Start by marking “Pucked” as Want to Read:

Release day- February 10th, 2015

Pucked

Does life get in the way of love or does love get in the way of life?

Riley Silk, captain of the Warrior’s Ice Hockey team at Dalesburg High, doesn’t think life can be lived if love is present. If there’s two things in life he knows to be true, it’s that love causes pain and hockey is his ticket to a better life. He’s worked hard to mai
Published (first published February 8th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Pucked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pucked

Rae King
Feb 10, 2015 Rae King rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review

I am still reeling from this powerful novel that dealt with some heavy issues.

The heaviest being parental alienation. Parental alienation is defined as a form of emotional child abuse where one parent vilifies or belittles the other parent to the child to plant a seed of distrust or hatred toward the parent. Its intent is to destroy the present and future relationship between the child and the alienated parent.

This book opened me up two very
Priya Kanaparti
Jan 27, 2015 Priya Kanaparti rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this little gem of a book! It address a serious topic teenagers and even adults fall victims too, yet Rachel keeps the story light hearted and filled with emotions between two best friends that face the effects of parent alienation and come out stronger than before!

This book is pure YA at its heart with a little of romance added to it! I'd highly recommend this book to ANY that enjoys YA fiction, best friend to lovers stories :)

Dusti Dasilva
Feb 10, 2015 Dusti Dasilva rated it it was amazing
I believe my favorite quote of this whole book would have to be:

"Life is like the weather. Rain, like our emotions, builds up along the streets of our hearts softening the earth of our souls, creating mud. Though messy, mud is the glue of our decisions. It cements our personal changes. Its not permanent, because when it rains again, you'll need to restructure, rebuild, change, and just our decisions in life, nothing lasts forever."

How Rachel hit that on the nose I have no idea. To me this paragr
Alicia
Dec 07, 2016 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Audrey and Riley are best friends who both secretly both want more, but Riley's parents divorce and the awful chain of events that it sets off just won't allow him to believe in love. Audrey, on the other hand comes from a very loving and stable home. She tries to always be there for Riley even though he keeps freezing her out. When Riley finds out that things aren't always what they seem will he be able to open his heart and mind to the possibility of love? I loved this book for so many ...more
Charlotte Isaac
Nov 18, 2016 Charlotte Isaac rated it it was amazing
Wow, I love books about hockey players and this didn't disappoint. It was totally different to all the others. The subjects it brought up really was dealt with very well and you couldn't help but want the best for them all.
I loved Riley, even though he was dealing with a lot at home and himself, he didn't give up on his dreams and he was always there for his sister Hannah. He wouldn't give up or break any promises.
I loved Audrey, she stood by her best friend Riley even though he made it hard for
Marsha
Dec 04, 2016 Marsha rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of a challenge for Quirky Blind Date with a Book. This is my first book by Rachel Walter, and my first YA book in a while. I forget how much I love them!
Audrey and Riley are best friends. The book takes us on an emotional journey over a couple years of their life.. there were a couple times where my heart was racing and my breaths were short. I loved watching their relationship evolve over the years!
There is a HEA, but I want more about Riley and Audrey! This was my firs
megan wykle
Dec 01, 2016 megan wykle rated it really liked it
Riley and Audrey have an amazing friendship. They are always there for each. Yet, they both have feelings that they've never acted on..
This story deals with some sensitive issues like domestic violence and child abuse.
Touching storyline with amazingly written characters. It was a great read.
I voluntarily reviewed this book and was not compensated in any way.
Samantha Schafer
Nov 25, 2016 Samantha Schafer rated it really liked it
Shelves: blind-date
This book was cute, easy read.

the main characters were in high school. It was hard for me to relate to them but the message of this story was good! A hard and real topic to write about.

I read for a blind date with a book group online
Tamara
Dec 01, 2016 Tamara rated it it was amazing
This is not a book I would normally read but I'm glad I did. I loved the characters and the writing and will be giving this to my teenage daughter to read because it was so good.
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Aug 14, 2016 Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon rated it really liked it

**** 4 Cranky Stars ****

This YA book packs a real punch. If you enjoy YA-coming of age stories, I highly recommend this one.

It c
Kat Silver
Feb 09, 2015 Kat Silver rated it it was amazing
“You are never alone.”
- Rachel Walter, author of Pucked.

Recently I read Pucked, a contemporary romance novel outlining issues that are often misunderstood or that we are oblivious to.

Author Rachel Walter opens our eyes to an interesting, gut wrenching problem that takes place in most families around the world.

