Start by marking “Leaving Megalopolis” as Want to Read:
Leaving Megalopolis

Leaving Megalopolis

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  324 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
When the caped heroes of the world's safest city inexplicably all turn into homicidal lunatics, no one is safe.

The only rational thing to do is get the hell out of town. If only it were that easy...
Hardcover
Published 2013 by Painfully Normal Productions

To ask other readers questions about Leaving Megalopolis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaving Megalopolis

Sam Quixote
Jun 04, 2015 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
A North American city lies in devastation following a massive superhero battle – it’s Metropolis post-Man of Steel!

Mina, a cop with a secret, leads a group of survivors through the ruins of Megalopolis while avoiding the superheroes-gone-bad. They’ve gotta make it to the bridge out of the city to safety – but will they make it? And what’s turned all the heroes into crazed murderers anyway?

Gail Simone and Jim Calafiore’s short but pretty decent superhero-horror comic takes the same approach as Th
Alistair
Sep 22, 2015 Alistair rated it really liked it
I bought this after seeing it advertised as a successful start up and the preview and idea of the story caught my attention.

The best thing about this comic is the artwork. It gives so much character to the 'heroes' before they even start dialogue. They are drawn with such Intuition and they really deliver.

However, the heroes have no powers. The real heroes are the people trying to escape. No spoilers here, but the one thing volume 1 lacks is not enough character background. It starts from the o
Valerie
Nov 20, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This is the scariest book I've read this year.

I think we've all read/seen episodes where the good guys "go bad." It's a pretty standard trope. Super Sentai has an evil Blue arc just about every single season.

You have never seen the concept done in as brutally terrifying a manner as this. It's visceral and disturbing and sometimes hurts to turn the page. This book is about the things you love turning against you in ways you are incapable of actually imagining but Gail Simone is. It's honestly too
Mike
Nov 25, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it
I very much want to read more tales of the Megalopolis. This was one well put-together book, especially considering that Simone and Calafiore put this together themselves through Kickstarter.

I loved how they teased the horror of this post-insanity world - heroes gone stark-raving bejeebers. There were some obvious comparisons to The Boys and Crossed (both by Garth Ennis, who's a big favourite of mine), and yet this felt like it mined territory of the passers-by (not the loonies) but didn't spend
Ethan
Nov 22, 2013 Ethan rated it liked it
I backed this book as a project on kickstarter, and got my copy in the mail today. As soon as I go inside, I sat down, tore open the package, and read the entire thing cover to cover. It didn't take very long - I finished the entire book, plus the backup story, in about 30 minutes. So it's short - very short. And probably because of this, it seems to take a lot of storytelling shortcuts, leaning heavily on old tropes and well-worn themes that don't need to be fleshed out in any great detail. The ...more
***Dave Hill
Dec 27, 2013 ***Dave Hill rated it liked it
Shelves: illustrated
I didn't enjoy this Kickstarted tale as much as I wanted to (despite my appreciation for both creators) or expected to (because of same). In part, that's because the story is so short -- a thin volume that feels more like a children's illustrated book in thickness -- and in part because the territory is so familiar -- super-heroes gone maniacally homicidal. The reveal of how this comes about is more original, but also comes across as a bit of hand-waving.

Which is mostly okay, because the story i
David Caldwell
Nov 24, 2013 David Caldwell rated it really liked it
This graphic novel was funded through Kickstarter.

Megalopolis is the safest city anywhere. That is because it is the homebase for a bunch of superheroes. But when these superheroes face a threat in the form of a monster that rises up from the ground, They become twisted homicidal killers. The heroes are in constant pain and the only way to relieve it even temporarily is to kill normal humans. Killing other superhumans doesn't seem to satisfy them. The superheroes begin a deadly game of cat and m
Leilani
Feb 09, 2014 Leilani rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I backed the Kickstarter instantly even though the plot didn't appeal to me because I love Gail Simone, and my reading experience was pretty much what should be expected from that - the characters were surprisingly well-fleshed out for such a brief story, but the plot was everything I don't care to read in comics. I'm not a fan of grim and gritty. It had Its moments and the end wasn't bad, but ultimately I'm just not the target audience for this kind of story.
Alan
Nov 16, 2013 Alan rated it really liked it
Gail Simone and Jim Calafiore had a very good run on The Secret Six. They decided on a Kickstarter campaign to fund their new project, and out of the few Kickstarters that I have helped fund this is the best one yet.

Megalopolis is the safest city on the planet because of all the superheroes who live there. Until, an earthquake releases an entity and gases from underneath the Earth. The reader can determine for themselves exactly why the heroes become homicidal maniacs who hunt and kill for fun.
Bill Williams
Nov 19, 2013 Bill Williams rated it liked it
Kickstarted by fans, this original graphic novel is a survivor horror story with costumed heroes standing in for zombies. The narrative follows a band of survivors as they attempt to leave a generic city full of crazed costumed psychopaths.

