Mama's Going to Buy You a Mockingbird

Mama's Going to Buy You a Mockingbird

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A Jean Little Classic

Jeremy is not having a good summer. His best friends have moved away, and he has to stay at the cottage with only his little sister and Aunt Margery. His parents have remained in the city so his father can have an operation.

When Jeremy finally sees him again, he finds out that his father has cancer and isn't going to get better. Suddenly, everything is...more
Paperback
Published July 29th 2005 by Puffin Canada (first published August 20th 1985)

Jasmine
I fucking love this book even now that I'm old enough to use the word "fucking."
writer...
5 stars for the inviting cover and for the classic Jean Little content.

Sensitive treatment of 11 year old Jeremy and his younger sister, summer vacationing at the lake with their paternal aunt, whilst waiting expectantly for their parents' to join them. Father is ill, but they haven't been told more. This is a ya journey through a parent's discovery of cancer and its impact on the family.

Characters are a joy to meet as described by Canadian author, Jean Little. Believable and true to age depicte...more
Fred Ann
Through Jerem'y experiences we experience, the death of his father, the undertaking of getting a kitten, the death of a chickadee and how experiences such as these cause us to mature developing a broader understanding of life. AS Jeremy matures he make a friend of a friendless girl who is alone as his understanding of being an individual develops. definitely a A good read!
Nina Mielke
Jeremy und Sarah machen Urlaub im Ferienhaus. Doch in diesem Jahr ist etwas anders: Sie verbringen ihren Urlaub nicht mit Mama und Papa, sondern mit ihrer Tante. Das liegt daran, dass Jeremys Vater (ein Lehrer) vor den Ferien plötzlich ins Krankenhaus musste. Jeremy und seine Schwester wissen nicht, was der Vater für eine Krankheit hat und wünschen sich nichts sehnlicher, als dass er schnell wieder gesund.
Sarah ist noch zu klein um all das zu verstehen, doch die Mutter vertraut Jeremy an, dass d...more
Chelsea C
I absolutely love this book, it's one of my childhood favourites.
Emma
Not one of my favourites ... to be completely honest. Still a good read, it almost made me cry. To me it was lacking that "Jean-Little-charm" I'm so used to.
Debbie Tanner
Super sad story but great characters that are very believable. If a child is dealing with cancer in their family, this would be a great book to recommend.
Stephanie
Jean Little is a thoroughly gifted adolescent-fiction writer. Also check out 'Look Through My Window.'
Sunny
many opstacles can come through life!!!!!!
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Pei Halpern
Pei Halpern is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2014
Yvonne Spoon
Yvonne Spoon marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Dvd
Dvd added it
May 23, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Lexie
Lexie added it
May 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Jean Little is a Canadian author, born in Taiwan. Her work has mainly consisted of children's literature, but she has also written two autobiographies: Little by Little and Stars Come Out Within. Little has been partially blind since birth as a result of scars on her cornea and is frequently accompanied by a guide dog.
More about Jean Little...
Orphan at My Door: The Home Child Diary of Victoria Cope From Anna Brothers Far From Home: The World War I Diary of Eliza Bates (Dear Canada) If I Die Before I Wake: The Flu Epidemic Diary of Fiona Macgregor (Dear Canada) Mine for Keeps