Start by marking “An Absence Of Light” as Want to Read:
An Absence Of Light

An Absence Of Light

From a best-selling author who's been compared to Le Carre and Graham Greene, a taut, literate thriller of a dubious death in Houston that leads to a former Mossad legend turned arms merchant � and master criminal.
Published (first published April 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about An Absence Of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Absence Of Light

George M.
Sep 10, 2013 George M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many years ago I read Lindsey’s Spiral in paperback and really enjoyed it; some of the action took place in Houston locations that I regularly traversed. Now equipped with a Kindle, I decided to dip into another Houston-based Lindsey offering, An Absence of Light. Lindsey writes great prose, and his description of the byzantine workings of HPD’s Criminal Intelligence Division seemed to reflect that he’d done his homework. The apparent suicide of a CID officer leads to his superior’s decision to ...more
Lisa
May 11, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
David Lindsey is a wonderful author. It was a gripping story (but did I expect anything less?)! What I enjoy about his books is that the author lives in Austin (as do I) and writes most of his books set in Houston. I grew up there, so it's like I'm going in my mind where the characters go in the book. But even if you aren't from Houston, his books are truly suspenseful!
John
Sep 07, 2013 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, audio, 2-star, borrowed, 2013
OK, so I was listening to this as an audio book, and I was about 30 minutes out of over 16 hours from the end, and I accidentally erased it from my player. It was at that point I accepted that I didn't care enough to put it back and find my place. I think the pacing of this book was it's biggest problem. Even when the author was trying to have things happening all a once to give a sense of tension it seemed slow. I never got a sense of urgency from the book, and I never turned it off feeling anx ...more
G Kahuna
Apr 22, 2015 G Kahuna rated it liked it
Actually, read this book last year, but couldn't remember much about it so read again. This is a good book, but not great. Story is believable if you subscribe to the idea that there is always a someone else a little higher up pulling the strings - a conspiracy theory of sorts. Marcus Graver is forced to keep climbing this latter to figure out what was going on in his Counterintelligence department.
Guy Allen
Sep 18, 2013 Guy Allen rated it really liked it
This is an excellent story, well written with a strong plot. The protagonist, Marcus Graver, is fully developed and totally believable. The twist ending was a bit predictable, but the build-up to the final scenes was well crafted. The workings of a big city police force are clear, and the paranoia associated with the discovery of criminal activities within their ranks definately adds a dimension to the minor characters.
Lynette Barfield
May 27, 2011 Lynette Barfield rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite authors delivers a tale of a former Mossad agent turned drug dealer in Houston, Texas. He has infiltrated sections of the police department which leads to a hush, hush investigation involving a few policemen and outside investigators. This is an extremely good book with a powerful cast of characters and an excellent plot. If you haven't read David Lindsey, try this one.
Blair
Jul 11, 2012 Blair rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall an interesting plot, but there were plenty of moments when I thought the story would never pick up (especially at the beginning) even though it starts off with a newly discovered dead body.
Chuck
Apr 12, 2010 Chuck rated it it was amazing
Captain Marcus Graver, Chief of the Houston Police Department
Intelligence Unit, investigates the alleged suicide of one of his
investigators. Complicated, serpentine plot. Good story.
Joe Newell
Mar 14, 2013 Joe Newell rated it really liked it
A very intelligent and intricate story. A procedural crime investigation with all the necessary ingredients for a good thriller.
Scottaggart
Jul 03, 2016 Scottaggart rated it liked it
At times it was like reading a manual on interdepartmental procedure at a large metropolitan police department. The book could have been a hundred pages shorter.
Roshni
Aug 09, 2016 Roshni rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A fast-paced thriller set in Houston. The complex spycraft and intrigue races to a climax that is realistic and therefore not completely tied up in a bow.
Connie
May 20, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
There are many twists and turns in this book, keeps you guessing and pulling for the main character. The ending is surprising.
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2015
Jumanah
Jumanah rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2009
Linda Look
Linda Look rated it really liked it
May 16, 2013
Vern Vernon
Vern Vernon rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2009
Janice
Janice rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2012
Kathy James
Kathy James rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Y-von
Y-von rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Gill
Gill rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Cameron Dougan
Cameron Dougan rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2011
Peter van der mede
Peter van der mede rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2013
Martie
Martie rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2008
Cathy
Jun 21, 2010 Cathy rated it liked it
Not as good as "Mercy"...
Michał Możdżeń
Michał Możdżeń rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Tedsandi2000 Kinghorn
Tedsandi2000 Kinghorn rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2008
Bob Dekar
Bob Dekar rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2014
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2011
Jonathan Moulton
Jonathan Moulton rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
  • Skyhook
  • I'll Be Watching You
  • The First Horseman
  • Forgotten
  • Poison (87th Precinct, #39)
  • In The Blink Of An Eye
  • A Line in the Sand
  • I Was Wrong
  • 1000 Years for Revenge: International Terrorism and the FBI--the Untold Story
  • Critical Mass
  • The Final Kill
  • Pointing From The Grave: A True Story of Murder and DNA
Lindsey spent his childhood in the Texas Rio Grande Valley and in West Texas, near San Angelo. He graduated from North Texas State University with a degree in English literature and moved to Austin, Texas in 1970, where he has lived ever since.

During the 1970s, Lindsey worked as a book editor at a number of small publishing houses in Austin. At one point he operated his own publishing firm, Heidel
More about David L. Lindsey...