Start by marking “Alvin Ho: Allergic to the Great Wall, the Forbidden Palace, and Other Tourist Attractions” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Here’s the sixth book in the beloved and hilarious Alvin Ho chapter book series, which has been compared to Diary of a Wimpy Kid and is perfect for both beginning and reluctant readers.

Alvin, an Asian American second grader who’s afraid of everything, is taking his fears to a whole new level—or should we say, continent. On a trip to introduce brand-new baby Ho to relative
Published August 5th 2014 by Schwartz & Wade (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Alvin Ho, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alvin Ho

Alex Baugh
It's Christmas vacation and Alvin Ho, 7 year old Chinese American second grader, is back for another adventure and this time he's leaving his home in Concord, MA and traveling half way around the world to visit family in Beijing, China.

For most kids, a trip to China would be an exciting, fun adventure, but most kids aren't Alvin. For Alvin, it means packing your PDK (Personal Disaster Kit), and climbing into a tin can to fly half way around the world, accompanied by his dad, his mom, older brot
babyhippoface
This was a tough call for me. I loved Alvin Ho in his first appearance. He was adorable and endearing. In this novel, though, I was impatient with him, wanted him to be more reasonable, and found him annoying for most of the first half of the book. His behavior on the airplane was not acceptable, and his irrational fears caused his family unnecessary difficulties and delays both in the airport and once they reached their destination in China. I wanted his parents to say, “I know you're afraid of ...more
Heather
Another adorable addition to Alvin Ho's adventures. In this book Alvin and his family travel to China to take in the sights and visit family. Alvin still finds plenty of things to be scared of and hilarity ensues.

Summary:
Here's the sixth book in the beloved and hilarious Alvin Ho chapter book series, which has been compared to Diary of a Wimpy Kid and is perfect for both beginning and reluctant readers. Alvin, an Asian American second grader who's afraid of everything, is taking his fears to a
Venus
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

Alvin Ho is traveling with his family to China. However, when you are the kind of kid who fears everything, China can seem like a very scary place. First there is the 16-hour plane ride, then there's things like eating lunch food for breakfast, kung-fu lessons, acupuncture, the Great Wall of China, and a lost passport.

Apparently, this is the sixth book in the Alvin Ho series and I simply cannot believe I have not read them before. Alvin is a little
Emmet O'Neal Library- Children's Department
Within a couple pages of the front cover, Alvin has already stripped down to his birthday suit in the airport security line and emptied the highly suspicious contents (you know, knives, lighter fluid, etc.) of his PDK onto the x-ray conveyor belt. And the rest of the book continues in typical Alvin fashion, all the way to the high rises and air pollution and ancient history of Beijing to visit his relatives.

Alvin is just as lovable across the globe as he is in Concord – but you’ll be thankful yo
Amanda
This is the first Alvin Ho book that I've read. I enjoyed it. It's for a younger audience than I expected. I'll be recommending it to students in grades 2-4. There is a lot of humor, and many children will identify with Alvin's worries. You can think of this as Scaredy Squirrel in novel form, with a side of Asian-American experience. I suspect it would make a great read-aloud. All that being said, I found Alvin's antics repetitive and I am not compelled to read any more in the series.
The Styling Librarian
Alvin Ho: Allergic to the Great Wall, the Forbidden Palace, and Other Tourist Attractions by Lenore Look, illustrated by LeUyen Pham – Realistic Fiction – 3rd grade and up – What a fantastic novel this was! I loved every bit from traveling with Alvin on an airplane to going through security checks to walking up stairs versus riding an elevator to adventuring around incredible places in China… loved every dramatic, hilarious moment.
Karen Arendt
I just love Alvin Ho, and this is his funniest book yet! The family takes a trip to China, but Alvin's fear of most everything causes troubles including losing a very important passport! I chuckled each time Alvin had a new fish name for his new baby sister, Claire, too. A great read aloud for grades 1-3.
Natalie Moreland
Alvin Ho is hysterical. This book didn't quite live up to the standards of the first few. It felt like Look was trying to hard to be similar to stories like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. But it was enjoyable nonetheless.
Tracey
Alvin Ho is one of my favorite elementary series. Alvin has a great family who loves him in spite of his phobias. He is such a real little boy, endearing and frustrating.
Rachel
Reviewed for the Emmet O'Neal Library Children's Department. Click here to access the children's portion of the review.
Rachael
Kiddo & I really enjoyed this, but both found the ending waaaaaaaaay too unresolved for our tastes.
Moni Smith
This was great! Very funny.
Read  Ribbet
Alvin Ho is back and this time his family is visiting China. The travel and new surroundings set up many reasons to raise his anxieties. The book is loaded with information about the Chinese tourist attractions as Alvin , his family and relatives spend time together abroad. Alvin Ho continues to be a favorite Acceptable and Accessible text series.

Anna
Delightfully silly. A fun story, told in a unique, quirky voice. Some scenes were more than a little over the top which was not really necessary and I would have preferred that the story stay a little more grounded. But on the whole I liked it and will probably read more Alvin (as this turns out to be the 6th in the series.)
Marci
Read this with my son and we laughed and laughed!
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Alvin Ho is especially hilarious as he relays the dangers of international travel, including flushing pit toilets. Aaagghh!
Nika Sergeeva
Nika Sergeeva marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2014
Pamreads
Pamreads marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Cindy Smith
Cindy Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I first began making picture books in kindergarten because my other career option at the time was stealing. But a life of crime requires practice and patience, neither of which I had, so I settled into industry, making what I coveted but what my parents could not afford to buy: beautiful books like the ones my teacher read to us in school.

Publishing was no problem in those days, not like it is no
More about Lenore Look...
Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (Alvin Ho, #1) Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2) Ruby Lu, Brave and True Alvin Ho: Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4) Alvin Ho: Allergic to Birthday Parties, Science Projects, and Other Man-made Catastrophes (Alvin Ho, #3)