Start by marking “Latimer's Law” as Want to Read:
Latimer's Law

Latimer's Law

THE PROMISE OF A NEW FUTURE AWAITS ONE COUPLE IN MEL STERLING'S STUNNING DEBUT NOVEL

Stealing a pickup truck, newly widowed Abby McMurray hopes to escape her abusive brother-in-law. But the vehicle's owner and his attack dog halt her plans. She knows she's made a terrible mistake. Yet there's something tender about the stranger that makes her feel safe.

K-9 deputy Cade Latim
Published May 6th 2014 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Latimer's Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Latimer's Law

Jane Stewart
Sep 25, 2014 Jane Stewart rated it liked it
2 stars. Good story but parts were formulaic and contrived, plus stupidity.

Abused woman runs away and falls in love with someone else. Abuser is searching for her. I enjoyed some of it, but parts annoyed me.

WHAT I LIKED:
Shauni’s review said it really well: “While the romance takes place in too short of a time period for me, Mel Sterling does a fabulous job explaining how abuse happens. That an abuser slowly undermines the self esteem of his/her victim and over time destroys so much of them, oft
Susan
Emotional debut book that started with a bang and didn't let up throughout the book. It begins with Abby impulsively stealing Cade's truck, trying to escape her brother-in-law. She's knows it was the wrong thing to do, but she was desperate. Finding Cade and his police dog in the back when she stopped increased her hopelessness. Cade was furious at first, but once he calms down and talks to her he goes into protector mode.

Abby has gone through so much. When her husband died she was devastated a
Shauni
Originally reviewed for Tea and Book

I liked this book, I really did but sometimes contemporary books defy the imagination more than PNR. Latimer's Law takes place over a three day period and that just defies realism for me. That being said, Latimer's Law is a really good read. Mel Sterling takes the impossible and makes it probable...

Widow Abby McMurray is desperate. The kind of desperation that causes people to do the unthinkable. With a short window of time and never knowing how her brother i
Amelia
May 02, 2014 Amelia rated it really liked it
Men who have bad intentions in suspense stories come from varied backgrounds and have wide-ranging personalities. They are regularly even unidentified until almost the last scene. However, the villainous character is revealed in the first story by Mel Sterling, and he seems to be leading a normal life. But sometimes when no one else is around, his wicked nature cannot be controlled. How everything will ultimately end keeps the suspense in LATIMER’S LAW growing until the nerve-racking conclusion. ...more
Lina (From the Verge)
I first read Sterling's manuscript for this book during Harlequin's So You Think You Can Write 2013 competition. I was completely mesmerized by Abby's story and Cade's blue eyes (and yes, loyal furry Mort). A few weeks ago I saw that this was finally a full long book. Thus with lots of enthusiasm I re-visited this story; and let me tell you: it's as good as ever.

This is a neatly emotionally wrapped story about resilience, self esteem and love in the mist of domestic abuse. It will certainly dr
Monica Cardoza
Oct 03, 2014 Monica Cardoza rated it really liked it
A woman that has been living in hell since her brother-in-law took over her life. Why couldn’t she leave him when he started controlling her, physically abusing her?

This was a fast paced story that hit my heart. I could not believe that Abby was in this abusive relationship for such a long time. Well this really wasn’t a relationship he took advantage of a grieving woman, his own sister-in-law. What started as nice phone calls to see how she was doing became something that made her run. I could
Pam
Nov 11, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
Latimer’s Law is by Mel Sterling. It is a romantic suspense. It is a good book but I had a hard time getting it to keep my interest. The characters are well developed and the plot is good. It deals with spousal abuse and second chances.
Newly widowed Abby McMurray runs away. She and her husband had started keeping special need adults during the day for their friends. The business was slow in growing a profit due to Abby’s kind heart. However, Gary had died and his brother Marsh had come to help
Larena
May 06, 2014 Larena rated it really liked it
Contemporary, Romance, Florida

Abby McMurray is a new widow that is desperate to escape her abusive brother-in-law and that desperation has led her to steal a pickup truck. Unfortunately the truck’s owner and his attack dog halt her plans. Abby knows she has made a horrible mistake. What she didn’t expect was how this stranger has something tender about him that makes her feel safe for the first time in a very long time.

Cade Latimer is a K-9 deputy that knows there is something more to Abby and t
Ally
Feb 24, 2014 Ally rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, netgalley, 2014
I've mixed feelings about Latimer's Law. The author Ms Sterling writes at the beginning of the book that one day she saw an empty car sitting in a parking lot with the keys in the ignition and the engine running and it made her wonder what would drive a woman to steal a car and vanish?

