Start by marking “The Best of Best American Erotica 2008” as Want to Read:
The Best of Best American Erotica 2008

The Best of Best American Erotica 2008 (Best American Erotica)

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  128 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The best of the best

The hottest of the hot

To mark its fifteenth anniversary, the top-selling erotica series achieves a scorching new climax with a special edition showcasing standout stories from the entire series as well as never before published pieces -- plus interviews with the authors and, for the first time, a hot and edgy piece from Susie Bright herself.

In Sus
Published January 8th 2008 by Touchstone (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Best American Erotica 2008, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Best American Erotica 2008

Lover Awakened by J.R. WardDark Lover by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. WardFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesA Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole
Best Smut Books
306th out of 1,204 books — 1,146 voters
Bared to You by Sylvia DayReflected in You by Sylvia DayGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardThe Siren by Tiffany ReiszGabriel's Rapture by Sylvain Reynard
Smut for the Smart
469th out of 1,278 books — 1,875 voters

More lists with this book...

Lady Ethereal Butterfly
May 20, 2010 Lady Ethereal Butterfly rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica
Best of Best American Erotica 2008 is a titillating collection of adult fiction that is sure to have a story to suit everyone’s personal tastes. The contents include dominance and submission, same sex encounters, encounters with multiple participants, virginity, explicit letters to a teacher, a piece with supernatural elements, an interesting piece of erotic science fiction, and much more. If you’re new to erotica and looking to figure out which themes do it for you, this is a great place to sta ...more
HeavyReader
Jul 19, 2009 HeavyReader rated it liked it
This book was something of a disappointment. I didn't realize when I bought it (yes, I bought it, paid full price for it, in fact, at a locally owned bookstore) that it reprinted several stories from past installments of the Best American Erotic series. I think about half of the stories were reprints, and only a couple of them were my favorites. Damn! Since I have a nearly complete collection of this series, I really didn't need any reprinted stories.

Susie Bright will no longer edit this series.
The Carrion Librarian
I found that because of the nature of a "best of" anthology, it fell into the trap of trying to please everyone. So while some of the stories were hot, the majority of the book was decidedly not what I would consider arousing. That's not to say the stories weren't well written. Most of the stories stood up to scrutiny as short stories if not as smut. You know how it is; you can be intellectually stimulated or you can be erotically titillated, but both is almost impossible.
I did however take iss
Victoria
Jan 01, 2014 Victoria rated it did not like it
I just finished this book and I must say I was left a little disappointed. It started off great, the first few stories got my blood rushing and made me feel good then the middle totally fell flat on its face. The stories were dry and not very interesting. The end few picked up but didn't make a full recovery. All in all, this book has some good stories and more not so good ones. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like reading erotica that isn't so much action as it is just someone telling a bori ...more
Ryan
Mar 07, 2008 Ryan rated it really liked it
It's the last year that (Susie) will be editing the series. I'm a little sad.
I bought this book yesterday at the Hawthorne Street Powells - read the first two stories, and then lent the book to someone. I haven't even finished it. Hmm...

I have since, of course, retrieved and finished it. It's good, even though it holds several stories that have been published earlier in the series. It's fun, though, to see the ones (Susie) liked enough to print again.

Thanks, Ms. Brite.
Nick Pappas
Mar 08, 2008 Nick Pappas rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the sexualy repressed and the sexualy active
One of the writers in the book said the reason for erotica is to make you jack off, this didn't make me jack off, but it did leave me with a constant burning in my loins. I don't think I've ever been so horney in my life as I was while reading this. It's not for the faint of heart. Most of the writing was very good, and broke my misconseptions about erotica being nothing more than just another bad genre. Give it a read, just keep some form of lubricant close by.
Sonni Soto
Sep 28, 2012 Sonni Soto rated it it was amazing
A great collection of tales, a little something for everyone. What I love most about it is that it proves that erotica can be literature too. Just because it's sexy or risque doesn't mean that it can't be quality. My favorite stories in this collection are: "Pinky," "Innocence in Extremis," and "Horny." Each one tells an erotic tale of someone unexpected and generally unheard of in the genre.

