Start by marking “The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables & Reflections (The Sandman, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables & Reflections (The Sandman, #6)

The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables & Reflections (The Sandman #6)

4.45  ·  Rating Details ·  39,156 Ratings  ·  864 Reviews
The critically acclaimed THE SANDMAN: FABLES AND REFLECTIONS continues the fantastical epic of Morpheus, the King of Dreams, as he observes and interacts with an odd assortment of historical and fictional characters throughout time. Featuring tales of kings, explorers, spies, and werewolves, this book of myth and imagination delves into the dark dreams of Augustus Caesar, ...more
Published (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandman, Vol. 6, please sign up.

C. Check your library and its digital content. My library has it available digitally, yours might to if you're lucky. If you're not lucky, then check…moreCheck your library and its digital content. My library has it available digitally, yours might to if you're lucky. If you're not lucky, then check their shelves. It's such a popular series that they might have it with whatever other comics/graphic novels they have.

If you're really not lucky, ask a friend if they have a copy.

If you're the most unlucky person in the world you can still buy a digital copy or a used copy from Amazon or some other retailer of choice. But would that really be so bad? This is a book that I plan on buying once i get a little extra cash because I really want to read it over and over again :)(less)

Alejandro
A priceless journey through history and folklore!

Creative Team:

Writer: Neil Gaiman

Illustrators: Shawn McManus, P. Graig Russell, Bryan Talbot, Kent Williams, John Watkiss, Jill Thompson, Duncan Eagleson & Stan Woch

Covers: Dave McKean

Letterer: Todd Klein

EMPERORS, CITIES, MONTHS, TEARS & SONGS

In this sixth volume, Fables & Reflections, you will find an illustrated short story right in the beginning of it, even before the introduction, written by Gene Wolfe (which by the way, no off
Brad
I'm really in the swing of my Sandman re-read and loving every second of it, now.

I love the retelling of Orpheus. Hell, that entire sequence sent chills down my spine and kept making me think along the original storyline, making fantastic connections. It's not for the faint of heart. My only complaint was the script. It wasn't the easiest to read. Still, what lies underneath is the most important. French-revolution and the Furies, indeed!

I liked all the stories, really, and even while they don't
Algernon
Aug 04, 2013 Algernon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, comics

Dreams are composed of many things, my son. Of images and hopes, of fears and memories. Memories of the past, and memories of the future...

Volume six is a collection of shorter stories, one-shot issues that may or may not be related to the main story arc, but they offer the author the chance to explore different aspects of the way Dreams shape our world and define our personalities. I actually believe Gaiman is better in this form than in the longer sequences, as he has more creative liberty a
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨

I feel bad every time I don't love a Neil Gaiman book (which seems to be a lot). He's a genius, if you didn't know. So I know my cool factor is pretty low, but especially when I rate one of his books poorly. So I'm sure it's just me. I am unable to see the brilliance. I know.

This was a longer volume, and there were a few stories I liked. However, I admit, I skimmed most of it because I can never get into the stories based in different time periods. They just seem to ramble on. Sometimes I reall
StoryTellerShannon
THE SERIES

When introducing people to graphic novels (especially those who think they're just comic strip superheroes for kids with no depth) I point them in the direction of this beloved series. It chronicles the trials and tribulations of Dream, an Endless being who is something like an Old God who is superior to most known godly beings. He operates in many worlds most specifically Earth.

The Sandman was one of Vertigo's flagship titles, and is available as a series of ten trade paperbacks. It
Bill  Kerwin
Nov 20, 2016 Bill Kerwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The sixth collection—as its title suggests—is a somewhat random grab-bag of tales, only tenuously connected with the Sandman story. Still, there are a couple of themes present here: 1) the fate of empires and emperors, and 2) the ways in which narrative—in dream and song—can sustain hope and foster illusion.

Four of the stories feature historical rulers—Emperor Caesar Augustus, revolutionary leaders Robespierre and St. Just, Caliph Harun al-Rashid, and San Francisco native Joshua Norton (self-pro
Brooke
Fables & Reflections was probably my least favorite Sandman volume so far. While I delighted in the single-issue stories in Dream Country, the ones contained in this one didn't thrill me as much. I lost my focus a few times and wished there weren't so many grouped together without a common theme. Dream Country, on the other hand, was the perfect taste of outside-the-plot mini tales.

The stories about Orpheus were the most interesting, being the most relevant to Dream, and I found myself wishi
Anthony Chavez
Being the sixth volume in the Sandman series, "Reflections and Fables" takes a different twist than readers are accustomed to - a volume entirely of the past. There are nine stories in the volume, each relating to the Sandman universe in its own way, yet each remarkably different and unique in their own way (minus the Orpheus volumes).

