Start by marking “My Days in the Underworld: Rise of the Bangalore Mafia” as Want to Read:
My Days in the Underworld: Rise of the Bangalore Mafia

My Days in the Underworld: Rise of the Bangalore Mafia

Agni Sreedhar is an underworld don turned writer turned journalist turned filmmaker. He studied law in Bangalore and was intent on entering the Indian Civil Service when circumstances forced him to turn to crime. Starting from the early 1980s, Sreedhar found himself entrenched in the bitter gang wars that shaped the contours of modern Bangalore. This book is an intimate, ...more
Published 2013 by Tranquebar Press

To ask other readers questions about My Days in the Underworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Days in the Underworld

Preethi Bhat
Nov 01, 2016 Preethi Bhat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too strong to take some of it... Yet very touching!!

This book explains the brutality of Underworld at the same time it explains the love and affection people have.. Trusting people in underworld doesn't seem to be an easy thing... But it proved the unexpected...
Santhosh
Nov 20, 2016 Santhosh rated it liked it
Good one to understand the perspective of a committed criminal.
Aparajita Raychaudhury
The subject matter is really interesting and worth more; at least a 4.5 star.

I enjoyed the detailed description of events, especially the way he manages to bring alive a crime scene (and the occasional police torture) without being brutal or gory. Since I'm familiar with most of the places mentioned (KR Park, where he extorts gay men, happen to be my favorite place in Bangalore) it was like discovering a secret history of your country.
He doesn't indulge in deep discussion of his morality or try
Harsha Swamy
Jul 29, 2016 Harsha Swamy rated it really liked it
My days in the Underworld is a memoir by Agni Sreedhar, translated from his famous Kannada book 'Dadagiriya Dinagalu'. Sreedhar is unapologetic in his approach to the events that shaped his life. The book is an engaging read and a must for those who would like to understand the 80's, the decade that shaped current Karnataka politics. Those were the times when Bangalore was known as a pensioners paradise . Jayaraj, Kotwal , Koli fayaz were ruthless thugs who controlled different parts of ...more
Joseph
Sep 27, 2014 Joseph rated it liked it
Interesting book. Not my usual thing, but a coworker recommended it and it seemed interesting enough.

It was really different from what I was expecting though. Sreedhar is a BAMF, going through Bangalore kicking ass and taking names (by extorting gay men, running an oil business, and other such things), but is scared of guns. From my perspective, there's a vaguely innocent quality to all of this, watching people in the book freak out over guns and alcohol, even after they hacked to pieces a huge
The Tales Pensieve
Aug 30, 2016 The Tales Pensieve rated it really liked it
what really worked for me was the honest and earthy narrative style, the pace of narration, and for most part the ability to keep the vantage points stable. What didn’t work for me was Sreedhar’s reluctance to cover his dark side, the one that made him become a ruffian in the first place. Insightful, well paced, and in the category of real life stories that work well as fiction.
Full review at: http://thetalespensieve.com/2016/03/m...
Viju
Dec 14, 2014 Viju rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, read-in-2014
A very very engrossing read. The fact that a lot of the locations in the narration are places that are within a two kilometer radius of where I live or are places that I frequent, this despite being something about the underworld was very relatable. I loved the narration style and the way the book was demarcated into sections.
Dinkar Sitaram
Jan 25, 2014 Dinkar Sitaram rated it really liked it
The good: detailed description of how the author became a leading underworld figure. The bad: never goes beyond a journalistic level. We never understand why the author was so ready to resort to violence in many incidents where other people would have filed a police complaint. Winner of a Karnataka Sahitya Parishad Award.
Guru
Oct 20, 2015 Guru rated it it was ok
As an account of the author's adventures in Bangalore's underworld - this has all the colorful characters one could expect, complete with colorful names. The narration is completely arbitrary and most parts are kind of pointless. Strictly for Bangaloreans.
Sandeep
Sep 04, 2015 Sandeep rated it really liked it
An essential guide to anyone who would want to know and understand the runnings and players of the Bangalore underworld in the 70s and 80s. Well written and the insider angle is definitely helps
Jairam Mohan
Jairam Mohan rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Sneh
Sneh rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Abhijeet
Abhijeet rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
Shailesh
Shailesh rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Prashanth
Prashanth rated it it was ok
Nayan
Nayan rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Anoop Gururaj
Anoop Gururaj rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2015
Nita
Nita rated it liked it
May 10, 2015
Abhishek
Abhishek rated it liked it
Praveen Ashok
Praveen Ashok rated it really liked it
Sandeep
Sandeep rated it really liked it
Suraj Reddy
Suraj Reddy rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Jeevan Jayaram
Jeevan Jayaram rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Sougata Das
Sougata Das rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Saurabh Kumar
Saurabh Kumar rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
shezan
shezan rated it really liked it
Mohan Ram
Mohan Ram rated it liked it
rajesh bansal
rajesh bansal rated it really liked it
Praveena D.M.
Praveena D.M. rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Jordan Gabriel
Jordan Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
  • The Masnavi: Book One
  • God's Bankers: A History of Money and Power at the Vatican
  • Mafia Queens Of Mumbai:  Stories Of Women From The Ganglands
  • Rahul Dravid: Timeless Steel
  • Kurukshetra (Aryavarta Chronicles, #3)
  • Schrödinger's Cat Trilogy
  • Patriots and Partisans
  • This Divided Island: Stories from the Sri Lankan War
  • Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming
  • Rise of Kali: Duryodhana's Mahabharata (Epic of the Kaurava Clan #2)
  • Incarnations: India in 50 Lives
  • A Shot At History: My Obsessive Journey to Olympic Gold
  • India Shastra: Reflections on the Nation in Our Time
  • Thirty-One Nil: The Amazing Story of World Cup Qualification
  • India's Bismarck-Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel

“Usually I don’t disclose who my friends are, or talk about the places where I have travelled or am going to travel.” 0 likes
“Cold-blooded criminals began to look helpless, and the line between the two worlds—under and ‘over’— became thin.” 0 likes