Start by marking “National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region” as Want to Read:
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region (National Audubon Society Field Guides)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  399 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Introduced in 1977 and completely revised in 1994, these bestselling photographic field guides have become the birding bibles of more than four million enthusiasts. Virtually every bird found in North America is brought to life in a full-color photograph and with textual information on the bird's voice, nesting habits, habitat, range, and interesting behaviors. Accompanyin ...more
Paperback, Revised Edition, 800 pages
Published September 27th 1994 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published July 12th 1977)

Be the first to ask a question about National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds

National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America by Jon L. DunnNational Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds by National Audubon SocietyThe Sibley Guide to Birds by David Allen SibleyThe Sibley Guide to Bird Life & Behavior by David Allen SibleyThe Crossley ID Guide by Richard Crossley
Best Books for Birders
2nd out of 37 books — 6 voters
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die by Stephen Farthing1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up by Julia Eccleshare1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die by Robert Dimery
A List of Lists
137th out of 216 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Corey
A surprisingly poor field guide from the Audubon Society. The main issue is the organization. I don't like having the pictures in one place and the information and geographical distribution in another part of the book. Too much flipping. Also, there is usually only a single photo of a species, typically standing or perching, so it is difficult to tell how the bird looks in flight. There are several other field guides out there that are much better, so I would avoid this one.
Jim
It's not the best, but I don't know of a better one for the price. We keep 2 copies at home & use it fairly often. The pictures are pretty good & sometimes contain second pictures where season or sex changes the look of a bird - not always, though.
John
Feb 15, 2011 John rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: birds
The text is good but the organization and illustrations leave a lot to be desired. Most people will do better with other field guides, such as the Sibley guide or the Peterson guide.
Ashley Hill
Nov 30, 2012 Ashley Hill marked it as to-read
APA: Bull, J. L., Farrand, J., & Society, N. A. (1996). The national Audubon society field guide to north American birds, eastern region. Alfred a Knopf Inc.
Citation by: Ashley Hill

Type of Reference: Handbook

Call Number: 598.297

Description: This handbook covers birds found east of the Rocky Mountains.

Relevance and Relationship: This material helps students to identify birds in their region and would be a good point of reference for an inquiry project.

Purpose: Teach students about birds e
Mark
Fantastic photographs and I like the extra details under the descriptions but most photos only cover the male plummage of the species, which is fine when a bird is not sexually dimorphic, which only few birds are. In the case of a bird like the sanderling the breeding plummage is shown on plate 193 but it's wintering plummage is on 229 and there is no photo for the immature sanderling. Just not practical in the field. Peterson or Sibley drawings give all looks of the individual species.
Jadwega
I love this guide! I was introduced to an older format of the guide when I started bird watching at the age of 9. It's easy to use, the pictures are accurate, and it includes not only the more colorful male birds, but also the females as well. Gives a lot of information about each species, including habitat, field markers, bird calls, nesting behavior, and a general roundabout description about the general behavior and lifestyle.
Genee
Jun 23, 2010 Genee added it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in identifyling and learning more about birds.
I picked up this book to identify a pair of birds that were living in our backyard. I loved that this book had tons of pictures, as well as, descriptions of all the birds. They were also broken down into categories, such as perching birds, duck-like birds, etc. My family and I really enjoyed looking up all the birds that we saw in our neighborhood and on outings.
Emily Crow
I used this guide extensively when I first started birding because it was divided into color, which helped me narrow down the selection of possible birds. I still prefer photos to drawings in field guides, but now I prefer Stokes or Crossley, which have much better photos.
julia
Its hard to say I "read" this book (past tense) as I read it all the time. What reminded me this time was seeing a beautiful Green Heron teaching a baby Green Heron to fish this weekend while I was canoeing; however, Green Herons are actually blue.
Brian
Jul 30, 2007 Brian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: birds
I really like this book. It isn't a great one to use in the field, but I like to reference to it. It uses actual photographs of the birds instead of drawings which are a pleasure to look at and study, but not great for field identification.
GoldenjoyBazyll
The kindle version of this book is FANTASTICd! I used it this summer to id many birds while kayaking! You can hear their different sounds... and it offers GREAT information. A TOTAL MUST!!!!!!!!!!!
Ezra
im so into birds now that im living on long island and ive seen an amazing variety just sitting at the table eating breakfast in the morning. i want to know about them all.
Ellen Janoski
May 28, 2007 Ellen Janoski rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: me
Shelves: science, nature
I have spent more time looking/reading at this book than any other. This isn't the edition that I own, but this book has a special place in my heart.
Theresa
great informational resource a good field resource for children, and parents driven to distraction with questions.
Lisa P.
I have been birdwatching and checking birds off in this guide since the 1980's. Can't imagine not owning a copy!
Mel
Great for use at the back window. I can't even count the number of times I have referred to it over the years.
Ann M
Best bird book -- organized by type and color for beginners trying to id birds in the field.
Joseph Wendel
photographs rather than illustrations
Quinn Cole
General reference guide
Meltha
Excellent guide.
Denise Dupree
Denise Dupree marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Kat
Kat added it
Nov 12, 2014
Rumpusparable
Rumpusparable marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Nicole Williams
Nicole Williams marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
  • A Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • The Life of Birds
  • Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks (Peterson Field Guides)
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • Birds of North America
  • A Field Guide to Insects: America North of Mexico
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • The Bedside Book of Birds: An Avian Miscellany
  • Why Birds Sing: A Journey Into the Mystery of Birdsong
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • Bird Songs: Of North America
The National Audobon Society is an environmental organization.
More about National Audubon Society...
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders (National Audubon Society Field Guides) National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers: Eastern Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide) National Audubon Society Field Guide to the Night Sky National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather