Start by marking “Little Book of Book Making: Timeless Techniques and Fresh Ideas for Beautiful Handmade Books” as Want to Read:

Making books by hand has never been cooler, with this inspiring guide to 30 top bookmakers working today, plus 21 tutorials for essential techniques to make your own books.

Crafters, artists, writers, and book lovers can't resist a beautifully handbound book. Packed with wonderfully eclectic examples, this book explores the intriguing creative possibilities of bookmaking as
Published August 12th 2014 by Potter Craft (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Little Book of Book Making, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Book of Book Making

Chris
Probably the most interesting parts of the book were the sections featuring work by book binders from around the world. The actual book binding instructions were unfortunately not the most clear or detailed. But there were a few great tidbits, like a ratio for making cornstarch paste instead of wheat paste (very useful for we celiacs).
Michelle Hankes
Sep 01, 2014 Michelle Hankes rated it it was amazing
This fun little find came to me via Blogging for Books and it was a little surprise. I picked it because I love books, I love writing, and I love the idea of making books. Always been sort of fascinated by the concept of creating a book from start to finish, including the pages, the binding, the actual book. Clearly, I am not the only one.

Charlotte Rivers' tome creates a world of bookmaking artists, designers, and hobbyists who desire the same thing: to create a book from start to finish. It's a
Heather
Aug 19, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
I originally thought this would be a really fun book for Munchkin as she loves the idea of making her own books. What I didn’t realize was how fun this book was going to be for me to browse. The first four chapters are filled with amazingly creative works of art in the form of books. I have no idea where these people come up with the ideas, but they are just way too cool. They use all different mediums to create the books. There are even books that look like slices of cake. Very cool.

I liked how
Sheila
Dec 30, 2014 Sheila rated it really liked it
I am an avid scrabbooker, I love smashbooks, I have sketchbooks, nature journals and I keep a daily journal so I was confident that the Little Book of Book Making would be very beneficial to me in all my artistic endeavors and I was right!

This "little book" comes in a convenient size, 7.5 x 7.5 inches, but don't let the size fool you. Within it's pages it is packed full of beautiful pictures and instruction. It has all the information you need to start making your own books! Be prepared to me mo
Julia Milner
A beautiful book filled with inspiring projects, but not terribly helpful if you actually want to learn how to make handmade books.
Jamie Crosby
Aug 28, 2014 Jamie Crosby rated it it was amazing
A book of inspiration for all those with creative minds. This book shows that there is more to a book than a normal layout. The author spends 107 or more pages showing different folding of the signature papers making these books more works of art as well as functional books. There is information for MANY different book designers all over the world giving the reader many forms of inspiration.

This book isn't just about the history or how creative one can be with book making but the author also giv
Dena (Batch of Books)
Sep 22, 2014 Dena (Batch of Books) rated it really liked it
This is a great book for book lovers! If you love books, especially hand made books, you should get your hands on this one. Most of the book is dedicated to showcasing books that have been made by artists all over the world. I was amazed by most of the books. They were gorgeous! I wish that there had been instructions spread throughout the book, but all the techniques were clumped together at the back.

The instructions were easy to understand and follow. The supplies wouldn't be too difficult to
Liz
Nov 11, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
I received this book from Blogging for Books for this honest review.
R: Recommended (This is at the top of the pile.)
Give it Time (It'll grow on you.)
Pros:
• Easy to read layout with informational text and photographic examples
• Multiple examples from all over the world
• Great hands-on, step-by-step projects
• Ability to lay the book flat while working on your projects
• Written without too much unexplained jargon
Cons:
• The title led me to believe the book would focus more on making your own project
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I love the art of book making and book binding. It was my favorite college class in my fine arts major. The majority of this book showcases a handmade book from an individual artist or small press. The designs are creative and innovative and are accompanied by a few paragraphs from the artist describing the method used or thought behind the process. The photographs are small since the size of the book is about 7 inches square. The tutorials at the end of the book are brief and sometimes vague, ...more
Michelle Young
Oct 14, 2014 Michelle Young rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This book is about four-fifths inspiration and one-fifth instructional reference guide. The photos of handmade books offer beautiful examples of what one can create by following the tutorials in the back of the book. Even though the section dedicated to instruction is relatively slim, it's potent with illustrated step-by-step instructions. There's also a nice diagram showing the anatomy of a book, a guide to bookmaking tools and materials, a directory featuring the websites of the artist ...more
Kerry
Jan 05, 2015 Kerry rated it it was ok
I thought this book was going to be about actually making books, but it's more about different styles that are to help one find inspiration for their own designs. There is a small section at the back for doing the actual work and honestly the illustrations are not overly helpful. Perhaps someone who has a little more experience will find the inspiration that the book actually intends.
Kelli Jean
I enjoyed seeing the different styles and types of books that artists create. I look forward to keeping this book on my shelf (or in this case on my Kindle) to use as a reference on different folding and stitching techniques.
Sherri Osborn
Aug 13, 2014 Sherri Osborn rated it it was amazing
I was inspired simply paging through this book, so many amazing pictures and projects... Learn more about book making and then make your own!

Read my full review: http://aboutfamilycrafts.com/little-b...
David
Dec 11, 2014 David rated it really liked it
The 4 stars rating is really a guess. This is my quide for my winter hobby - bookmaking. This is the winter I try it. At the end I may revise the rating. It all depends of how well the directions are written, not how well I can follow them. ;)
Tracey
Oct 08, 2014 Tracey added it
Shelves: 2014
This is more for advanced bookbinders, featuring lots of creative examples from skilled artisans. I was hoping to find some quick and easy things to turn into kid/teen projects but oh well.
NancyS
Sep 23, 2014 NancyS rated it liked it
A nice little book - 1/2 instructions and 1/2 photos of artisans books. The book is okay, but don't expect anything you haven't seen a dozen times elsewhere if you have done any bookmaking at all.
Natalie
Jan 24, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
Very nice format and photo examples of craftspeople's work. The how-to section in the back is good, and is illustrated and diagrammed quite comprehensively.
Bahar
Bahar rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Barbred
Barbred rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Rainey
Mar 05, 2015 Rainey rated it really liked it
A concise, attractive introduction to book making and book making artists.
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
M
M rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Thu-Huong Nguyen
Thu-Huong Nguyen rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2015
carissa
carissa rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Lizzie
Lizzie rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Nora
Nora rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015