be sure!
Cyndi
I like the fact that it was a "period piece" and gave the reader a sense of life during the Roaring Twenties.
Daisy is quite a convincing medium although she admits at the start that she's a charlatan.
The characters are well defined and there are many unexpected happenings. It was a pleasant little read.
Karen
This is a delightful little mystery. It is flawed with too much telling and not enough showing. I loved the descriptions of Pasadena, California in the years just after WWI. I enjoyed the characters Alice has created. I am looking forward to reading more of this series.
Jennifer Blake
Charming story with a very likeable protagonist, nice hook in her work as a "spiritulist," and I enjoyed the unusual 1920s time period and ambience. The mystery element was weak, however, with little suspense and scant fodder for those who prefer to solve the puzzle.
Irene Marie Dawson
All is foretold in the cards.

When Daisy Gumm Majesty began her spiritualist hobby at the tender age of ten who was to know she would make it a lifetime career? This and her keen mind are all that separate her from poverty now that the war is over and her husband has returned from battle confined to a wheelchair. Being her families largest support has made her pursue her career with a vengeance,but when she becomes embroiled in spying on her wealthy clients and a possible murder her skills as a s
Emma
Elaine
Not what I'd call heavy, but enjoyable - a sweet little book to while away a few hours.
Carrie Garza
Cute little mystery set in 1920. Daisy Majesty is a spiritualist , holding seances and reading the cards to support her family.

She is just nineteen and her husband has been wounded in the war and is unable to work. Daddy's career causes problems between her and her husband.

Sho is drawn into an investigation for one of her clients. The beginning of a new career?

The story is told from her point of view. She is very chatty, almost annoyingly so. It also gives a lot of insight into how life might ha
Jen
Dec 03, 2013 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Strong Spirits is the first in in the Daisy Gumm Majesty mystery series, originally published in 2003, and recently republished as an e-book.

Set in the 1920's, the book provides an interesting look at an earlier time when the Spiritualism movement was still going strong.

The beginning was slow (too large of an information dump) that established the background for Daisy Gumm and her foray into her life as a popular local medium.

Daisy knows that she has no connection to the spirit world, but views
Susan
This book is a bit confusing to categorize. I initially thought it was a mystery of sorts. However, the spine says 'Zebra historical romance'. Read to halfway and no crime, so to speak, took place. The lead character was asked to keep her ears open by the local police for some funny business going on at the bank. Guess that was the mystery part. And another two characters were eyeing each other, but were not the lead characters. Guess that was the romance part.

While reading there were big passag
Kat
Nancy
Cute main character, Daisy. 1920's Sacramento CA, working class family. She has been working as a fake medium/spiritualist since the age of 10, and making a living holding seances and reading cards now that she is 20. Her husband has returned from WWI physically and emotionally damaged so she needs the work to make ends meet. There is no murder or gruesomeness but there is a mystery and it is the relationships and her funny insights that make the story fun.
A.G. Lindsay
I liked the character "voice" of Daisy Gumm -- a young California woman with her hands full making a living for herself and her close-knit family by spiritualism (which she doesn't really believe in.) She's a fun, spunky, practical protagonist "lost" in a meandering story.

I chalked up most of this to the fact that this is meant to be the introductory volume to a series, so I could forgive the lengthy description of Pasendena in the 1920s, her family situation (and her feelings about it), and how
Arlene Franks
This is an interesting twist on the cozy mystery. It's 1920 Pasadena, CA. She's a spiritualist who knows she is a fake. Her husband was injured and emotionally damaged from World War I. Another major character is a police detective who annoys her and befriends her husband. It's just such a quaint little slice of life story through the eyes of a quirky, plucky heroine who's just trying to get by in a crazy life.
Mary Glass
Ain't that Daisy somethin'?

Ain't that Daisy somethin'?

Well, Daisy would certainly be the first to tell you so! There is pluck and then there is Daisy. Why don't the dead speak to Daisy? They would never get a word in edgewise! More story, less Daisy prattle would be my wish for the series.
Norma Huss
Daisy Gumm became Desdemona shortly after she discovered her ability with the Ouija board at age ten. Before she turned twenty and her new husband was permanently disabled in The Great War (WW II), her ability, as a seance leader and spiritual guide, to tell rich folks what they wanted to hear became their major source of income. Make that, almost her only source of income as they live with her parents and her aunt. Lots of good family vibes, give and take, the usual. Daisy is also the spiritual ...more
Heather
Simple mystery set in the 1920's. The main character is fun and interesting. I love her inner monologue. The plot was rather predictable, but the writing was easy to follow and the story has good pace. I will most likely read the next in the series.
Ronald Selke
Fun original clever

Great read. Clever original theme, funny , and cannot wait to read a other Alice Duncan story.
Recomend use for a Book Club
  • Beacon Street Mourning (Fremont Jones, #6)
  • A Lack of Temperance (Hattie Davish Mystery, #1)
  • Uneasy Spirits (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery, #2)
  • The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre (A Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #1)
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • No Game for a Dame (Maggie Sullivan mysteries)
  • The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1)
  • Loose Screw (Dusty Deals Mystery #1)
  • Paper Phoenix: A Mystery of San Francisco in the '70s (A Classic Cozy--with Romance!)
  • Leave No Stone Unturned (A Lexie Starr Mystery, #1)
  • The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #1)
  • Board Stiff (An Elliott Lisbon Mystery, #1)
  • Paper Woman (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 1)
  • In the Shadow of the Glacier (Constable Molly Smith #1)
  • Chasing Darkness
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • The Conjurer
Fine Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #2) Hungry Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #4) Ancient Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #6) High Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #3) Genteel Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #5)