Chernowitz

Chernowitz

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A boy who suffers anti-Semitic abuse at the hands of a classmate during his ninth and tenth grade years plots revenge against his tormentor.
Published May 1st 1983 by Signet (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Chernowitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chernowitz

Alexa SOF2014
The basic premise of this novel is that Bobby Cherno, a ninth grader, suffers anti Semitic abuse in the hands of a classmate during his ninth and tenth grade. He then begins to plot revenge against his tormentor. Emmet Sundback, Bobby's bully and tormentor, just doesn't like Jews. He convinces Bobby's friends to become his enemies. Unfortunately, on his front lawn one day was a burning cross, then a swastica on his parent's car. He realized ignoring this situation was not the answer.

I can't imag...more
Apfel
I though this was great! A good story and one, I feel, that needs to be told. A reminder that, sometimes, history repeats itself. Often in ways that we do not expect. I was assigned this book for school and, like I usually do, I read ahead. This book was terrific although the ending was a bit vague. Despite being vague the ending made sense because you really can't drastically change someones hatred towards you. The author did a good job illustrating the story to the reader. I'd recommend this b...more
Theo
This was a very powerful book. Liked the character development. It was really fun to read and brought new insights as to I thought MY life was rough, here is a kid who is losing all his friends to a kid picking on him because he is Jewish. That is terrible!!!!!!! I thought I had seen bullying, but this is like a child version of hitler that Bobby Cherno has to deal with. This book really moved me, I think it will move you as well.
Justin
Chernowitz by Fran Arrick

Summary-
The plot is about Bobby Cherno, a 9th grader who is Jewish. However, another kid named Emmett Sundback bullies him about being a Jew. Soon enough, all of Cherno's friends turn against him. Emmett is ruining Cherno's life, and he doesn't like it.

Conflicts-
Cherno has to deal with Emmett Sundback, who makes rude comments about him being a Jew.(Review to be continued)
Tyler Kittelson
I thought Chernowitz was a good book. I liked how a boy (Bobby) tried to take matters into his own hands. He is a Jewish boy and people don't like him because of it. Bobby soon figures out that making him self feel big doesn't make himself bigger.
Adam Lanners
I thought chernowitz was a good book about bullying.Also about a Jewish boy getting bullied by Emmett Sundbeck and some of his friends.After a while boby cant take it anymore and finally gets back at him.
Sierra Hollan
i am suppose to read this book for english. i dont have the book yet but my whole class has already got it and started reading it. does anyone know what chapter 7-9 is about?
Cody001
Chernowitz was a sad book in the begining because a boy named Bobby Cherno was bullied. In the end he pulls threw and is'nt bullied anymore.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
I think this was a pretty good book.It has a lot of good details.I would recommend this book to anyone who is in to this sort of genre.
Katrina
i think chernowitz is a really good book. Its about a jewish boy that gets picked on all year, and he finally stands up for himself
Quirkyreader
This was a very moving story that made me cry. See my review on my book blog: http://quirkyreader.livejournal.com/1...
Mary Musick
This is a book that will keep u on the edge of ur seat the whole time. It is just great!
Luke Vaillancourt
good book I recommend it to others :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Andy Peterson
great book #readit
Celeste Mohan
Celeste Mohan marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Kiki Love
Kiki Love marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Daniel Abadi
Daniel Abadi marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Atara Klein
Atara Klein marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Roxanne Reyes
Roxanne Reyes is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2014
zandy
zandy marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Fran Arrick is a pseudonym of Judie Angell
More about Fran Arrick...
Steffie Can't Come Out to Play Tunnel Vision What You Don't Know Can Kill You Where'd You Get the Gun, Billy? Nice Girl from Good