Start by marking “Go to work and do your job. Care for your children. Pay your bills. Obey the law. Buy products.” as Want to Read:

Meet Mike. Mike wants to be a responsible human, but he's buried in student loans and job prospects are bleak in the down economy. What he needs is a well-paying job that provides health care. This is what leads Mike to accepting a job at NEOTAP, a government-run prison.

But NEOTAP is unlike any other prison. NEOTAP is a place where the employees are treated no better than
Published November 28th 2013 by Lazy Fascist Press

Be the first to ask a question about Go to work and do your job. Care for your children. Pay your bills. Obey the law. Buy products.

Mike Kleine
Jan 07, 2014 Mike Kleine rated it it was amazing
Probably, Noah Cicero's best work to date.

It's WAITING FOR GODOT meets the second season of the television series LOST meets DAVID LYNCH meets BLAIR WITCH PROJECT meets the book 1984 meets IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA meets the movie CUBE meets BRAVE NEW WORLD meets SVU meets ARCHER meets the book ANTHEM meets FIREFLY meets the play NO EXIT by Jean-Paul Sartre meets THE TRIAL by Franz Kafka meets the movie WHITE LIGHTNING meets the book THE POSSESSED meets LOCK UP.

It's worth spending your m
Jeremy Maddux
Apr 03, 2014 Jeremy Maddux rated it really liked it
This is a bedtime story for anarchists, libertarians and other politically unrested people right now in America.

Noah Cicero has a remarkable knack for laying bare all the stupid shit we have to put up with in modern America. He really stirred me up with this story.

Mike just wants to be treated with a modicum of respect. Health benefits. That's really not too much to ask, although most employers act like you're asking them to squeeze water from a stone. He goes to work for super corrupt private p
Michael Seidlinger
Nov 14, 2013 Michael Seidlinger rated it it was amazing
There is life, and there is making a living. All too often, the two don't seem to get along.

Pillar for pillar, a code of ethics works as well as an empty mantra: Words without meaning, words that stare right back at you from the page.
outis
May 21, 2014 outis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Such a dumb, blunt instrument for a disgruntled manifesto. The concept and thoughts driving this novel could have made for an interesting book, but this one wasn't it. It read throughout like a really bad junior high English assignment in its plot, its phrasing and its sophistication. Skip this one.
John Christy
Mar 11, 2014 John Christy rated it did not like it
noah cicero is AN IDIOT
Robert
Jun 12, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it
This is a strange book, and not easy to review. As I began it, I thought it would be a five-star winner. In the middle, I was completely unconvinced at the direction Cicero was taking. At the end, I began to suspect that the book was a many-layered onion of irony: pungent, intractable, angry, and pessimistic, perfectly content to masquerade as something simplistic without actually being so. I also think that most of the five-star and one-star reviews are taking the work more or less at face ...more
Tracy
Jan 21, 2014 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Why are you alive?

"They had taken her power as a human. They had locked her out of her own power. Her power was there since she was born but the government and the media did everything they could to divert her away from her own power. Her own primitive power of feeling and poetry." (143)

Noah clearly and beautifully fictionalizes all my anxieties regarding the modern world. You're not crazy if you don't want it.

The tone and character development was reminiscent of Steinbeck's In Dubious Battle. A
Matt
Dec 08, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
Read. Read in public. Only read this in public. Have some meaningful conversations on the cover and title alone.
Brian Alan Ellis
Jan 11, 2014 Brian Alan Ellis rated it really liked it
“I did another body count in the morning. Two more people had disappeared. I didn’t ask anyone where they went. I knew I would not get an answer. I didn’t know what I was doing at NEOTAP. The place seemed terrible to me.”

The latest novel by Noah Cicero locks you into the claustrophobic mind-fuck that is NEOTAP, a prison where the employees are just as screwed as the prisoners themselves. Protagonist Mike takes the job for its healthcare benefits, before realizing he has just given away whatever
Aaron
Like a bad dream

Greg Benham
Apr 13, 2014 Greg Benham rated it did not like it
Shelves: terrible, satire, politics
Moronic and awful. That's why you should always read the Kindle sample first.
Deni
May 18, 2015 Deni rated it did not like it
por dios qué mierda
Richard Kelly
I know as a writer the idea of planning a book seems soul crushing, but sometimes it is very much needed.

I want to say upfront that there is a lot to this book. I felt early on that it had potential to be amazing. In the end, I had a lot of complaints, but it is mostly because I felt it underdelivered. It isn’t a bad book though. I think it is still rather entertaining, but it is kind of riddled with issues.

First the story. It was an interesting story. Early on it was very intriguing. But, as t
Sally
Nov 10, 2016 Sally rated it did not like it
This is by far one of the worst books I have ever read.
I totally judged the book by it's cover. I read the back thinking it would be interesting like a modern version of 1984. NOPE! It sucked. Part one progressed slowly. Part two progressed so absurdly that I had to stop reading.
Fawzy
Jul 31, 2014 Fawzy rated it really liked it
Our generation is becoming self-aware of our slavery. Sam Pink with his short novel "Person" and now Noah Cicero with "Go to Work" are indications of a new generation of talented young writers carrying on the torch from Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates.
Western culture is a culture that easily enables mental slavery. Its institutions make it easy for man to enslave itself with "pipe dreams" inspiring him to chase cookie cutter happiness.
Good grades will lead to college, career, marriage, big
Jodie
Feb 25, 2016 Jodie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, this novel has really got me in a tizzy. I read this novel solely because it was described to me as "an Orwellian experience" and I seem to have learned my lesson. The writing was shabby and hard to follow and the author's attempted use of stream of consciousness writing was lost in the shambled story.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first part of the book but it feel as though when the second part came up, the author was rushing to finish and he didn't mind if he left plot holes unfilled. Almost
Aaron
Jan 08, 2015 Aaron rated it it was ok
I'm awkwardly at a loss for words. I am not sure what to say about this piece. I didn't like it, but it does make me think which I do like. It was as if Alex Jones wrote a novel based in the not-too-distant future where his velvet revolution failed, FEMA camps are a reality and violent revolution becomes necessary. I like the satire and condemnation of modern America and conspicuous consumption, but don't really like how it was laid out. From the title, to the story, to the writing style it just ...more
J K
Dec 10, 2014 J K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This strikingly questions the work-sleep-buy-stuff-repeat that society is based on. The end isn't entirely what you'd expect - a quick read but not necessarily easy. Raises serious questions, then tries to break you with sheer absurdity, in the vein of Kafka as written by Orwell. It winds up in a violent flurry of adrenaline and tears.

