Start by marking “The Best of Best American Erotica 2008” as Want to Read:
The Best of Best American Erotica 2008

The Best of Best American Erotica 2008 (Best American Erotica)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The best of the best

The hottest of the hot

To mark its fifteenth anniversary, the top-selling erotica series achieves a scorching new climax with a special edition showcasing standout stories from the entire series as well as never before published pieces -- plus interviews with the authors and, for the first time, a hot and edgy piece from Susie Bright herself.

In Sus
Published January 8th 2008 by Touchstone (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Best American Erotica 2008, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Best American Erotica 2008

Lover Awakened by J.R. WardDark Lover by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. WardFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesA Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole
Best Smut Books
290th out of 1,092 books — 1,026 voters
Bared to You by Sylvia DayGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardReflected in You by Sylvia DayThe Siren by Tiffany ReiszGabriel's Rapture by Sylvain Reynard
Smut for the Smart
387th out of 1,011 books — 1,522 voters

More lists with this book...

Lady Ethereal Butterfly
Best of Best American Erotica 2008 is a titillating collection of adult fiction that is sure to have a story to suit everyone’s personal tastes. The contents include dominance and submission, same sex encounters, encounters with multiple participants, virginity, explicit letters to a teacher, a piece with supernatural elements, an interesting piece of erotic science fiction, and much more. If you’re new to erotica and looking to figure out which themes do it for you, this is a great place to sta ...more
HeavyReader
This book was something of a disappointment. I didn't realize when I bought it (yes, I bought it, paid full price for it, in fact, at a locally owned bookstore) that it reprinted several stories from past installments of the Best American Erotic series. I think about half of the stories were reprints, and only a couple of them were my favorites. Damn! Since I have a nearly complete collection of this series, I really didn't need any reprinted stories.

Susie Bright will no longer edit this series.
The Carrion Librarian
I found that because of the nature of a "best of" anthology, it fell into the trap of trying to please everyone. So while some of the stories were hot, the majority of the book was decidedly not what I would consider arousing. That's not to say the stories weren't well written. Most of the stories stood up to scrutiny as short stories if not as smut. You know how it is; you can be intellectually stimulated or you can be erotically titillated, but both is almost impossible.
I did however take iss
SpazBuzz
I just finished this book and I must say I was left a little disappointed. It started off great, the first few stories got my blood rushing and made me feel good then the middle totally fell flat on its face. The stories were dry and not very interesting. The end few picked up but didn't make a full recovery. All in all, this book has some good stories and more not so good ones. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like reading erotica that isn't so much action as it is just someone telling a bori ...more
Ryan
It's the last year that (Susie) will be editing the series. I'm a little sad.
I bought this book yesterday at the Hawthorne Street Powells - read the first two stories, and then lent the book to someone. I haven't even finished it. Hmm...

I have since, of course, retrieved and finished it. It's good, even though it holds several stories that have been published earlier in the series. It's fun, though, to see the ones (Susie) liked enough to print again.

Thanks, Ms. Brite.
Nick Pappas
Mar 08, 2008 Nick Pappas rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the sexualy repressed and the sexualy active
One of the writers in the book said the reason for erotica is to make you jack off, this didn't make me jack off, but it did leave me with a constant burning in my loins. I don't think I've ever been so horney in my life as I was while reading this. It's not for the faint of heart. Most of the writing was very good, and broke my misconseptions about erotica being nothing more than just another bad genre. Give it a read, just keep some form of lubricant close by.
Sonni deSoto
A great collection of tales, a little something for everyone. What I love most about it is that it proves that erotica can be literature too. Just because it's sexy or risque doesn't mean that it can't be quality. My favorite stories in this collection are: "Pinky," "Innocence in Extremis," and "Horny." Each one tells an erotic tale of someone unexpected and generally unheard of in the genre.

Also, the audiobook version of it is extremely well done.
Jules
I read this because Susie Bright helped edit/publish it, and for the most part I enjoyed it. There were a few things I wasn't entirely interested or comfortable with as a reader, so I skipped over them, but I hope to revisit them later when I've had time to adjust. The writing in all of these stories were a pleasant surprise, and overall it has opened my mind as a reader and writer.
SA
Dec 19, 2011 SA rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
A strong collection of widely disparate stories. Bright's foreward itself is a great read, and helps to inform some of the editorial choices she made when putting this collection together. I picked it up for Steven Saylor's "Blue Light," which was some crazy shit--seems to be something of Saylor's erotic wheelhouse. All in all, an interesting detour from my usual reads.
Pascale
This anthology was actually a nice surprise after the last few days’ read. I found no stupid metaphors, and the stories ranged from the humorous to the metaphysically scary. I particularly enjoyed “Three Obscene Phone Calls” by Marian Phillips and “The Manicure” by Martha Garvey.
Kiddo
Surprisingly disappointing. Either too little or too much of the erotic. This stuff is hard to balance, apparently.

If you want the first: Mary Gaitskill, Bad Behavior. If you want the second: Penthouse Letters. Go.
Colleen Martin
Disappointing for a "best of" book. Only a few of the stories delivered, but most of them weren't good at all and some were downright revolting.
Adrian Colesberry
Wonderful, diverse, perverse, positive. Everything we expect from this series. Sorry to see it go, but can't wait to see what Susie Bright does next.
Michelle
There were a few that got me hot, a few that made me laugh out loud, and a few that made me yawn. What I'd expect from an anthology. . .
nicole
There was maybe one "story" in here that was compelling and well-written enough to finish.

Uninteresting. Unsexy. Disappointing.
R to the -izzo
This book is no where near as good as the one from 2007. The stories here are pretty much either boring or uber-lame.
Lola
the whole book has a freakshow-carny element that is very entertaining, but its only so hot.
Broadsnark
Most of the stories are more interesting (and sometimes disturbing)than erotic.
Sean
Mixed bag, some stories very steamy and engaging, some just plain weird.
Lena olive
dug it...TOO literary in some parts. Needed a smidge more smut!
Pat Mit
Pat Mit marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Tammy Whiting
Tammy Whiting marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Rachel Mccraley
Rachel Mccraley marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
David
David added it
Feb 23, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Katherine Pereda
Katherine Pereda marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Jennie
Jennie added it
Feb 11, 2015
Tùng Thanh
Tùng Thanh marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
  • The Mammoth Book of Erotica: New Edition
  • Encyclopedia of Unusual Sex Practices
  • Best Lesbian Erotica 2007
  • Like A Wisp of Steam: Steampunk Erotica
  • Secret Admirer (Sensual Erotica, #10)
  • Flesh and the Word: An Anthology of Erotic Writing
  • Exhibitionism for the Shy: Show Off, Dress Up, and Talk Hot
  • The Big Bang: A Guide to the New Sexual Universe
  • Female Ejaculation and the G-Spot: Not Your Mother's Orgasm Book!
Susannah "Susie" Bright (also known as Susie Sexpert) is a writer, speaker, teacher, audio-show host, performer, all on the subject of sexuality. She is one of the first writers/activists referred to as a sex-positive feminist.
More about Susie Bright...

Best American Erotica (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Best American Erotica 1993
  • The Best American Erotica 1999
  • The Best American Erotica 2000
  • The Best American Erotica 2001
  • The Best American Erotica 2002
  • The Best American Erotica 2003 (Best American Erotica)
Big Sex Little Death: A Memoir Bitten: Dark Erotic Stories The Sexual State of the Union Full Exposure: Opening Up to Sexual Creativity and Erotic Expression How to Write a Dirty Story: Reading, Writing, and Publishing Erotica