Start by marking “Arctic Fire (Red Cell Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Arctic Fire (Red Cell Trilogy #1)

Arctic Fire (Red Cell Trilogy #1)

3.53  ·  Rating Details ·  1,613 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews

Troy Jensen could do it all: he conquered the Seven Summits, sailed solo around the world twice, and even fought a bull in a Mexican slum on a dare. So when word comes that a rogue wave has swept Troy off a crab fishing boat in the Bering Sea and into a watery grave, his brother, Jack, doesn’t buy it.

Against his better judgment, Jack decides to quit his job as a Wall Stree

Published October 9th 2012 by Thomas & Mercer (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Arctic Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arctic Fire

John Hanscom
Maybe less. First of all, it is a mile long but only an inch deep - all action, such as a James Bond movie, and very little substance. Secondly, action books tend not to be too descriptive, but this one had so little description I began to wonder if he has actually been to these places, especially Dutch Harbor, a fascinating fishing complex on the Aleutians which I have visited many times (one of the reasons I purchased the book). Thirdly, it was a political issue novel (national security vs. ...more
Marie
Jan 08, 2013 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Arctic Fire, Troy, the adventurous globe-trotter, seems indestructible while his brother Jack is always playing catch up. When Troy dies on the crab boat "Arctic Fire" in Alaska, Jack heads to Alaska to find out what really happened to him. On the way, he uncovers a link between Troy and a secret intelligence organization, Red Cell Seven. As Jack learns more about the RCS and Troy's death, the situation becomes more dangerous and Jack could lose more than his brother.

I had mixed feelings abo
Tim
Feb 15, 2013 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story was interesting. The body counts are huge. Arnold in his heyday couldn't slaughter so many. I originally rated this story a "2" star, but it deserves a "1" due to numerous victims and the ending. You wonder if the author is as schizophrenic and demented as his characters...Disappointed and unfulfilled. 1 of 10 stars.
Dian
Oct 21, 2014 Dian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
If you value decent writing, do not, under any circumstances, read this book. And under even fewer circumstances should you ever subject your ears to the audio version of this book.

You've been warned.
Charline Ratcliff
Jan 10, 2015 Charline Ratcliff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first decided to read Arctic Fire by Stephen Frey because I was looking for a good action/adventure read. Having found the book’s cover to be appealing and the plot summary to be interesting – I decided I’d go for it.

In Arctic Fire, readers meet Troy Jensen, daredevil extraordinaire – a man who never met anything he couldn't conquer, achieve or excel at. That is, not until he decided to take a job on a crab boat named Arctic Fire where his luck apparently changed for the worse. Not long after
This is the first book I've read by Frey and I enjoyed it. The cloak-and-dagger aspect is what I expected and being a long-time fan of 'The Deadliest Catch,' the brief time the story spent off the coast of Dutch Harbor and in the Bering Sea was satisfying.

I should have realized this was a series, however, because the cliffhanger ending was less an actual 'ending' than driving and finding out abruptly the road ends and you're being asked to hurtle across a gaping chasm. The problem is that I wasn
Eric Fadden
Couldn't bring myself to finish it after about 70%. It's just too...simple. If I was going to sit down and write a book based on general stereotypes pulled from every spy movie I've ever seen, with descriptions of places based on what I'd seen on the Discovery Channel, and finish it off with the most canned and corny names for my characters I could think of....well, in the end, I'd have produced Arctic Fire.
Alex
Nov 18, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent spy/mystery novel. First time to read Mr.Frey, but will not be the last. The ideas that he used could very well be in play right now (scary). If you enjoy mysteries, you should like this book.
Dianne
Oct 26, 2012 Dianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two brothers, one the 'Golden Boy,' one always feeling second best. This is a great 'adventure/espionage' read that would appeal to anyone wanting to see things larger than life and a little 'unbelievable'. Great characters, lots of action.
Brenda Wingfield
Oct 30, 2016 Brenda Wingfield rated it liked it
Not bad.....

Kind of pedestrian. Changes scenes too often. I'll read all of the series though. Just not Mitch Rapp or Scott Harvagh.
Darren Alexander
Oct 05, 2016 Darren Alexander rated it liked it
I usually like political thrillers and the story line in Arctic Fire does exactly what it's supposed to. What I had trouble with was the constant political rhetoric and stereotypes. They're used to make a point, but there was way too much. The story itself was entertaining but short jumps in time and location tended to leave me with a "what just happened feeling". I listened to the audiobook and some of my annoyance is from the narrator who I believe made the characters more whiney than Mr. Frey ...more
Niles
Dec 11, 2014 Niles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "Arctic Fire," Stephen Frey introduces us to Red Cell Seven (RCS), an ultra-secret arm of the U.S. intelligence apparatus. RCS has been operating for over 40 years and is apolitical, protecting the interests of the United States rather than any one political ideology. The new president, however, is not willing to let RCS operate with impunity any longer and is threatening to dismantle the organization. Certain rogue elements within RCS will not allow that to happen, no matter what it takes to ...more
Susan
Sep 18, 2016 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed with the ending of this book.
Chris
Oct 15, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Arctic Fire might be a reference to the beautiful splendor of the Northern Lights, but in Stephen Frey's latest thriller, something more deadly is intended. This is a compelling story of two brothers, one of whom is adopted, who care very much for each other. The adopted son, Jack, is treated very badly by his adopted dad, no matter how Jack tries to please him. The family was stunned to receive word that the younger son, Troy, was dead He was swept from the deck of a crab boat, christened the ...more
Rachel
Jan 16, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, after reading some of the other reviews, I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one totally blindsided by the cliffhanger ending, not knowing this is intended to be the first in a series. That being said, I generally liked the book, up until the end. I can only hope things don't actually turn out the way the reader is meant to believe they'll turn out from the way it ended. Had I known this was the beginning of a series, I'm not sure I would have read it, because I'm not sure I'm down for ...more
Brian Williams
An exciting and suspenseful thriller about a terrorist attack on the US using a LNG carrier. There's a secret bunch of thugs within the US Intelligence Establishment who have a licence to kill and their activity has been condoned by the US Government. Then the President decides to disband the group and their insane leaders take steps to assassinate the President. This group is also supporting the terrorists because they think a successful attack will convince the Prfesident to keep them in ...more
LLona Cunningham
Aug 10, 2014 LLona Cunningham rated it liked it
It was a good story, but I didn't enjoy the read as much as I expected. Some stories are best presented in hour-long movies for TV -- where jumping from POV to POV, and from scene to scene, happen quickly enough to blend together into what it was meant to be. But in book format spreading over more than a day to absorb, along with the usual distraction of daily life, I was most often wondering why this scene is necessary to this story. It all comes together as it should, and I'm sure I would have ...more
5ngela
Oct 04, 2015 5ngela rated it liked it
I love the story and I read it because it was written by Mr Frey. It was great but it could have been better with more thorough ending. When I said thorough ending, I don't mean it as close ending. But more like what happen with the other victim instead just making situations for the next book. It just feels like suddenly Mr Frey forget about other people whom died. Some people think it as minor. For me, knowing Mr Frey, I expect him to be better. Anyway cannot wait for his next book
Karsyn
So much wrong with this book. It seems like it's going to be action-y, and it's not at ALL. It's almost all dialogue. Then there is some really shitty stuff that makes noooooooooooo sense. He's scared of heights yet doesn't say a thing about it in the pontoon plane?! What about the best friend, and Lisa? NO ONE goes and checks on them after Bill plans to bring her to the house to live with them? Wow. Bad bad bad in so many ways!!
Greer Andjanetta
An unpleasant story about still more Muslim plots against the US. The dialogue is artificial and the characters' main purpose for being in the story seem to be to preach what a great country the US is, how any action is acceptable as long as it is for good of country and that it is OK to slaughter millions of Americans (this from American agents)in order to preserve the secret intelligence groups who conduct spying, anti-terrorist and even assassinations on behalf of US security.
Lee
This book finds Jack Jensen heading to Alaska to find out what happened to his brother Troy who was swept off a fishing boat. When he finds another man met a similar fate he teams up with his former fiancé to investigate. He finds out his brother worked for a top secret government team dedicated to stopping terror attacks but both of the men suspected that their boss had gone off the reservation and was seeking to kill the President for trying to shut down the team. OK read 1st of 3 books.
Richard R., Martin
Sep 04, 2015 Richard R., Martin rated it it was ok
As I read the book I wavered between two stars and four stars. The book was a quick read with action keeping the story moving. What I didn't like was all the senseless killing in the name of loyalty and country. The author also portrayed the President as a complete doofus. He could never have been elected as he was described. The final straw was the ending. I won't say what happens but it completely destroyed the book for me.
Audrey Insoft
A gripping page turner that holds the reader in suspense for most of the book. Sometimes I became lost in the storyline because of too many characters and some parts of the book were not believable. The ending was abrupt and left me wanting a different conclusion ... but overall, a worthwhile mystery.
Alej
Nov 23, 2012 Alej rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Black Friday read. A quick, mostly enjoyable read, begun in the morning and finished in the afternoon. I liked the characters and the question of whether or not the US needs shadow organizations to keep us safe was actually thought-provoking. I would like to read a second book with these characters.
Darrell
Really a fun read with a lot of twists and turns. This is a thriller that has a Troy searching for the reason his brother died. He travels along the path that his brother last took and discovers some startling facts along the way. The least of which is that his brother was involved in something very secret and dangerous.
Kaitlin
I was entertained, but not blown away. There's a great theme throughout the book: the price of security and where to draw the line. This lended interest to the plot. There were two major drawbacks. The dialogue isn't particularly well-developed. It feels fake. Second, the two Jensen boys seem just a little too superhuman. It does have a James Bond feel to it.
Karen wadey
Deeply disappointing!! All american hero belongs to secret special forces cell, sets out to save america and abort the attempt to assissinate the american president. Reading the back blurb of this I thought it was going to be a great thriller.Dull dull dull, feel I read/seen this type of book before.
Benjamin
Dec 08, 2014 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great spy thriller with a lot of good plot and character development, though I felt that the end of the book is a bit rushed. Once the climax hit, the end went rather quickly and did a quick wrap-up, I suppose because the next book will continue the plot and character development. I removed a star only because of the rushed ending. Great book!
Randy Ramsey
May 20, 2014 Randy Ramsey rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed

Really enjoyed

Action packed and doesn't always result with happy endings. I'd read the next one in the series. Nothing to get you going like terrorism from inside by "the good guys."
Betty
May 02, 2013 Betty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very current premise for an underground spy cell who wield their "justice" in the name of patriotism. I lost count of the bodies. the first half was exciting and a page turner. The cliffhanger ending was disappointing and leaves the door wide open for a sequel. I am not sure I will read it.
  • Boston Blackie
  • The Hand of Fu-Manchu
  • 'Til Death (87th Precinct, #9)
  • The Killing Song
  • The Naked Edge (Cavanaugh #2)
  • Dead Low Tide
  • Final Seconds
  • The Crown's Vengeance
  • The Twitter Book
  • One Among the Sleepless
  • Penance
  • Private L.A. -- Free Preview -- The First 14 Chapters
  • Pretty Little Dead Things
  • Threat Warning (Jonathan Grave, #3)
  • London Twist
  • Violence
  • Arab Summer (Sasha Del Mira Thrillers #3)
  • Silent Echo
For the last 15 years I’ve been lucky enough to be a novelist. Until recently the books were set in the worlds of Wall Street and Washington. In addition to writing, I’ve also had a career in finance with specialties including merger & acquisition advisory and private equity at firms like J.P. Morgan in New York City and Winston Partners just outside D.C. in northern Virginia.

So, it seemed na
More about Stephen W. Frey...

Red Cell Trilogy (3 books)
  • Red Cell Seven (Red Cell Trilogy #2)
  • Kodiak Sky (Red Cell Trilogy #3)

“He wasn’t a loner, but he liked doing things his way. Compromise wasn’t a priority for him.” 1 likes