As with most of these stories, the streets are bare except for the survivors and their enemies. There is a neighborhood association that kills people that play their music too loud. There are a few gleeful murders with bodies ripped apart by the costume-weari
Jim
Enjoyable read - but it was a bit dark. Apparently, this was a Kickstarter program first! That's pretty cool. Gail Simone always does good work. Apparently, I'm just rambling now. Anyway, recommended.
Eddie
Jan 15, 2016 Eddie rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
If you read anything from this team before you know it was well done. If they were going for depression that what I had when I finished. The city fell apart pretty fast, I might have too much faith in mankind, just thought more people would stand up.
Jennifer Lavoie
I am so glad I helped Kickstart this project. When I got the book in the mail I was thrilled. The story is fantastic, the art is beautiful, and the quality of the book itself is top of the line.

The story is dark and follows residents of Megalopolis as they try to flee from the city. After some sort of accident, all of the cities heroes have gone crazy and instead of helping the citizens, they're harming them.

I can't wait to read more of this series. It really is fantastic and engaging. I hope
Stanley
Apr 27, 2015 Stanley rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, comics, signed
After picking this one up at C2E2 and getting it signed by both Gail Simone and Jim Calafiore, I wanted to give it a read post haste. I knew the name and look were familiar and when I picked it up to read it, I remembered the glowing reviews I had read when looking for some good reads.

Leaving Megalopolis is the story of what happens when the heroes you have grown to love, that have sworn to protect you become bloodthirsty lunatics.

The story picks up in the middle of the action and we discover th
Rugg Ruggedo
Oct 15, 2014 Rugg Ruggedo rated it it was amazing
Gail Simone, in recent years, has become one of my favorite writers in comics. On the basis of her former work I picked this up with very little knowledge of what it was about, and by the time I reached the end of it, I had no regrets.
Super heros have turned on the population that they had been protecting, and the population has decided the best plan, in the face of that, is to run. This story follows a small group of those runners and the massively damaged city of Megalopolis. Almost at once th
Tiana Hanson
Jan 08, 2016 Tiana Hanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I've started a journey through the land of graphic novels and comic books (late, I know, but give me credit for going there at all), and my friend recommended this one to me while we were browsing together. She wouldn't tell me much about it besides its Kickstarter history and a little about the creative team. Trusting her as my sherpa, I got it and was not disappointed in the least.

Mina as the protagonist whose story is revealed over the course of the book is wildly compelling and heartbreaking
Tanabrus
Feb 24, 2014 Tanabrus rated it liked it
Shelves: fumetti
Questo volume l’avevo preso a settembre di due anni fa, finanziandolo tramite Kickstarter.
Di cosa si tratta? E’ un fumetto supereroistico horror scritto da Gail Simone e disegnato da Jim Calafiore, autoprodotto dai due.
Dopo una lunghissima gestazione è finalmente poi stato prodotto, e la mia copia è arrivata a fine 2013.Di cosa parla?

Siamo a Megalopolis, la città più sicura al mondo, protetta da schiere di supereroi mascherati.
Ma qualcosa è andato storto, gli eroi sono diventati tutti sadici omi
Gnimaerd
Jan 05, 2015 Gnimaerd rated it it was amazing
Leaving Megalopolis is probably now second only to Gail Simone's BOP stand out Death of Oracle as my favourite work of hers - a clear example of what awesome talent can achieve in the genre when not being constrained by the prescriptive tendencies of a mega publishing house like DC. Smart, subversive, brutal and completely absorbing - violent and bloody as hell without ever feeling gratuitous, it's also engaging and bleak without feeling like it lacks soul (a trap too many grimdark comics fall i ...more
Michael
Jan 15, 2014 Michael rated it liked it
I was one of the Kickstarter backers and had high expectations of this book. Unfortunately, it didn't deliver. The premise is interesting and tonally the mood is very much perfect. The characters are diverse, but a bit stereotypical, and I hated seeing yet another woman protagonist motivated by family violence. I know Simone can write a strong woman protagonist who doesn't need a tragic back story inflected with rape and abused women. Unfortunately the protagonist is the only character we really ...more
Mark Schlatter
Dec 14, 2014 Mark Schlatter rated it liked it
Think The Walking Dead, but the threat sin't zombies --- it's corrupted superheroes in a city where no civilians can escape. Gail Simone has always done dark well, so the execution here is quite good; we get a clear look at what it might be like to be terrorized by your former protectors. There's bits of plot hinting at a wider story, but the focus so far is survival. Our non-superhero heroine gets some flashbacks showing a horrible past that might just have prepared her for the times to come. I ...more
Cale
Sep 02, 2015 Cale rated it liked it
This was a very dark book - A city where the super heroes have gone psychotic and killed almost everyone. The story is an escape, as a small assortment of regular people try to get out of town. This has a lot of parallels to the Zombie genre, with as much of the conflict coming from other normal humans, and the super heroes are the looming threat. The characters are made fairly memorable, the humans at least. The action is quick and brutal when it comes, with more of the story being the tension ...more
Paul
Jan 21, 2014 Paul rated it it was ok
Nice art, but holy crap nothing happened in this book. oh well. maybe just not my thing...
James
Sep 20, 2014 James rated it really liked it
I hadn't heard about this Kickstarter-funded comic until it literally landed in my lap, and I gotta say, if they're making more, I'm investing! It's an absolutely chilling concept about what happens when something makes the heroes go bad. The storytelling is done from the point of view of the surviving humans and Gail Simone does a fantastic job of making their plight alarmingly real. Imagine The Walking Dead, but replace the zombies with bad superheroes and you've got an idea of what you'll get ...more
Andy 117
Jan 02, 2015 Andy 117 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-comic-hcs
Comic superstars Gail Simone and Jim Calafiore, fresh(ish) from their collaboration on the fan-favourite Secret Six, decided to make a book all on their own. With the internet magic that is the crowd-funding platform Kickstarter, and a legion of devoted fans with faith enough to lay down their own money to help make it happen, Simone and Calafiore successfully pitched Leaving Megalopolis - a dark tale of superheroes gone very, very bad.