The opening chapter, Fear of Falling, really a prologue, is in itself wonderfully written and in only a few pages it packs a powerful message. Other notable chapte
Stuart
Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections: Luminous tales of rulers, adventurers, dreamers

After Vol 5: A Game of You, my least favorite Sandman volume so far, I’m happy to report a resounding return to form in Vol 6: Fables and Reflections, a collection of stand-alone stories centered on various prominent figures in different periods of history, including the Emperor of the United States in 19th century San Francisco (“Three Septembers and a January”), Robespierre in early 18th century revolutiona
Pavle
Nov 07, 2015 Pavle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stripovi
Broj po svemu paralelan trećem, više zbirka priča gde je Morfeus epizodni lik nego jedan dug, povezan arc. I to nije loša stvar sa obzirom na kvalitet ovih priča koji po svemu zasenjuje treći broj. Posebno izdvajam Ramadan i The Parliament of Rooks.

Teresa
Jan 22, 2014 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though the first seems more like a preface than a fully realized story, I was impressed by every one of the nine short stories in this volume, thus the 5 stars. While it's true that each is a standalone, some contain themes that seem to comment (reflect?) on each other; or include recurring characters, such as Orpheus, or even characters from the main storyline, such as Lyta and Johanna Constantine. I discovered another "comment/reflection" as I was, fittingly enough, falling asleep.

I was amused
Rowena
Sep 15, 2012 Rowena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, graphic-novels
I read a lot of graphic novels (Asterix, Tintin etc) as a child but this was probably my first adult graphic novel.I was seriously impressed. Despite the fact that it was a comic book, and I generally expect to see simple writing in those, the calibre of the writing was very high and the stories were quite intellectual and thought-provoking. The graphics were great too. And, as a history lover, seeing all the famous historical characters in this book was really quite cool.

Just one teensy little
Beth
1/9/2017 - This is my 3rd time reading this collection. I decided to add to the previous review I did last year, since writing an entirely new review for each of the stories seemed like too much work. (Also, I've edited this review so the only spoiler tags are for later volumes; I haven't said anything about major twists in these stories.)

I think this is my favorite of the short story collections, especially for the stories "Thermidor," "Orpheus," and "Ramadan." The 9 stories in this volume all
Ronyell
After reading the fifth volume in Neil Gaiman’s fantastic “Sandman” series, “A Game of You,” I just had to read the sixth volume of the “Sandman” series called “Fables and Reflections.” In this volume, we are introduced to more miscellaneous stories that involve Morpheus and his siblings’ involvement with various characters’ dreams.

Just like the third volume of the “Sandman” series “Dream Country, “ “Fables and Reflections” is mainly a collection of different tales that detail the adventures tha
Paul
Dec 13, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2015
In this sixth book of the Sandman series, Gaiman takes a brief pause from the main storyline. There are nine of new stories in here, some short, others longer, with characters from earlier stories and a host of new ones.

Compared to earlier books, this is not as dark or bleak, and Gaiman has dusted the stories within with a touch of whimsy, but they still have depth and the ability to make you think. Some are based in America, but he travels time and the world in the tales, with Morpheus appeari
Ivan
Nov 16, 2014 Ivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Like volume 3 this part also consists of short stories from several different authors where Sandman himself is more or less secondary character.
Stories in this collection where lot better than those in volume 3, which I thought was low point of the series.
It's definitively not as good as volume 2 or 4 but still worthy read for fans of series.
Caro M.
The Ramadan arc was wow, just wow. Still, not enough Morpheus in this volume. 4.95.
Panagiotis
Mar 31, 2017 Panagiotis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Όταν έρχεται η στιγμή να γράψω για ένα βιβλίο, περνάνε διάφορα για το μυαλό μου. Είναι παράξενες οι σκέψεις και δύσκολες να τις συμμαζέψεις. Για παράδειγμα αυτήν την στιγμή κυριαρχεί το εξής μέσα μου: γιατι να συνεχίζει να γράφει κανείς την γνώμη του για μια σειρά; Έχω φτάσει στον 6ο τόμο, μέσω μιας έως τώρα αναγνωστικής πορείας άκρως ικανοποιητικής - ο 5ος τόμος ήταν ένα από τα καλύτερα κόμικς που 'χω διαβάσει τα τελευταία χρόνια. Επιπλέον, τι να πω που δεν έχει ειπωθεί για τον Γκείμαν, για τον ...more
Nicolo Yu
Sep 18, 2009 Nicolo Yu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collected-comics
The last chapter, "Ramadan." Gets 5 stars though. A nice stand alone tale with great art and design by P. Craig Russell.
Andrew
Aug 29, 2007 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I used to stubbornly think that graphic novels had no intellectual merits other than for amateur entertainment (I know, pedestal). This series not only blew me away visually, but caused me to see graphic novels in a new light. Everyone should read this series.

