Start by marking “The Science of Being Great” as Want to Read:
The Science of Being Great

The Science of Being Great

Joining the ranks of Tarcher's runaway editions of Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, Public Speaking for Success by Dale Carnegie, and The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace D. Wattles, here are three landmark guides to a life of prosperity-now restored to print in beautiful, signature volumes.

- Newly discovered by fans of The Secret, the metaphysical writer Wallace
Published August 16th 2007 by TarcherPerigee (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Being Great, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Being Great

Oct 20, 2016 Amir rated it it was ok
Shelves: success
All but science :))

This book focuses intensely on leaving ourselves to god and absorb the mind of the lord ... :|
I couldn't relate almost any of the stuff to science.

There were a couple of nice insights, though, for example, the author argues that everything and everyone we see, are in their perfect state, striving for getting better and better, and that's how the universe has been working. For instance, he says that we cannot say locomotives fueled with coal are bad, no, they were great in the
Aug 03, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing
Toward the beginning it's very... philo, so you really have to focusfocus when you read, but then it gets more easily digestible and freaking AMAZINGLY inspiring. This book is going to be my constant companion. If everyone read this book, and practiced this book, there would be world peace. I'm just saying.
Tony Jr.
Mar 31, 2016 Tony Jr. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Theres so much wisdom packed In this little book. Excellent read.
Kara Lane
Aug 20, 2014 Kara Lane rated it really liked it
This book was written almost 100 years ago, but it still inspires today. Wattles notes that, "When awakened, man becomes a son of the Highest and all power is given to him in heaven and on earth." He notes you can become what you want to be by virtue of your thoughts.

He also explains that wisdom is the essential basis of greatness and that man can receive wisdom from God. He includes an entire chapter on a mental exercise that helps you to connect with God and thus realize your highest potential
Apr 07, 2016 TheReyFran rated it it was amazing
The beginning of this book was very powerful, motivating, and full of fire. The next few chapters were hard to digest, and obtaining the bigger picture was hard. However, when you've reached the middle of the book, the pace would be stable, and the chapters would be easier to digest. Also, chapter-by-chapter, towards the end, Mr Wallace soon revealed to us the big picture he had in mind, and it was something beautiful and worth the time.

This book gave me a new way to view the world and everythin
Nov 10, 2010 Angie rated it liked it
As I traveled thru the beautiful Oregon country this week I enjoyed this audio CD from the library.

I was able to take many things from this book and hope to apply them in my own life.

The two most important:

1. The world is a perfect place.

2. ALL people are good with different struggles.

Great book!
Apr 19, 2015 David rated it it was ok
"DO not merely think that you are going to become great; think that you are great now. Do not think that you will begin to act in a great way at some future time; begin now. Do not think that you will act in a great way when you reach a different environment; act in a great way where you are now. Do not think that you will begin to act in a great way when you begin to deal with great things; begin to deal in a great way with small things. Do not think that you will begin to be great when you get ...more
I enjoyed this book a lot. It's one that would make a great graduation gift. I plan to implement a lot of the Wattles' ideas, especially the mental exercise outlined in chapter 21.
Vishnu Vardhan
Feb 15, 2014 Vishnu Vardhan rated it really liked it
A book that truly inspires you to believe in the powers of the universe. A book that talks about a simple law that governs the universe, like the laws of motion, or of gravity. Every thought, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe, and if you believe in your thought, and constantly LIVE the thought, with no room for disbelief or doubt, the universe will contrive to make your thoughts manifest in the real world. Truly awesome read. And, one that I truly believe in, becau ...more
Dec 17, 2014 Waseem rated it really liked it
highly recommended for any Wallace D Wattles fans - I love all his work, and this was NO exception!

To Our Continued Success
Waseem Mirza
Brandi Bates
Oct 01, 2010 Brandi Bates rated it it was amazing
AMAZING...PROFOUND & LIFE ALTERING! I read this book at least twice a year.
Sep 15, 2013 Karl rated it really liked it
Although the words in “The Science Of Being Great” were penned over 100 years ago there are many truths that still apply to this day. Wallace D. Wattles shares his views about the importance of following your own truth and he emphasizes that our thoughts play a significant role in determining our level of greatness.

