Start by marking “Of Spirit: Heidegger and the Question” as Want to Read:
Of Spirit: Heidegger and the Question

Of Spirit: Heidegger and the Question

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
"I shall speak of ghost, of flame, and of ashes." These are the first words of Jacques Derrida's lecture on Heidegger. It is again a question of Nazism—of what remains to be thought through of Nazism in general and of Heidegger's Nazism in particular. It is also "politics of spirit" which at the time people thought—they still want to today—to oppose to the inhuman.

"Derrida
Published April 9th 1991 by University Of Chicago Press (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Of Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Spirit

Jonfaith
Jun 27, 2014 Jonfaith rated it really liked it
Shelves: theory
(That's what I like about Heidegger. When I think about him, when I read him, I'm aware of both of these vibrations at the same time. It's always horribly dangerous and wildly funny, certainly grave and a bit comical.)

That wonky Derrida, pulling an aside about the knee-slapping effects of Heidegger, especially in a text devoted to Martin H's involvement with Third Reich. That is brazen. The book deals with Heidegger's evasions and the changing forms with which the word spirit (geist) takes in He
Mr.
Oct 07, 2008 Mr. rated it really liked it
The question of Heidegger and politics has plagued (and will continue to plague) continental philosophy since Heidegger's induction into the Recktorship under the Nazi regime in the thirties.

Why did he? But, and perhaps more importantly, why does something like Nazism come up? What is it about the West that breeds this kind of pathological racism? And how could Heidegger, for all his time concerned with, and working on authenticity and inauthenticity get swept up in the most inauthentic politic
Spoust1
Jun 03, 2010 Spoust1 rated it liked it
I was about to write that Derrida's interpretation of Heidegger is interesting because Derrida is, in a sense, a Heideggerian. Then, the Derrida in me responded: "Is not the term 'Heideggerian' highly problematic? For to call a person or a text 'Heideggerian' presupposes that we can identify a particular quality that we might, in a gesture that I will not be so hasty as to call 'Heideggerian,' call 'Heideggerian-ness.' That is, in order to call something 'Heideggerian,' we would have to know som ...more
David Markwell
Feb 08, 2016 David Markwell rated it really liked it
Derrida looks at the explicit (and implicit) uses of Geist in Heidegger's writings from Being and Time through the late works on Trakl and Holderlin. Along the way Derrida criticizes Heidegger's Dasein and it's (lack) of animal nature. A really fascinating read and well worth the time it takes.
Barış Özgür
Sep 23, 2015 Barış Özgür rated it liked it
questioning the question, the famous heideggerian remedy, questioning the questioning this time. and of course some sticky stink arises while it is applied on itself and by itself.
M7md Alghanmi
Mar 27, 2016 William rated it really liked it
what happened?
Ammon
Jul 10, 2008 Ammon rated it it was amazing
Essential for anyone wanting to understand how to treat the relationship between Heidegger's philosophy and his national socialism seriously. Also crucial for understanding the ontological themes in deconstruction. One of Derrida's most sustained considerations of Heidegger, whose work shows up in subtle and ambiguous ways in all of Derrida's texts.Also crucial for understanding the complexities of post-modernisms ambivalence towards humanism.
Alex Obrigewitsch
Jul 22, 2014 Alex Obrigewitsch rated it really liked it
An interesting read, eliciting much thought. Far from Derrida's strongest, most powerful works though.
William Durden
This is another Derrida work, like Politics of Friendship, that I need to re-read. There is a very important moment in a footnote to the ninth chapter that I base my impressions of this work on, which just emphasizes how little of this I actually retained in reading it.
Nasrudin muhammad
Feb 09, 2012 Nasrudin muhammad rated it liked it
Shelves:
Bagaimana Derrida yang heideggerian membaca Heidegger. :)
Vince
Jul 29, 2012 Vince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is the best exposition of what spirit really is.
Russell Bowley
Russell Bowley rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Daniels Stephanus
Daniels Stephanus marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Marcus de Rojas
Marcus de Rojas marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Wolf
Wolf marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Lupe Vendemia
Lupe Vendemia marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Jay X
Jay X rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Cameron Walter
Cameron Walter marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Zudensachen
Zudensachen marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Hermes
Hermes marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Ahmed
Ahmed marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Lola Lew
Lola Lew marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Greengoliath
Greengoliath rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Roland Clark
Roland Clark rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
John Cicchino
John Cicchino rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
  • Emmanuel Levinas: Basic Philosophical Writings (Studies in Continental Thought)
  • Identity and Difference
  • The Time That Remains: A Commentary On The Letter To The Romans (Meridian)
  • Philosophy in a Time of Terror: Dialogues with Jürgen Habermas and Jacques Derrida
  • The Hermeneutics of the Subject: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1981-82
  • The Purloined Poe: Lacan, Derrida, and Psychoanalytic Reading
  • Meeting the Universe Halfway: Quantum Physics and the Entanglement of Matter and Meaning
  • A Singular Modernity: Essay on the Ontology of the Present
  • Political Theology: Four Chapters on the Concept of Sovereignty
  • Prayers and Tears of Jacques Derrida: Religion Without Religion
  • The Metastases of Enjoyment: On Women and Casuality
Jacques Derrida was the founder of “deconstruction,” a way of criticizing not only both literary and philosophical texts but also political institutions. Although Derrida at times expressed regret concerning the fate of the word “deconstruction,” its popularity indicates the wide-ranging influence of his thought, in philosophy, in literary criticism and theory, in art and, in particular, architect ...more
More about Jacques Derrida...