Here's what i want to say, but someone else said it first and better than i could:
"Erudite, allusive, complex and ambitious, SANDMAN is undoubtedly the finest writing the mainstream comic book industry has ever seen. It dares to tell the st
El
Aug 16, 2014 El rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guh, love.

Unlike Dream Country, another collection of shorts, I liked almost all the stories in this one. The concept of Fables & Reflections worked for me, and for the stories themselves. These stories do not jar you from the Mythos as I felt Dream Country's stories did more often than not. I think in this collection the only one that didn't quite work for me was "August", which I felt missed the mark slightly, or didn't quite fit with the rest of the collection.

But others, like "The Hunt"
Javier Muñoz
Este sexto tomo contiene varios relatos cortos conclusivos que nos llevan a distintas épocas y lugares del mundo, inspirados en momentos históricos, mitos, leyendas... Gaiman busca en las rendijas de las historias para ofrecernos su visión personal y crear nuevas narraciones y cuentos.

Cada una de las historias muestra el estilo y la personalidad de gaiman, una historia de la revolución francesa con su toque tenebroso, el emperador augusto que pasa un día siendo mendigo, la canción de Orfeo, , la
Joey Karlin
Mar 05, 2010 Joey Karlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
•ҠЄЄ ♔ ҨԱЄЄИ•
I was not a big fan of the third volume Dream Country which was composed of short stories. With the notable exception of A Midsummer's Night Dream, the rest of the stories did not interest me in the long-term.

Thankfully enough, Fables and Reflections is an anthology which I thoroughly enjoyed. This volume had a lot to offer, and I devoured the tales with much content.

My favorites are definitely Three Septembers and a January, The Parliament of Rooks, Soft Places and Ramadan. But the rest of the
Paul
The second straight 5-star rating by me with a Sandman volume. As good as volume 5 was at creating a large arc story that I loved, volume 6 created short stories that were equally as good. After finishing each short story I said to myself, "oh wow, that was a good story," and I never stopped saying that. It is rare that each short story in a collection, in any medium, is something I end up liking, let alone loving.

This volume collects 9 different graphic short stories .

1. Fear of Falling - A sh
Gef
The last time I dove into The Sandman series was when I read Volume 5 back in May of last year. As it turns out it was this volume, Fables and Reflections, that originally garnered my interest for this series, because I had seen more than one list citing this the best of the entire series and in comics period.

Like a few of the other books in the series, this is a collection of stand-alone stories rather than one long narrative. There are some winks and nods to past storylines, though.

It started
Ryan Rebel
Jun 11, 2011 Ryan Rebel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good story.
Recommended to Ryan by: Mr. K
Shelves: reviewed
This is the second time I've read this particular entry in the Sandman series, and it doesn't cease to amaze. It's no wonder an issue of Sandman won the World Fantasy Award (I believe that's what it was called) much to the chagrin of many purists who refused to accept graphic novels as a viable medium. The fact is, Sandman is scads better than almost all of the traditional books I have ever read.

This particular compilation is a must read, particularly for history lovers, particularly for those i
Noora
Feb 15, 2017 Noora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2017
Yes, yes, and for the last time – YES! This is the reason why I love, adore and admire The Sandman comic series. Myths, stories within stories, hints and clues, intertextuality, crossing storylines, impressive character study and commentary on our society all joined together make this a compelling read. Or perhaps I'm just a big sucker for fables and fairytales?
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Library

From Goodreads:
FABLES & REFLECTIONS follows the Lord of Dreams through nine remarkable tales as he touches lives from the mists of the past to the nightmares of the present. In these episodes, kings and spies, emperors and actors, ravens and werewolves all share their stories and their dreams--dreams of life and love, and of power and darkness.

Overall not a bad volume. The illustrations of Dream are sometimes weird and Despair is creepy at all times. I love how each of
Antonella

"Muchos sueños atraviesan las puertas de marfil, Lucio, y mienten. Algunos sueños atraviesan las puertas de cuerno y dicen la verdad."

Quedé enamorada de cómo esta hecha la última historia: Ramadan.

2016 Reading Challenge:

The S
  • Lucifer, Vol. 2: Children and Monsters
  • Fables, Vol. 9: Sons of Empire
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 2: Love and Death
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure (Transmetropolitan, #9)

The Sandman (10 books)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
  • The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House
  • The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country
  • The Sandman, Vol. 4: Season of Mists
  • The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You
  • The Sandman, Vol. 7: Brief Lives
  • Worlds' End (The Sandman #8)
  • The Kindly Ones (The Sandman, #9)
  • The Wake (The Sandman #10)

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” 10119 likes
“You attend the funeral, you bid the dead farewell. You grieve. Then you continue with your life. And at times the fact of her absence will hit you like a blow to the chest, and you will weep. But this will happen less and less as time goes on. She is dead. You are alive. So live.” 246 likes