Start by marking “My Glorious Brothers” as Want to Read:
My Glorious Brothers

My Glorious Brothers

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  162 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Simon, the oldest of five brothers, chronicles the transformation from farmers to soldiers of the five Maccabee brothers and of their struggle for freedom against the Syrian-Greek conquerers of Judea, in a historical novel that recreates the events celebrated by Jews during the holiday of Hanukkah.
Published November 1st 2003 by iBooks (first published 1948)

Gary
Apr 05, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing
This review is dedicated to all the sons and daughters of Israel who have fell in defence of that remarkable land.
This wonderful book is essential for any Jew who wants to learn about his or her roots, any Christian who wants to learn more about the Judaic roots of his or her faith, and anyone else who wants to learn about the soul of the Jewish people.]
This is the story of the Maccabees- 5 glorious brothers who lead the rebellion by the Jewish people of Judea, against the cruel tyranny of that
Rebecca Huston
A entertaining if rather brief novel about the revolt of the Maccabees in the second century BCE. Told in first person narrative by one of the brothers, Simon, it's pretty much an action novel but there is plenty of views on Judaism and why it is necessary to always fight for freedom. Some modern idiom and a bit of repetition at times, but still fairly readable and not too dated. Four stars overall, and worth the hunt.

For the longer review, please go here:
Judy
Feb 05, 2015 Judy rated it liked it
This historical novel has gotten many rave reviews since it was first published in 1948. It covers the Maccabee revolt against Greece in 167 B.C. Hanukkah has its roots in the events of this period, and I learned a lot about things I knew almost nothing about. Five Maccabean brothers are at the heart of the story, and the author does a good job exploring the characters of each, but overall the book reminded me a little too much of an Irving Stone novel. Historical fiction styles have changed, an ...more
Hermien
May 26, 2016 Hermien rated it really liked it
An epic story.
Gary
Nov 10, 2014 Gary rated it it was amazing
Dale
Apr 03, 2012 Dale rated it it was amazing
A great piece of historical fiction - strongly recommended

When I teach world history I always give my students a project in which they are to read a piece of historical fiction and do a bit of research. This book is exactly the type of book I recommend for them to read and why I created the project in the first place. My Glorious Brothers is well-written and re-creates a little bit of the historical world for the reader.

Set in 2nd Century B.C. Israel, this is a story of national liberation and
Patrick Johns
Sep 24, 2012 Patrick Johns rated it it was ok
Shelves: judaica
If you like violent, blood-thirsty tales of mass murder, revenge, senseless killing, torture, bodily mutilation, and gloating over the murder of adversaries, then this is the book for you. If you want all your characters to be either glorious or innocent good guys, or evil despicable bad guys then so much the better. Should, in sooth, verily thou take unto thine heart writings beclothed in cheesy pseudo-biblical language, then you will love this. If you require that all references to sexual matt ...more
Bill P.
Apr 20, 2011 Bill P. rated it really liked it
Sourcebooks will be reissuing Fast's novel of the Maccabee revolt in Judea in 167 BC this fall. I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked this up, curious about the reference to the Jewish celebration of Hanakkah. Written in 1948, the same year Israel became an independent state, I got the impression Fast wrote the book as a statement to the world that the Jews fought for this land and won it with blood and tears way back in antiquity and there could be no question of their right to their homel ...more
Manugw
Dec 09, 2014 Manugw rated it really liked it
Good

Historial Fiction, based on real events. Describes the uprising of the Jews, who lived in Judea (Palestina) against the Greek occupation at the time (BC). The Greek forbade the Jews to comply with its most sacred beliefs so as to be absorbed into their culture. Interesting and amusing as classical learning material for those who want to know about the Jewish holiday of Chanukah (that marks the rededication of the Jewish Temple that was desecrated by the Greeks)
Third section of the book and t
Tina
Feb 22, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of the Maccabees (and the origin of Hanukkah), told mostly from the viewpoint of one of the brothers, Simon. I didn't know much about the Maccabees before reading this, but Fast's skill at storytelling gives life to the people and historical events. This made me want to do further reading to gain more insight into that period of history.
Marian
Enjoyed it...made me think about the way Jews (Christians) live in the world, with this sense of sureness and singularity and yet humility, and how it is unfathomable, even off-putting, to those who don't see the reality of what we've been given to see. Amazed at how knowing the permanent everlasting God changes your world and yourself.
Michael
Jul 01, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it

Медленно развиваются события, особенно в первой половине книги. Автор пишет менее захватывающе чем Фейхтвангер, что может быть потому что в романе больше сухой истории и меньше вымышленного чем например в "Иудейской войне". События происходят до "Иудейской войны".
Betsy
Oct 28, 2009 Betsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doug Welton mailed me this ancient paperback that is quite literally falling apart. He asked me to read it. I am intersted in the story of the Maccabees so I have begun. It is written in very old fashioned language and does not flow easily.More later.
Allan
Apr 07, 2016 Allan rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels, classics
Fantastic read: Gives reader an incite into the stubborn and defiant nature of the Jew protecting his homeland and faith.

I found it helpful in understanding the present conflict between Palestinian and Jew.
Virat Vibhu
Apr 01, 2013 Virat Vibhu rated it really liked it
A beautiful story told in a simple yet riveting manner which i missed for long.....
Ky
Aug 20, 2009 Ky rated it it was amazing
I love this book about the Jewish uprising that led to the story of Hanakuh
Sally
Aug 24, 2012 Sally rated it really liked it

Long live the Maccabees! Beautifully written.
Davehbo
liked it less than "Maccabee"
Glenn
Dec 25, 2012 Glenn rated it really liked it
An annual read for me.
Boomie
Boomie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Yair Mau
Yair Mau rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Sal Stracey
Sal Stracey marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Dan Antonellis
Dan Antonellis rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Sam Sotelo
Sam Sotelo marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Susiemorris
Susiemorris marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Daavid
Daavid marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Cameron
Cameron marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Judaism
  • Mr. and Mrs. Madison's War: America's First Couple and the War of 1812
  • The Rainborowes: One Family's Quest to Build a New England
  • As Good as God, as Clever as the Devil, the impossible life of Mary Benson
  • An Illicit Temptation (Tang Dynasty, #3.5)
  • London in Chains: An English Civil War Novel (English Civil War, #1)
  • In These Times: Living in Britain Through Napoleon's Wars, 1793–1815
  • Fire in the City: Savonarola and the Struggle for Renaissance Florence
  • Miss Jacobson's Journey (Rothschild Trilogy, #1)
  • Tides of War
  • The Buried Book: The Loss and Rediscovery of the Great Epic of Gilgamesh
  • The Purple Shroud: A Novel of Empress Theodora
  • The Loves of Charles II (Stuart Saga, #2-4)
  • Kepler's Witch: An Astronomer's Discovery of Cosmic Order Amid Religious War, Political Intrigue, and the Heresy Trial of His Mother
  • Thomas Becket: Warrior, Priest, Rebel
  • Jewel of Persia
  • Beds
  • We Say No: Chronicles 1963-1991
Howard Fast (1914–2003) was one of the most prolific American writers of the twentieth century. He was a bestselling author of more than eighty works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and screenplays. The son of immigrants, Fast grew up in New York City and published his first novel upon finishing high school in 1933. In 1950, his refusal to provide the United States Congress with a list of possible ...more
More about Howard Fast...

“On three things life rests: on right, which is set forth in the Law; on truth, which is set forth in the world; and on the love of one man for another, which is set forth in your heart.” 0 likes