Start by marking “Katherine Mansfield's Selected Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Katherine Mansfield's Selected Short Stories

Katherine Mansfield's Selected Short Stories

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  14 reviews
[Contains 35 stories, plus correspondence and critical essays]

With the exception of the first four stories, all were written within a period of ten years. These stories, and the letters following, reflect the urgency of a writer who knew her time was limited. All but four of the texts of the stories reprinted here are versions that Mansfield herself revised or selected.

Published November 1st 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published April 28th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Katherine Mansfield's Selected Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katherine Mansfield's Selected Short Stories

Jul 18, 2007 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Aspiring women writers/ fans of women's lit
Shelves: alwaysreading
I'll tend to read a story from this book here and there. On a rainy night, I'll read one of the stories from this book. They're pretty short, but each one is very profound. I'll probably be reading it for a long time because I don't want it to end :).
Jacqui Miller
I love Mansfield's writing. She is insightful and uses beautiful, poetic prose. I'm not a big fan of short stories but Mansfield is very skilled at drawing you in quickly and at creating interesting and complex characters that stay with you. Particularly enjoyed Miss Brill, The Fly and Bliss.
Oh she is a fun writer.
Phillip Kay
A selection of 73 stories originally published in 1965 by Alfred A Knopf. Contains the amateurish "From a German Pension" stories, the great "Bliss", the two masterpieces which are surely novel fragments about her childhood, "Prelude" and "At the Bay", and the final work which contains many accomplished stories. About 12 good stories here in a career which was cut short before it really developed. No criticism I've noticed explores Mansfield's relation to Chekhov and many seem to credit Mansfiel ...more
Mansfield would have otherwise been off my radar if it wasn't for reading fellow New Zealander, Janet Frame's, work. (Apparently, Frame's mother was a maid for Mansfield's family.) The selected short stories are written very cleanly and have a distinct British, middle-class air. A good sense of loss and longing is captured throughout.
I'd have to agree with Mansfield speaking of her earliest work:

“I cannot have the German Pension republished under any circumstances. It is far too's not good enough”

The later stories, however, were much more enjoyable.
It was intriguing and some of the stories really captured my attention. I really enjoyed the way her writing was throughout all the stories.
Jan 26, 2012 Samara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Read a majority of stories for a class. Love how she's able to craft words, but left unsatisfied by most of the stories.
Nov 08, 2007 Nicole marked it as to-read
I couldn't see the TOC of this one on Amazon, but I imagine it has the stories we are interested in...
Aug 02, 2011 Jo added it
if you like short stories, katherine mansfield is the master
I especially love Prelude & At the Bay
still musing!
Clare Cannon
Jun 27, 2012 Clare Cannon marked it as one-day
Mercatornet 101 YA
Elisabetta Carpinelli
Elisabetta Carpinelli marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Anju Jolly
Anju Jolly is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2015
Jess marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Hannah is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
Qasimmajeedghauri marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Surayya marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Tiffany is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Leaping: Revelations & Epiphanies
  • The Complete Stories
  • The Complete Memoirs of George Sherston
  • Stories
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. F: The Twentieth Century & After
  • Mothers & Other Monsters: Stories
  • Don Juan in Hell
  • Winter Wheat
  • The Bridegroom Was a Dog
  • The Collected Short Stories
Kathleen Mansfield Murry was a prominent New Zealand modernist writer of short fiction who wrote under the pen name of Katherine Mansfield.

Katherine Mansfield is widely considered one of the best short story writers of her period. A number of her works, including "Miss Brill", "Prelude", "The Garden Party", "The Doll's House", and later works such as "The Fly", are frequently collected in short st
More about Katherine Mansfield...
The Garden Party and Other Stories The Collected Stories of Katherine Mansfield Stories Bliss & Other Stories Miss Brill

“There! it had come ― the moment ― the geste! And although I was so ready, it caught me; it tumbled me over; I was simply overwhelmed. And the physical feeling was so curious, so particular. It was as if all of me, except my head and arms, all of me that was under the table, had simply dissolved, melted, turned into water. Just my head remained and two stick of arms pressing on to the table. But, ah! the agony of that moment! How can I describe it? I didn’t think of anything. I didn’t even cry out to myself. Just for one moment I was not. I was Agony, Agony, Agony.
Then it passed, and the very second after I was thinking: "Good God! Am I capable of feeling as strongly as that? But I was absolutely unconscious! I hadn’t a phrase to meet it with! I was overcome! I was swept off my feet! I didn’t even try, in the dimmest way, to put it down!"
And up I puffed and puffed, blowing off finally with: "After all I must be first-rate. No second-rate mind could have experienced such an intensity of feeling so.. purely.”