Start by marking “How to Stay Alive in the Woods: A Complete Guide to Food, Shelter and Self-Preservation Anywhere” as Want to Read:

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  513 ratings  ·  48 reviews
HOW TO STAY ALIVE IN THE WOODS is a practical, readable-and potentially indispensable-manual for anyone venturing into the great outdoors. Broken down into four essential sections, Sustenance, Warmth, Orientation and Safety, this enlightening guide reveals how to catch game without a gun, what plants to eat (full-color illustrations of these make identification simple), ho ...more
Published November 1st 2001 by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about How to Stay Alive in the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Stay Alive in the Woods

Dave
A classic survival book by a skilled woodsman, but the main charm of the book for me is the wacky, roundabout syntax. Like this example about surviving on beavers: "If you have a gun and enough time at your disposal to wait for a sure shot, an often productive campaign is to steal to a concealed vantage on the downward side of a beaver pond."
Will Marshall
I have owned a copy of this book since I was about 12 years old, and have read it cover-to-cover countless times. How to Stay Alive in the Woods is perhaps on of the most comprehensive and best-explained survival books available. The book was obviously written in a different age, which adds a certain charm - and some decidedly non-p.c. moments - to the narration.

If you spend any significant amount of time camping away from the daily conveniences of modern society, if you are planning a trip into
Martin Gibbs
My dad left me this book when he passed and as I read it, I realize how he pulled off all of those wonderful survival skills when we were canoeing deep in Canada.

This book is wonderful, the advice is valid and it works. I have a lot of Angier's other books and they are just as good; this man knows his stuff and knows how to survive without cell phones, ipads, or electricity.

My copy has a ton of scribbled notes from dad, which verify and confirm that Angier knew what he was talking about.
Jen
Better than the Bible for a sense of security and cure for insomnia. Perfect present for all those counting the days until Doomsday.
Noah Green
I found this at the Goodwill recently. I am learning much about skinning frogs and porcupines for sustenance.
Deke
I enjoyed it, largely because the writing is unintentionally hilarious. I picked it up never having been a boy scout, hoping to learn something about fashioning a bivouac or orienteering, which I did, but my greatest joy came from reading the unnecessarily complex sentences that scream "I'm not just a crazy guy living in a cabin in the woods!"

Example, by no means atypical: "But it was because of this very characteristic, the fact that acids released by such stimuli as prolonged fatigue and frig
Micheal
As the title suggests, this book contains a vast amount of survival information for anyone planning a wilderness excursion in North America. The prose is mostly dry with few anecdotal passages, but the result is a dense collection of survival tactics and strategy. A paperback edition would make a practical addition to your wilderness outfit—so long as it was contained in a waterproof vessel of some sort. The recently rereleased hardbound edition is beautifully designed and looks handsome on a sh ...more
Pat Gibbons
this book saved my life at least three times
Jim Morrison
Looks like it was written or at least copyrighted in 1956. That explains why the material is so dated. Of course some survival techniques are timeless, but equipment available certainly has changed. No index. Needs to be revised and updated. I was disappointed.
Nancy
Learn many things in this survival guide even if you don't plan on spending time surviving alone in the woods. It presents a very diverse range of topics and makes things simple to understand and learn.
711Nathan
I really like this book so far.It really has everything you need to know about wilderness survival.I also al the pictures explaining things, I've noticed in most survival manuals that the pictures are very small and hard to understand.The writing is also good and i especially like the rubberized cover.This book is a must read for any person interested in survival, It has everything you would need to know.I would give this book five stars!!!
Stephen
This is an EXCELLENT how to book for wilderness survival. It has lots of pictures and diagrams. The illustrations are well done and show exactly what you need to know. It is great for adults or kids who want to learn.
Patrick
Dated, but I enjoyed learning about his experiences and how he wrote about them.
Clay Davis
I liked this book. With an original publication date of 1956 some of the information was dated and the language has that dated overly formal tone. Despite that, it is better than rotting your mind with an episode of Bear Grylls not to mention any of the crazies riding his coattails. Sort through the "old-school" and note the timeless.

