Start by marking “Italian Days” as Want to Read:
Italian Days

Italian Days

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"Italian Days" is one of the richest and most absorbing travel books written--a journey that traverses the Italian peninsula and immerses readers in a culture which provides the reader with a definition of the good life.
Published September 25th 1998 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Italian Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Italian Days

Debbie Robson
Where to start on this wonderful book? It is so much more than a travel memoir. I love Grizzuti's prose, her manner of expressing herself. She doesn't just describe what she is seeing but the history behind the sculpture, the piazza, the place. Also what she is feeling.
She will give you a new slant on something famous and obviously being well read she will come up with a marvellous quote from Keats, James, Stendhal, even Iris Origo for instance; a writer I have now marked down to read.
From readi
Nicole
Not overly impressed with this novel. It exists as a melting pot of part travelogue, part history book, part discussion of art and religion, and part receipe book. A very dense read (as an oversized paperback), it was a struggle to get through even ten pages at a time. While I loved the descriptions of different foods and meals, the author had an annoying habit of talking in tangents. For example, she would have three paragraphs on the architecture of some church then all of sudden a random sent ...more
Becky
Mar 06, 2008 Becky rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
This book came very highly recommended, and I have to admit, I was disappointed. I found it self-absorbed and opaque, inscrutable. Grizzuti Harrison's Italy sounds like a place I would never want to go -- indeed, nothing like the place I've been to -- full of peevish storekeepers, American-hating townspeople, predatory men. I found nothing to love about the Italy depicted in this book and couldn't imagine why the author would subject herself to further months spent there.

The writing is very stra
Kate
I love this book. Now, would I recommend it? Conditionally, yes. If a wonderful trip to Italy, for you, would be hitting the high spots in Rome and Venice (and how awesome is that?!), you may feel overwhelmed by Grizzuti Harrison's tome. It is very long, and it's very detailed. I'm guessing the reader visits 30+ churches with her in Rome, alone. The book is part travelogue and part "Roots" in Italy.

I found myself mesmerized by both (and I'm just going to call her Barbara and move forward with th
Traczy555
I wanted to love this book, but could not read past the first 40 pages. I felt as though I were reading in ADD. The author's thoughts are jumpy at best, incohesive and divergent. I actually agreed with most of her perceptions of Milan, but the writing style was simply frustrating. Thinking this might be something found only at the start of the book, I jumped to the Florence section and found the same difficulties.[return][return]It was also disconcerting that her translations of Italian were inc ...more
June
To truly connect with this one I think you need to be as much a fan of Barbara as of Italy. Which I SORT of am--which doesn't explain why I GAVE my copy to an acquaintance whose parents were about to travel abroad. I must've had some sort of agenda at the time; now the acquaintance is long gone from my life, and i just wish I had my book back. I WILL buy another copy...which in itself is a great review. It's not about pictures--it's about words. Cozily, caustically, comically, cleverly, WONDERFU ...more
Maureen
I couldn't get into this one and even more so realized it's one for a slow read. Maybe in a cold winter I'll try it again.
Marilyn
Being a big devotee of Italy and its culture,I really thought this was going to be a fabulous book--I was extremely disappointed. The author was more interested in her own thoughts and religious beliefs to really do any justice to the Italian landscape.
Bee
Nostalgia influenced my loving this book, but the writing is great. A different, more personal and intimate approach to Italy. And the damn book kept making me tear up at the oddest moments!
Celia B
Still reading, but love the way the author captures the spirit and culture of Italy. So far, I have journeyed to Milan with her, and we are now in Venice.
The first part, particularly the first chapter, I loved. Toward the end her introspective analysis was beginning to weigh me down.
Maria Tatham
very, very interesting account of a journey from Northern Italy to the south. sterling prose.
Deanna
I often reread this book when I am particularly yearning to go to Italy and can't.
Dianne Merridith
Dated. Not written in a very interesting style.
Dad
Feb 22, 2008 Dad rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Travel writing at it's best in my opinion-
Hank Stuever
A fantastic writer and thinker.
Carol Best
Carol Best marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Talitha
Talitha marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Hleves
Hleves marked it as to-read
Marco
Marco marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jennifer Bingaman
Jennifer Bingaman marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
500 Great Books B...: Italian Days - Barbara Grizzuti Harrison 1 1 Jul 25, 2014 01:48PM
  • Bringing Tuscany Home: Sensuous Style From the Heart of Italy
  • Italian Hours
  • Italian Neighbors
  • Too Much Tuscan Sun: Confessions of a Chianti Tour Guide
  • On Persephone's Island: A Sicilian Journal
  • Long Ago in France: The Years in Dijon
  • D. H. Lawrence and Italy: Twilight in Italy; Sea and Sardinia; Etruscan Places
  • The Hills of Tuscany
  • Ciao, America!: An Italian Discovers the U.S.
  • Popper Selections
  • Eureka!: 81 Key Ideas Explained
  • Literary Theory: The Basics
  • Pagan Holiday: On the Trail of Ancient Roman Tourists
  • Venice
  • The Beloved Works of C.S. Lewis
  • Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • Pasquale's Nose: Idle Days in an Italian Town
  • The Philosophical Writings of Descartes (Volume II)
Barbara Grizzuti Harrison (14 September 1934 – 24 April 2002) was an American journalist, essayist and memoirist. She is best known for her autobiographical work, particularly her account of growing up as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and for her travel writing.

Her first book, Unlearning the Lie: Sexism in School, was published in 1969. Harrison was one of the first contributors to Ms. magazine.

Harr
More about Barbara Grizzuti Harrison...
An Accidental Autobiography Visions of Glory: A History and a Memory of Jehovah's Witnesses The Astonishing World Off Center: Essays Islands of Italy