Start by marking “Aristotle: Selections” as Want to Read:
Aristotle: Selections

Aristotle

Aristotle: Selections

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A tour de force of scholarship and the art of translation, this volume includes a fully integrated set of translations by a single team, a feature enabling Greekless readers to read widely and deeply in Aristotle with continuity, appreciation for his use of technical terminology and for the structure of his philosophy as a whole. Building on this advantage is the most deta ...more
Published June 28th 1976 by Littlefield Adams (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Aristotle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aristotle

Polo
I'm more of a Plato fan, but it was pleasure reading Aristotle.
Benjamin
Three reasons I love this book:

1. The translations take a middle road between a word for word translation of Aristotle's Greek and a more fluent but less accurate rendering in English prose. Where the translators have supplemented the Greek to make the English more readable, the additions are placed in brackets . Though sometimes I found the bracketed text unnecessary, it rarely interfered with my reading.

2. The explanatory notes provided are in many cases enlightening and in some cases they wer
Jorge
May 22, 2014 Jorge marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Not started yet but thrilled to read about the guy that formalized logic!
Ian Paredes
now, i'm relatively new to studying philosophy (i've just recently majored in it), and i'm especially new to studying aristotle, so i can't really give any comments on the translation. however, there's TONS of footnotes and a very illuminating glossary of words that provide both discussions on what a certain word might mean, as well as alternative translations that might illuminate a certain passage. tying this book with the cambridge companion on aristotle is highly recommended.
James Benson
A solid treatment of Aristotle's most important works, covering more material than most introductory texts (e.g. Categories, Prior and Posterior Analytics, De Interpretatione, Topics, and many others, including all of Aristotle's most famous books). Well annotated and with a useful glossary included. This was the text for my class on Aristotle in university, and I was very much satisfied with it.
Lauren
I haven't read all of this, but I have spent so much time in it that a review is warranted. This translation is amazing, and the layout and subtitles are very helpful compared to other editions lacking them. Aristotle brought sweet relief after far too much Plato, and filled in some of the gaping holes in my knowledge of the history of philosophy.
Courtney
Very good if you can get past his interrupted/unfinished train of thought. Disagreed with some of his ideas but still very interesting. Need to chisel away at it more when I'm a more patient kind of person.
André Vridstoft
Besides the fact that the authors have made a few mis-translations from the original greek text, this is actually one of the best english translations i have read to date.
Paul Cato
Having gone through his system I will give Aristotle his credit (though I will always remain faithful to Plato) - he did seem to wrap up the world pretty successfully.
Adam
I've read through the Physics, the Metaphysics, De Anima, Nichomachean Ethics, and the Politics.
Satnam Singh
Satnam Singh marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Dan Boles
Dan Boles marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Elena Zolotariov
Elena Zolotariov marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Kirby
Kirby marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Keri Weinfurtner
Keri Weinfurtner marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Preston Carter
Preston Carter marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
  • Persecution and the Art of Writing
  • Fear of Knowledge: Against Relativism and Constructivism
  • Sextus Empiricus: Outlines of Scepticism
  • Epistemology: An Anthology
  • Principia Ethica (Philosophical Classics)
  • A History of Philosophy 2: Medieval Philosophy
  • A Companion to Ethics (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy)
(Greece: Αριστοτέλης)
(Arabic: أرسطوطاليس)

Aristotle (384–322 B.C.E.) numbers among the greatest philosophers of all time. Judged solely in terms of his philosophical influence, only Plato is his peer: Aristotle's works shaped centuries of philosophy from Late Antiquity through the Renaissance, and even today continue to be studied with keen, non-antiquarian interest. A prodigious researcher and wri
More about Aristotle...
Politics The Nicomachean Ethics Metaphysics Poetics De Anima (On the Soul)