Also, the audiobook version of it is extremely well done.
Jules
I read this because Susie Bright helped edit/publish it, and for the most part I enjoyed it. There were a few things I wasn't entirely interested or comfortable with as a reader, so I skipped over them, but I hope to revisit them later when I've had time to adjust. The writing in all of these stories were a pleasant surprise, and overall it has opened my mind as a reader and writer.
SA
Dec 19, 2011 SA rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
A strong collection of widely disparate stories. Bright's foreward itself is a great read, and helps to inform some of the editorial choices she made when putting this collection together. I picked it up for Steven Saylor's "Blue Light," which was some crazy shit--seems to be something of Saylor's erotic wheelhouse. All in all, an interesting detour from my usual reads.
Pascale
Aug 08, 2012 Pascale rated it it was ok
This anthology was actually a nice surprise after the last few days’ read. I found no stupid metaphors, and the stories ranged from the humorous to the metaphysically scary. I particularly enjoyed “Three Obscene Phone Calls” by Marian Phillips and “The Manicure” by Martha Garvey.
Erika Ostergaard
Dec 09, 2010 Erika Ostergaard rated it it was ok
Surprisingly disappointing. Either too little or too much of the erotic. This stuff is hard to balance, apparently.

If you want the first: Mary Gaitskill, Bad Behavior. If you want the second: Penthouse Letters. Go.
Colleen Martin
Nov 23, 2012 Colleen Martin rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Disappointing for a "best of" book. Only a few of the stories delivered, but most of them weren't good at all and some were downright revolting.
Adrian Colesberry
Apr 12, 2009 Adrian Colesberry rated it really liked it
Wonderful, diverse, perverse, positive. Everything we expect from this series. Sorry to see it go, but can't wait to see what Susie Bright does next.
Michelle
There were a few that got me hot, a few that made me laugh out loud, and a few that made me yawn. What I'd expect from an anthology. . .
nicole
Jun 07, 2008 nicole rated it did not like it
There was maybe one "story" in here that was compelling and well-written enough to finish.

Uninteresting. Unsexy. Disappointing.
R to the -izzo
Jun 06, 2008 R to the -izzo rated it liked it
This book is no where near as good as the one from 2007. The stories here are pretty much either boring or uber-lame.
Lola
Aug 09, 2008 Lola rated it it was ok
the whole book has a freakshow-carny element that is very entertaining, but its only so hot.
Broadsnark
Oct 26, 2010 Broadsnark rated it it was ok
Most of the stories are more interesting (and sometimes disturbing)than erotic.
Sean
Jun 05, 2011 Sean rated it really liked it
Mixed bag, some stories very steamy and engaging, some just plain weird.
Lena olive
dug it...TOO literary in some parts. Needed a smidge more smut!
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Anna C.
Anna C. marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Lisacs
Lisacs marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Arvind
Arvind rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Rosalind
Rosalind marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Jennifer Worrell
Jennifer Worrell is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2016
Crystalj
Crystalj marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Stephanie Robinson
Stephanie Robinson rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
  • Slow Hand: Women Writing Erotica
  • The Mammoth Book of Erotica: New Edition
  • Like A Wisp of Steam: Steampunk Erotica
  • Flesh and the Word: An Anthology of Erotic Writing
  • Secret Admirer (Sensual Erotica, #10)
  • The Big Bang: A Guide to the New Sexual Universe
  • Exhibitionism for the Shy
  • Best Lesbian Erotica 2007
  • The Encyclopedia of Unusual Sex Practices
  • Female Ejaculation and the G-Spot: Not Your Mother's Orgasm Book!
Susannah "Susie" Bright (also known as Susie Sexpert) is a writer, speaker, teacher, audio-show host, performer, all on the subject of sexuality. She is one of the first writers/activists referred to as a sex-positive feminist.
More about Susie Bright...

Best American Erotica (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Best American Erotica 1993
  • The Best American Erotica 1999
  • The Best American Erotica 2000
  • The Best American Erotica 2001
  • The Best American Erotica 2002
  • The Best American Erotica 2003 (Best American Erotica)