Start by marking “How to Bury a Goldfish: And Other Ceremonies & Celebrations for Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
How to Bury a Goldfish: And Other Ceremonies & Celebrations for Everyday Life

How to Bury a Goldfish: And Other Ceremonies & Celebrations for Everyday Life

How to Bury a Goldfish is an inventive collection of new traditions and rituals to commemorate and honor the many special moments and milestones in day-to-day life. Enjoyable and easy to follow, the rituals are short, cost almost nothing, and can be easily adapted to fit any lifestyle. The authors cover a wide range of life's events, both big and small, from helping a sing ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Skinner House (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about How to Bury a Goldfish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Bury a Goldfish

Kate
Mar 07, 2010 Kate rated it did not like it
So disappointing! I enjoy the idea of bonding with family and friends by creating memories together, and to recognize special moments in ordinary days as well as significant occasions. This, though...no. Only the most new-agey families would indulge mom (let alone happily) in these "rituals," most of which truly would better be described as "ceremonies." Admittedly, some of the underlying sentiments and basic premises of these rituals are so very sweet and kind-hearted. But seriously, how many o ...more
Janie
Jul 15, 2009 Janie rated it it was ok
Recommended to Janie by: U---
Shelves: non-fiction
I was a bit disappointed. I had to bring a lot more to the book than I got out of it. Still, depending on the stage you're at in ruminating on tradition, there's something to be had in here for figuring out what you would like and what you already have (and maybe what you can do without).

This really focuses on everyday life *of families with children*, although a concession is thrown here and there to the people in other life situations.

Unfortunately, this book too often fell on the terribly twe
Melinda
Jan 02, 2014 Melinda rated it liked it
Shelves: family
I can't really see using too many of the rituals in this book, but I really appreciated the idea. It got me thinking about how my family marks occasions both everyday and grand. The best part of the whole thing for me was the introduction. The book is an invitation and an offering, and I took it in that spirit.
Stephanie
Feb 28, 2008 Stephanie rated it liked it
This is a valuable book, but I felt many of the vignettes were just snippets of ideas rather than complete descriptions of ceremonies. As a UU, I'm searching for valuable ways to celebrate non-religious events. This book points in the right direction, but didn't fulfill my hopes for it.
Kellie
Jun 06, 2010 Kellie rated it it was ok
Disappointing. There are a handful of good ideas, but most of them I cannot see myself or almost anyone I know actually doing. Example: celebrate the Rite of Spring by lying face down on the ground for a while and relaxing your body and feeling it "blend with the earth".
Storhm
Oct 20, 2013 Storhm rated it it was amazing
Fantastic.
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Mommyhungry
Mommyhungry rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Sunshine Jeremiah
Sunshine Jeremiah rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2015
Sarah Choffnes
Sarah Choffnes rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Darla Sigmon
Darla Sigmon rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Kbg503
Kbg503 rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2013
Karena
Karena rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2011
Mel Quinlan
Mel Quinlan rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Brooke Larkins
Brooke Larkins rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Casey
Casey rated it liked it
May 21, 2012
Megan Seely
Megan Seely rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2010
Diggitt McLaughlin
Diggitt McLaughlin rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Katrina
Katrina rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2008
Alisa
Alisa rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2010
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2009
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2008
Kat C
Kat C rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2008
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2009
Amy added it
Sep 25, 2008
Kandra
Kandra marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2008
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2008
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2008
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2009
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2009
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2009
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2010
Jennifer James
Jennifer James marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2010
Jamie Waryn
Jamie Waryn marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2010
Ami
Ami marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2010
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2011
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 31, 2012
M
M marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2012
John Rose
John Rose marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Lissa
Lissa marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Born in NYC now living in San Francisco, I've been working on a memoir for over ten years--Burned--about a tragic accident in Cape Cod that severely burned my parents. That book will come out in April 2010 from Atlas and Co.

Before that I wrote two books of poetry--Keeping Watch and The Houses are Covered in Sound--and then I co-authored a non-fiction book How to Bury a Goldfish. I also teach full

More about Virginia E. Lang...