Besides, however seriously you want to take the message and the frustrations it highlights, the urine test scene and the telling-off afterwards is frickin' hilario
J.
Mar 09, 2014 J. rated it it was amazing
Off-the-charts level good. As crazy as the things that go on in this novel sound, they are dead in the money the kinds if things that are circulating on the cutting edge of conspiracy. Cicero's tightest work to date. I read it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. Taken as a kind of conceptual trilogy, Best Behavior, Insurgent, and this novel form a kind of working-through response to the utterly absurd lives we lead in a late capitalist society. Get all three of these novels ...more
David Wegehaupt
Feb 25, 2014 David Wegehaupt rated it it was amazing
Holy shit everything about this book just worked for me. Best novella I've read in a long time. I don't give a 5-star lightly, but there wasn't a moment in the book that I was not completely into it. Insightful, cutting, righteously angry, critical, full of love and compassion for humans... A lot of powerful criticism of many problems in the US packed into a 150-page political thriller. It costs just a few bucks on Amazon... Go out and read it now!
Evan Reyes
Jan 22, 2014 Evan Reyes rated it really liked it
Pretty hilarious 'political thriller'. I really liked the way the characters' thoughts and actions made me reflect on my own life and my place in society. It was hilarious when the characters had guns and were fighting people at the end of the novel. Would recommend for anyone who experiences existential terror or pain, even on a small scale, at times in their lives.

I like Noah Cicero's prose style because he does not 'bullshit around' and is pretty 'to the point'.
Austin
Jan 28, 2016 Austin rated it it was amazing
reading this reminded me of reading ayn rand's 'anthem' in high school except the political structure more closely resembles reality here and rand's novel was much more optimistic

might feel differently about it after re-reading, which i intend to do, probably without updating this review, probably writing a more in-depth reivew somehwere elsewhere

this book is scary. don't read it in the middle of the night alone
Jesús
Dec 23, 2013 Jesús rated it it was amazing
Dos citas que resumen el libro:
---
our culture is based off self interest not self sacrifice the capitalist system requires self interested people to do things for money if everyone went around doing things for free the whole system would fall apart are you trying to destroy economic system of america
---
The Five Pillars of Modern Society:
1. Go to work and do your job.
2. Care for your children.
3. Pay your bills.
4. Obey the law.
5. Buy products
Kristy
May 28, 2014 Kristy rated it it was amazing
A thought-provoking novel about freedom, or rather, our belief that we are free. The premise is that in order to destroy our enemies, we have to become like them, but stronger. The problem is, once the organs of the state have a taste for this way of being, do they want to go back to how things were before? And what chance do we, as individuals, have in the face of so much power? A great read.
Cristhian
Apr 16, 2015 Cristhian rated it really liked it
So,dystopia.

Imaginen un molcajete, donde metemos 1984, Un mundo feliz, Fahrenheit, apatía, depresión y la biblia... El antiguo testamento al menos. Machaquen todo y agreguen una pizca de amargura. Sazonar con desilusión y "there's no hope" al (dis) gusto.

Recomendado.
Ashley Oakley
Mar 17, 2014 Ashley Oakley rated it really liked it
dude. what's up with books I've been reading lately starting with "mmhmm....wow....interesting....ahuh....good point" and ending with "what the efffing eff is going on?? why are they doing this to me??" my mind. is excited.
David Gwilliam
Dec 08, 2014 David Gwilliam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This definitely sits somewhere between 3 & 4 stars for me, but I want to be generous. The whole thing feels a bit like an exercise in indie lit; it's a bit on the nose throughout. All things considered, though, it's better than fine, and not bad at all for something I finished in a single flight.
A Sad Friendless Person
Aug 26, 2014 A Sad Friendless Person rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book
I think it is very "relevant"
I think life would be very much so more "free" and "enjoyable" if Burke's revolution were to occur
Richard
Jan 25, 2016 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Day to day life

This was an excellent read. The ending took me by surprise couldn't put it down for a second. enjoy reading
Lawrence E.
Lawrence E. rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Even Though I Don't Miss You
  • Alone with Other People
  • Rontel
  • Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee
  • Moral Hazard
  • a million bears
  • what purpose did i serve in your life
  • I Am Ready to Die a Violent Death
  • One Hundred Apocalypses and Other Apocalypses
  • Hill William
  • Vacation
  • Black Cloud
  • The Foundation: A Great American Secret: How Private Wealth is Changing the World
  • Young Americans

“We want them to have appropriate conversations. They need to live appropriate lives. We are guarding against all inappropriate ideas and thoughts that may arise inside their criminal minds. They are reborn here, they are like little fetuses, and we must raise these fetuses. Everything is gone.” 2 likes
“You are only allowed to ask questions if I give you questions to ask.” 1 likes