How to Bury a Goldfish: And Other Ceremonies & Celebrations for Everyday Life

How to Bury a Goldfish: And Other Ceremonies & Celebrations for Everyday Life

2.68 of 5 stars 2.68  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  6 reviews
How to Bury a Goldfish is an inventive collection of new traditions and rituals to commemorate and honor the many special moments and milestones in day-to-day life. Enjoyable and easy to follow, the rituals are short, cost almost nothing, and can be easily adapted to fit any lifestyle. The authors cover a wide range of life's events, both big and small, from helping a sing...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Skinner House (first published 2000)

Kate
So disappointing! I enjoy the idea of bonding with family and friends by creating memories together, and to recognize special moments in ordinary days as well as significant occasions. This, though...no. Only the most new-agey families would indulge mom (let alone happily) in these "rituals," most of which truly would better be described as "ceremonies." Admittedly, some of the underlying sentiments and basic premises of these rituals are so very sweet and kind-hearted. But seriously, how many o...more
Janie
Jul 28, 2009 Janie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Janie by: U---
Shelves: non-fiction
I was a bit disappointed. I had to bring a lot more to the book than I got out of it. Still, depending on the stage you're at in ruminating on tradition, there's something to be had in here for figuring out what you would like and what you already have (and maybe what you can do without).

This really focuses on everyday life *of families with children*, although a concession is thrown here and there to the people in other life situations.

Unfortunately, this book too often fell on the terribly twe...more
Melinda
I can't really see using too many of the rituals in this book, but I really appreciated the idea. It got me thinking about how my family marks occasions both everyday and grand. The best part of the whole thing for me was the introduction. The book is an invitation and an offering, and I took it in that spirit.
Stephanie
This is a valuable book, but I felt many of the vignettes were just snippets of ideas rather than complete descriptions of ceremonies. As a UU, I'm searching for valuable ways to celebrate non-religious events. This book points in the right direction, but didn't fulfill my hopes for it.
Kellie
Disappointing. There are a handful of good ideas, but most of them I cannot see myself or almost anyone I know actually doing. Example: celebrate the Rite of Spring by lying face down on the ground for a while and relaxing your body and feeling it "blend with the earth".
Storhm
Fantastic.
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Lissa
Lissa marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
John Rose
John Rose marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
M
M marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2012
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 31, 2012
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2011
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2011
Ami
Ami marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2010
Jamie Waryn
Jamie Waryn marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2010
Jennifer James
Jennifer James marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2010
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2010
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2009
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2009
Born in NYC now living in San Francisco, I've been working on a memoir for over ten years--Burned--about a tragic accident in Cape Cod that severely burned my parents. That book will come out in April 2010 from Atlas and Co.

Before that I wrote two books of poetry--Keeping Watch and The Houses are Covered in Sound--and then I co-authored a non-fiction book How to Bury a Goldfish. I also teach full

More about Virginia E. Lang...