This book was a gift and overall I say "thank you".
Warren
Mar 17, 2008 Warren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Warren by: Joel
This book could save your life if you were stranded in the wilderness. It's a clear-cut, well written book with good diagrams and drawings that clearly show you how to use what's available to survive. The pages are nice, thick stock, and the cover is even rubberized to prevent the book from getting wet! I highly reccommend this to anyone.
Stan Bartkus
Jul 10, 2015 Stan Bartkus is currently reading it
I'm treating this as a read & do.
I take this book, once a month, for a walk into the woods/fields around a wilderness resort.
Last month's project was to find & eat Fig 7/Purslane, and Fig 8/Chickory. Chickory is a tasty version of Endive when boiled twice and served with butter, salt & pepper. Yum.

Frances
A lot of useful information about what to eat and where to find it if you should be lost in the North American woods. The best part about it is the 1950's prose, where Bradford Angier sounds like he came from the movie True Grit (2010). I liked to imagine that the Bear Man was narrating the whole book.
Heidi
Well lets be honest i haven't read the whole thing but i'll be bringing it with me when the you know what goes down! At which time i'm sure I will be reading the rest. And hey it's got a rubber cover so it's water proof. This guy thinks of everything.
Vincent
Loads of useful information broken down into accessible sections: Food, Shelter, Orientation, Safety, etc. Also, many diagrams and drawings showing how to build or do lifesaving activities. A handy book to store with your camping gear, just in case.
Andy Weston
Sep 17, 2007 Andy Weston rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mountain people
Read very many times between 1989 and now. Absolutely fantastic stuff. The original bushcraft, and a must in any mountain person's library. My favourite is either how to make sunglasses from bark, or how a vegetarian can enjoy a fresh roadkill.
Robert Lewter
I have loved this book since I was 12. This is probably the best wilderness survival book ever written. Bradford Angier was prepping before it was a fad. I even gave my daughter a copy, because, God help us, I fear she will need it.
Michael  Baggetta
I read this book when I was around 16 years old and loved it! I did a-lot of camping in those days!This book contains many things which will save your life if you are lost or stranded in the forest!
Jonathan
Explores a lot of good ideas, but you get the feeling from reading it that a lot of what is suggested isn't practical in the real-world sense. It's a good place to start though.
Jennyo
Glad I found this one in the back seat of my friends car. What a read! Very useful and interesting. You never know when you'll find yourself without a grocery store...
Jason
Mar 16, 2007 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hikers
No reviews on this? It is a classic. Do yourself a favor and buy a copy before it goes out of print. Especially if you plan on being naked and starving in the Rockies!
Suzanne
I know now how to do everything from taking down a moose and dressing it to building a fortress in the woods. Bear Grylls eat your heart out.
Teri Temme
I bought this book at Target in October 2002 - I am glad I finally read it. Very interesting. Not sure I would survive - but maybe ;)
Lance
uh, the name says it all. Angier though, is surprisingly peotic at junctures. Walden still casts a powerful spell, I suppose.
Tracy Friend
Oct 08, 2011 Tracy Friend rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Folks who have never spent the night in the woods, lol.
Shelves: owned
Informative, but remedial for those that have grown up in rural areas and camped out in the real sense of it.
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes
  • US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
  • Primitive Wilderness Living and Survival Skills
  • Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
  • Country Wisdom & Know-How: A Practical Guide to Living off the Land
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Where There Is No Dentist
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • Survive!: Essential Skills and Tactics to Get You Out of Anywhere - Alive
One Acre & Security: How to Live Off the Earth Without Ruining It At Home in the Woods: Living the Life of Thoreau Today Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants Feasting Free on Wild Edibles Basic Wilderness Survival Skills