Start by marking “Mamas Going To Buy You a Mockingbird” as Want to Read:
Mamas Going To Buy You a Mockingbird

Mamas Going To Buy You a Mockingbird

A Jean Little Classic Jeremy is not having a good summer. His best friends have moved away, and he has to stay at the cottage with only his little sister and Aunt Margery. His parents have remained in the city so his father can have an operation.

When Jeremy finally sees him again, he finds out that his father has cancer and isn't going to get better. Suddenly, everything i
Paperback
Published August 2nd 2005 by Puffin (first published August 20th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Mamas Going To Buy You a Mockingbird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mamas Going To Buy You a Mockingbird

Jasmine
I fucking love this book even now that I'm old enough to use the word "fucking."
writer...
5 stars for the inviting cover and for the classic Jean Little content.

Sensitive treatment of 11 year old Jeremy and his younger sister, summer vacationing at the lake with their paternal aunt, whilst waiting expectantly for their parents' to join them. Father is ill, but they haven't been told more. This is a ya journey through a parent's discovery of cancer and its impact on the family.

Characters are a joy to meet as described by Canadian author, Jean Little. Believable and true to age depicte
Nina Mielke
Jul 07, 2008 Nina Mielke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeremy und Sarah machen Urlaub im Ferienhaus. Doch in diesem Jahr ist etwas anders: Sie verbringen ihren Urlaub nicht mit Mama und Papa, sondern mit ihrer Tante. Das liegt daran, dass Jeremys Vater (ein Lehrer) vor den Ferien plötzlich ins Krankenhaus musste. Jeremy und seine Schwester wissen nicht, was der Vater für eine Krankheit hat und wünschen sich nichts sehnlicher, als dass er schnell wieder gesund.
Sarah ist noch zu klein um all das zu verstehen, doch die Mutter vertraut Jeremy an, dass d
Rebekah
Oct 05, 2015 Rebekah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler) ...more
Fred Ann
Through Jerem'y experiences we experience, the death of his father, the undertaking of getting a kitten, the death of a chickadee and how experiences such as these cause us to mature developing a broader understanding of life. AS Jeremy matures he make a friend of a friendless girl who is alone as his understanding of being an individual develops. definitely a A good read!
Shannon
Aug 05, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as a teenager and remembered liking it, so I picked it up again recently. I really enjoyed it, but it is a sad book. Good book for teenagers dealing with loss.
Meaghan Ethier
Jun 21, 2013 Meaghan Ethier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice story.
Sunny
Sep 28, 2008 Sunny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
many opstacles can come through life!!!!!!
Stephanie
Jun 10, 2007 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jean Little is a thoroughly gifted adolescent-fiction writer. Also check out 'Look Through My Window.'
Debbie Tanner
Mar 22, 2012 Debbie Tanner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super sad story but great characters that are very believable. If a child is dealing with cancer in their family, this would be a great book to recommend.
Katie
Feb 16, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was in middle school. Really good easy to read.
Chelsea C
Jan 16, 2014 Chelsea C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, owned
I absolutely love this book, it's one of my childhood favourites.
Emma
Feb 09, 2010 Emma rated it liked it
Not one of my favourites ... to be completely honest. Still a good read, it almost made me cry. To me it was lacking that "Jean-Little-charm" I'm so used to.
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2011
Ali Hanes
Ali Hanes rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2017
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Ven
Ven rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2011
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2014
Carolina
Carolina rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Neelam Patel
Neelam Patel rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2017
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Brittany
Brittany rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2016
Tamarah
Tamarah rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
Westcoast_girl
Westcoast_girl rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Shell
Shell rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2008
Bianca Marvel
Bianca Marvel rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2009
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2012
Jeannette ★
Jeannette ★ rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2012
Mallory
Mallory rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Handful of Time
  • Shadow in Hawthorn Bay
  • With Love From Booky (Booky, #2)
  • The Maestro
  • Terry: Terry Fox and His Marathon of Hope
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • Night Kites
  • Underground to Canada
  • Where the River Takes Me: The Hudson's Bay Company Diary of Jenna Sinclair (Dear Canada)
  • Z Is For Zamboni: A Hockey Alphabet
  • A Season for Miracles
  • In Flanders Fields: The Story of the Poem by John McCrae
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • I Want to Go Home!
Jean Little is a Canadian author, born in Taiwan. Her work has mainly consisted of children's literature, but she has also written two autobiographies: Little by Little and Stars Come Out Within. Little has been partially blind since birth as a result of scars on her cornea and is frequently accompanied by a guide dog.
More about Jean Little...