The end result is a gorgeously illustrated and deftly writte
Ned Leffingwell
Oct 24, 2014 Ned Leffingwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy crap! This is the best graphic novel that I have read in a long time. The premise is that a strange event has taken place in a city full of superheroes. All of the supers go crazy and are hunting and killing the civilians. The story feels like reading the Walking Dead, but the zombies are the Justice League. I find this book scarier, because one can always outrun a zombie but could someone outrun the Flash? This book makes superheroes scary. Highly recommended for mature comic lovers.
Dovile
Jan 29, 2015 Dovile rated it really liked it
What happens when superheroes go evil? Find out in this not entirely traditional superhero graphic novel. Gail Simone is one of my top favorite comic writers and I wasn't disappointed. The art is good, not too pretty, so it suits the story. I especially loved the opening sequence.

Similar comics: Powers comics series by Michael Bendis; Ultra: Seven Days graphic novel by The Luna Brothers; Secret Six comics series by Gail Simone.
Shannon
Aug 18, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
Graphically violent post-apocolyptic comic with minority and female main characters! Normally, I'm not so much into the graphic violence. I did enjoy reading my brother's X-Men comics when we were younger, but somehow, I couldn't find myself in the cast by looks or motive. Here you see the best and worst of humanity with characters that left me wanting to know more of their back stories or future stories. I hope there's more.
Jon
Nov 27, 2013 Jon rated it liked it
I backed the Kickstarter for this book and was happy to see it arrive in the mail. The book has great production values and was a good read, but not great. The story centered on a group of non-powered characters attempting to escape from a city mostly cut off from the rest of the world by insane former superheroes. The (former) heroes were interesting and I would have loved to see more about them, but the story really wasn't built to allow for that, so instead the normals had to take center stag ...more
Desiree
Oct 01, 2015 Desiree rated it it was amazing
Omigosh! So good. I desperately want to read the next in the series, but it hasn't been written. Somebody give Simone a whole pile of money, lock out all the distractions, and make this happen. Superheroes going horribly bad? The only hope we have is ourselves? Not even Underdog would touch this mess.
Jordan Young
Mar 14, 2015 Jordan Young rated it really liked it
Solid start to a series I hope will run a few more volumes. I miss their run on Secret Six, and while not quite up to the par of that series, they had a lot of world building to do in limited pages. Mad respect for eschewing the major publishers and killing it on Kickstarter.
  • Love and Capes Vol. 1: Do You Want To Know A Secret?
  • Deadpool: The Ones With Deadpool
  • Princeless Volume 2: Get Over Yourself
  • Avengers Assemble: Science Bros
  • Starlight
  • The Hood, Vol. 1: Blood from Stones
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol 4: The Four Disciplines
  • Lazarus, Vol. 2: Lift
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 10: Club Kids
  • Letter 44 Volume 2: Redshift (Letter 44 #7-13)
  • Harbinger, Vol 2: Renegades
  • Empowered, Volume 2 (Empowered, #2)
  • Solo
  • Daredevil, Volume 6
  • Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)
  • Womanthology: Heroic
  • Monsters! and Other Stories
  • Velvet, Vol. 2: The Secret Lives of Dead Men
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".
More about Gail Simone...