Start by marking “Les Huit Coups de l'horloge (Arsène Lupin, #11)” as Want to Read:
Les Huit Coups de l'horloge (Arsène Lupin, #11)

Read Book* *Different edition

Les Huit Coups de l'horloge (Arsène Lupin #11)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  360 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Selected by Ellery Queen as one of the 125 most important books of detective-crime-mystery short stories!

THE EIGHT STROKES OF THE CLOCK

"These adventures were told to me in the old days by Ars?ne Lupin, as though they had happened to a friend of his, named Prince R?nine. As for me, considering the way in which they were conducted, the actions, the behaviour and the very

Broché, 32 pages
Published October 24th 2006 by Clé international (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Les Huit Coups de l'horloge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les Huit Coups de l'horloge

Michelle Wei
Nov 13, 2014 Michelle Wei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good for Sherlock Holmes fans. It's a short read, but very much worth it. The beginning was a little slow; however after the initial adventure, everything just passes very fast. I hope Hortenese and Renine end up together as it does not say so at the end of the book. I liked how it wasn't a endless book full of mysteries and how Renine could solve them quickly and efficiently. Although he could have gone on and seen the ending of some of the peoples' stories, he stopped when he wanted to an ...more
Dave Holcomb
Mar 20, 2014 Dave Holcomb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What fun! A reformed criminal, now masquerading as a millionaire prince, has taken up a new life as a sort of fixer, solving crimes instead of committing them. In the first of the eight adventures here he meets a young woman who is desperate to change her life: he invites her to join him in his exploits, no strings attached, for one year. She agrees, although with some reservations, and Hortense and the Prince work their way through seven more cases together. Fast moving, intelligent, and -- for ...more
Ag
Apr 29, 2016 Ag rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eight strokes of the clock, eight adventures, eight short stories featuring prince Rénine (Lupin) and Hortense Daniel. The mysteries are not as complex as in other novels, but the book is, as always, quite an agreeable read.
Pamela
Jan 22, 2016 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Lupin, and I really enjoyed it. The setup was silly, but the mysteries were good enough. We aren't talking Sherlock Holmes, but they were better than most of this time period.
Mary Schildman
Jan 19, 2016 Mary Schildman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Language love

This book was written when the love of language was important. Almost a romance of words. Loved it. A group of short stories or adventures, some what old fashion but enjoyable.
Katie
Feb 01, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prince Renine (AKA Arsene Lupin) is an amateur detective who teams up with a lady named Hortense Daniel. While exploring an old tower, they discover a clock that strikes eight after Renine removes a telescope from inside it. So Renine asks Hortense to assist him in eight adventures, ranging from a stolen piece of jewelry to an insane murderer that almost kills Hortense. Renine cleverly solves all of the mysteries, though he often resorts to less lawful methods such as using false evidence to get ...more
Hayat Elhouari
Oct 10, 2014 Hayat Elhouari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un plaisir pour les amateurs de nouvelles policières.
Janet
Feb 03, 2016 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eight amusing stories tied together and a happy ending.
Spenser Barranco
Jan 18, 2016 Spenser Barranco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gruesome, but awesome!
Christophe
Jun 02, 2013 Christophe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Huit aventures du prince Rénine, alias Arsène Lupin. Il entreprend de résoudre les énigmes des cinq femmes retrouvées mortes, d'une agrafe de corsage disparue depuis des années, de prouver l'innocence d'un homme, de retrouver sa nouvelle et charmante compagne Hortense Daniel qui a disparu...
Emmanuel
Aug 29, 2011 Emmanuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, queen-quorum
Arsène Lupin, sous le nom de Prince Rénine, prend une compagne d'aventure pour huit énigmes, autant que de coups d'horloges. Chaque mystère est d"un simplicité confondante mais seul Rénine parvient à trouver le fil pour le ravissement de sa jeune compagne.
Tatra
Jun 19, 2015 Tatra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun one. Under the name Lupin or not, I still liked the character and I loved the whole adventure plot. It almost reminded me of Doctor Who. And it took me 14 books to realize that Leblanc is the narrator in the whole series.
Rose
Mar 27, 2008 Rose added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I read this in one go and enjoyed it. Of course, there was a "just-so" element, with feats that were a little too amazing, but I expected that. I thought it would be more of a typical Lupin book, so that surprised me.
Jack
Nov 18, 2011 Jack rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The way this story was structured, with discrete sub-plots, made it difficult for me to get into. I have some more of his books on my Kindle which I hope will be better
Christina
Feb 01, 2012 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was like a French Sherlock Holmes! 8 mystries all in one. If you like detective books, you will love this one!
Marts  (Thinker)
Prince Renine alias Arsene Lupin is here assisted in eight adventures by Hortense Daniel.
Lacey
Sep 05, 2012 Lacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read of 8 mysteries in one book. Like Sherlock Holmes only French! A great book, I really enjoyed it!
Alli
Feb 16, 2013 Alli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think I found my new (old and dead) favourite author!!
Rosa
Entertaining mystery/romance.
Astrid Falkenberg
Astrid Falkenberg marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Lican Cosmin
Lican Cosmin marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Melissa Kitano
Melissa Kitano marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Alexandra Watkins
Alexandra Watkins is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2016
Satu
Satu marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Michele Carolla
Michele Carolla rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Andréa
Andréa rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Nathalie
Nathalie rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Sahar Hassine
Sahar Hassine marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
  • The Middle Temple Murder
  • John Thorndyke's Cases
  • At The Villa Rose
  • Le parfum de la dame en noir
  • Monsieur Lecoq
  • The Judge's House
  • The Gentle Grafter (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press)
  • Oms en série
  • Regain
  • Charlie Chan Carries On (Charlie Chan, #5)
  • Der Richter (Lucky Luke, Bd. 31)
  • Aranmanoth
  • A Thief in the Night
  • Ma vie est tout à fait fascinante
  • The Queen of Hearts
  • The Clue of the Twisted Candle
  • La Zone du Dehors
  • Edad Prohibida
Maurice Leblanc began as a journalist, until asked to write a short story filler, and gentleman thief (later detective) Arsène Lupin, more gallant and dashing than English counterpart Sherlock Holmes.
More about Maurice Leblanc...

Arsène Lupin (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin)
  • Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes (Arsène Lupin, #2)
  • L'aiguille creuse (Arsène Lupin, #3)
  • Arsène Lupin in 813 (Arsène Lupin, #4)
  • 813 / La double vie d'Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #4.1)
  • 813 / Les Trois Crimes d'Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #4.1)
  • The Crystal Stopper (Arsène Lupin, #5)
  • The Confessions of Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #6)
  • L'Éclat d'obus
  • The Golden Triangle (Arsène Lupin, #8)