By thinking for ourselves and by visualizing what we wish to see in reality we become the master of our thoughts, which in turn become our reality. Wattles asserts that greatness is n
Oct 16, 2013 Rafat added it
I read this book ( I felt so engulfed)and just randomly the next day I yet again watched the movie - the ghost and the darkness ( The book and the movie don't have any relation , but I am about to create one) Since the day I have read the book I am trying to understand it better in everything I am doing, watching, seeing , etc. So , while I was watching this movie (the character of Colonel Patterson in the movie has always impressed me deeply, though) , this time I realised that the character Co ...more
Camille McCarthy
Aug 13, 2013 Camille McCarthy rated it it was ok
Even though I agreed with most of what Wattles was saying, I really feel like the version I read could have done with a preface and some context, because he kind of just launches into things without really explaining a whole lot. The book is very short and concise, which is great, and it has a lot of really good ideas on how to change your perspective on life and think positively, and it definitely got a lot better further in, but the very first chapters felt like he was just yelling at the read ...more
Crystalee Beck
Jun 27, 2016 Crystalee Beck rated it it was amazing
My copy is well-highlighted, the beginning of a lifelong relationship with this book -- I absolutely love the truth in it. How is Wattles not as well known as Emerson? His writing is so much more digestible and readily applicable. We each have so much capacity and potential and this book is helping me tap into mine. It's tremendously inspiring. Like scripture, I will re-read this book for the rest of my life.
Grace Onyebuolise
Feb 18, 2016 Grace Onyebuolise rated it really liked it
An intelligently written book. Was not surprised to see that the author was well read and a thinker. Though it was first published in 1911, the truth in this book is still potent. A great read for anyone seeking greatness.
Oliver Nathaniel
Mar 03, 2016 Oliver Nathaniel rated it it was amazing
An excellent extension upon the previous edition by Wallace Wattles, titled 'The Science of Getting Rich.' Both books an excellent journey and of massive help to any person, no matter how high up the ladder.
Dennis P.
Apr 05, 2013 Dennis P. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Leaders
A classic.
Reminds me of the Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino.

One of my best takeaways from this is that we are gods walking among other gods, and they deserve our utmost respect in ways acted out without our losing our own dignity. That there is nothing wrong with the world. The world is perfect the way it is even with its perceived imperfections, and that is because it is still and always evolving and moving forward.
Seen with this perspective, we can move on from a place of contribu
Jerry Williams
Aug 08, 2016 Jerry Williams rated it really liked it
Very exceptional book, I need to get the physical copy, the motivational insight and spiritual awakening makes you want to read it over and over again.
Emmanuel Ayeni
This is a wonderful book with great philosophies,it's another book worth reviewing.
Follow my blog for past and future reviews at
Vaishali Joglekar
Jul 04, 2014 Vaishali Joglekar rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
A bit dated, but still excellent in terms of the philosophy of life transcendence and personal success.
Diamond Williams
Jan 23, 2016 Diamond Williams rated it it was amazing
This book gave really good insight on upward progression; definitely plan to read it a few times over!
May 21, 2016 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Great book, I listened to it free on but think I'll have to buy this one!
Islam Ahmed
Nice book, but quite random when mixed in the shelf.
Mar 01, 2015 Royce rated it really liked it
thought pattern changing book. Very helpful.
Nov 22, 2014 Rouselle rated it really liked it
"Speak from your character, not from your tongue."
Study this.
  • 50 Prosperity Classics: Attract It, Create It, Manage It, Share It
  • Nasty People
  • Think and Grow Rich: A Black Choice
  • How To Live 365 Days A Year
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • The Attractor Factor: 5 Easy Steps for Creating Wealth (or Anything Else) from the Inside Out
  • 7 Strategies for Wealth & Happiness: Power Ideas from America's Foremost Business Philosopher
  • Master Your Mind  Design Your Destiny
Wallace Delois Wattles was an American author. A New Thought writer, he remains personally somewhat obscure, but his writing has been widely quoted and remains in print in the New Thought and self-help movements. Wattles' best known work is a 1910 book called The Science of Getting Rich in which he explained how to become wealthy.

He studied the writings of Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel and Ralph W
More about Wallace D. Wattles...

“You must lay aside your greed; have no unworthy motive in your desire to become rich and powerful. It is legitimate and right to desire riches, if you want them for the sake of your soul, but not if you desire them for the lists of the flesh.” 14 likes
“Intellect helps us to see the best means and manner of doing the right thing,” 0 likes