Parental Alienation.

If you’re like I was a few hours ago you have no idea what Parental Alienation is but, don't worry I will explain it.
Parental Alienation is a form of emotional child a
Allura  Teacups&Bookends Blog
Feb 10, 2015 Allura Teacups&Bookends Blog rated it really liked it
Pucked dealt with a really important and often overlooked issue in many families all over the world: Parental Alienation. Parental Alienation is a form of emotional abuse, where one parent seeks to alienate the other parent by damaging that parent’s relationship with their child.

Pucked is told from dual-POV between Riley and Audrey. Riley and Audrey have been best friends since they were children but things start to become rocky between them. Riley starts withdrawing from their friendship, beco
Sara Strand
Feb 11, 2015 Sara Strand rated it really liked it
Definitely a YA novel with it's writing style and story line, Pucked is the story of Audrey and Riley. Audrey basically has the all-American family with her happily married parents and gaggle of brothers. Riley is her best friend and he comes from a highly dysfunctional home. His parents are divorced, he doesn't know where his dad is, his mother is a hot mess and is dating an abusive alcoholic, and Riley finds himself as primary caregiver to his six year old sister. Riley is basically in love ...more
Eva
This book was not bad, but to clarify 3 stars means that I liked it and I did, but I did not really like it. There was nothing obviously wrong, I really liked the characters and it addressed the issue of Parental Alienation well. But I was not grabbed by it, not moved or enthralled in the story. To be honest, I thought the book was a bit long, and things moved a bit slowly. For reads of this type, if it is not extremely captivating I find it hard to maintain concentration and stay involved when ...more
Christina
Oct 10, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing
Rachel Walter has scored with her new book Pucked. See what I did there? Ya I know. But seriously you must read this book! Not only are the character captivating, but the message to help teens in the same situation is so powerful! Riley's story will pull you in and his friendship with Audrey is one that you feel deep within. I won't go much into the story because I feel it's one you should experience for yourself. The dynamic of all the characters blends well in a story that steals you for hours ...more
Phyllis
I think that the author did a great job of dealing with parental alienation and abuse without making the book dark and dismal. It was handled very delicately and appropriately.

My rating would have been higher, but there was too much crudeness in the book, especially in the way the hockey players talk about Audrey. Yeah, I know that is probably realistic, but it doesn't mean I like reading it. :-)
Danielle Sibarium
Feb 12, 2015 Danielle Sibarium rated it it was amazing
Pucked is a beautifully written, heartfelt, touching story of love, pain and strength. It’s a look into the life of Riley, a boy from a broken home that shows things aren’t always the way they seem. Sometimes the people we trust to love and protect us the most, don’t always have our best interest at heart.
Maggie Douglas
Maggie Douglas rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Tomris Zand
Tomris Zand rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Dani Morales
Dani Morales rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2015
Anika Bates
Anika Bates rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Danette
Danette rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Deborah Zand
Deborah Zand rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Sharon Ryan
Sharon Ryan rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Edith Dunning
when I got this book as part of a blind date with a book group I wasn't expecting to really get into a book about a high school hockey player but was pleasantly surprised. The story is of 2 friends with different home lives,she has a loving family and he has a broken home with an abusive and negligent mom where he learned love only gets you hurt,can they find their way together or will his past keep them apart? You must read this to find out.
Dana Gugliuzza
Dana Gugliuzza rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2016
Megan Mahanes
Megan Mahanes rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2015
Lucia
Lucia marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Cili
Cili marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Sitahiri
Sitahiri marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Rachel Walter
Apr 02, 2015 Rachel Walter added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Steph Parks
Steph Parks marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Leah
Leah added it
Jan 26, 2015
Amie
Amie marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Alannah
Alannah marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Lala
Lala marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Leigh W.
Leigh W. marked it as to-read
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sabreena Smith
Sabreena Smith marked it as to-read
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Jonae
Jonae marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Anne-Sophie
Anne-Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Malaika
Malaika marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Karlijn
Karlijn marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Rachel Walter is a wife and mother first and a coffee-addicted, chuck-wearing, hockey-watching, snark-spewing author second. She primarily writes Young Adult, but enjoys challenging herself in other genres, like Adult Contemporary. In 2012, Rachel began writing her first novel, True Connection, which she published in 2013. True Connection was re-released in 2014 as part of a boxed set, Pandora, ...more
More about Rachel Walter...