A really great idea and to be honest I enjoyed most of the storyline and thought Latimer's Law had a lot of potential but I felt that at times I couldn't connect very well to Abby and while I wanted to feel sympat
Rhonda
Feb 12, 2014 Rhonda rated it liked it
3 STARS

I liked the storyline, the characters, the humor
I did not believe the character of Abby's after being abused by someone she trusts would sleep with a stranger she just met. I would think she would have more hang ups than that.

Abby was a widow. She was at a low point. Her brother-in-law was helping her to cope but the situation turned into abuse fast. When she saw a truck running at grocery store Abby decided to get away from everything and hopped in the truck and left.

Deputy Cade Latimer
Sonya Heaney
Originally posted HERE .

I wasn’t all that sure about the premise of this one at first, but I’d promised myself I’d read more suspense this year, and it turned out to be one of the best category romances I’ve read in a long time.

We have an abused heroine who sees a car with the engine running, sees an opportunity, and makes her attempt to escape her life. We have a badly (physically) scarred police officer hero who she doesn’t realise witnessed the whole thing. And then he sees she’s covered in
Ellen Parker
Aug 25, 2014 Ellen Parker rated it it was amazing
The three most dramatic days in Abby McMurray’s life begin when she commits a spur-of-the-moment crime. She drives off in the truck left open and running outside a convenience store not aware of the man and dog in the back.
Deputy Cade Latimer and his K-9 partner, Mort, give Abby the surprise of her life when she stops in a remote campground. It only takes moments to establish she’s not in physical danger. But Cade has a way of asking questions and getting her to think about things she’d like to
Bookbeauty
Apr 03, 2014 Bookbeauty rated it really liked it
*** I have received an ARC via NetGalley ***

Abby is on the run from her abusive brother in law and Cade has his own demons to overcome - a police investigation gone wrong.
When Abby steals a car, she gets stopped by Cade (and his dog, I insta-loved the book when dog appeared ;) one of my weaknesses!) but instead of turning her in, Cade decides to protect her.

"Latimer's Law" was a great romantic suspense, not much of a mystery, since the villain is already known, but reading how Abby opened up to
N. Kuhn
Mar 20, 2014 N. Kuhn rated it really liked it
This was actually a really well written story. I enjoyed seeing the changes emerge as Abby became her own woman again. The fact that she sees Cade for who he really is and not for his scars was endearing. This truly was a good read! The sweetness of their romance was a little quick for me, but it is in most books anyways, so it didn't hinder reading it. If you're looking for some suspense and something deep, grab this book.
Melody
May 18, 2014 Melody rated it really liked it
Note: I don't like romance stories. That being said, the only reason I didn't give this book a 5 star rating is the previous note. It's well written, I could relate to the characters, it kept up a good pace and the suspense kept me reading. I did skim the 'smut' pages, but even that was very relevant to what was happening. I have already recommended it to some of my friends. Enjoy!
Dianecammer
May 25, 2014 Dianecammer rated it really liked it
Haven't read a Harlequin in a long time and was quite surprised at the high level of writing - engaging, descriptive details but not overly so, flesh & blood main characters and the issue of domestic abuse, all wrapped up in a romantic suspense.
Lisa
Apr 25, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
Loved it!!
I wanted to go smack Marsh myself.
Then I wish she would have shot him.
And then Cade to shoot him too!!!

I had to finish it once I started it. It was intriguing and well written.
I will go look for more of your books.
Bonnie
Dec 02, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Latimer's Law by Mel Sterling was a excellent Romantic Suspense. It held my interest from the beginning. A woman who was abused by her dead husbands brother. A deputy who has a scared face. Both their stories were very touching. A must read book.
Harlequin Books
received 4 stars @ RT Book Reviews
Chelsea Roque
May 07, 2014 Chelsea Roque rated it liked it
Insta-love drives me bonkers. It was a good story but the timespan was too hard to buy into. I do like the treatment of abuse. I'm just disappointed that it seemed to be negated by insta-love.
Donna
Sep 08, 2014 Donna rated it it was ok
Dnf
Liz Mckernan
Sep 11, 2016 Liz Mckernan rated it it was amazing
This book was good
laura Kashner
laura Kashner rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2014
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Lia
Lia rated it liked it
May 01, 2014
Kristen Lewendon
Kristen Lewendon rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it it was ok
May 30, 2016
Helen Clark
Helen Clark rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2017
Kassandra
Kassandra rated it liked it
May 29, 2017
Ashley Jett
Ashley Jett rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2014