Start by marking “Meet Me at Jim and Andy's: Jazz Musicians and Their World” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Meet Me at Jim and And...

Graham Lees

Meet Me at Jim and Andy's: Jazz Musicians and Their World

Gene Lees, author of the highly acclaimed Singers and the Song, offers, in Meet Me at Jim and Andy's, another tightly integrated collection of essays about post-War American music. This time he focuses on major jazz instrumentalists and bandleaders.
Jim and Andy's, on 48th Street just west of Sixth Avenue, was one of four New York musicians' haunts in the 1960s--the others
Published October 20th 1988 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Meet Me at Jim and Andy's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Me at Jim and Andy's

Stu West
May 08, 2011 Stu West rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOLY GOD this was an incredible book. I'm dying to recommend it to people but I know I'll get about as far as "I read this amazing collection of essays about jazz..." and that will be that.

The author writes about all aspects of the jazz world, from the hilarity of boozed-up players in their favoured NYC drinking hole of the '60s, to the heroin addiction, suicide and, in one case, murder that blighted the scene. He writes beautifully about the people and the craft and the life, and he held me spe
Tuck
i don't know, i shoulda been reading this Memoirs of a Geezer: Music, Mayhem, Life and this Kids of the Black Hole: Punk Rock in Post-Suburban California and this Out of the Vinyl Deeps: Ellen Willis on Rock Music instead of Lees, but oh well, this book had some, sort of entertaining stories and insights in to drug/jazz culture, back in the day.
Sonny
May 31, 2013 Sonny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I seem to stand alone on this one.....I was hoping for a looser oral history of jazz Reminiscences somewhat like 'Jazz Anecdote's' by the great Gerry Mulligan bassist Bill Crow. I have been a Jazz programmer and fan of the music for 3 decades, but I am not a musician. I can appreciate the author's skill in braking down music note by note, but it is boring and pompous sounding to those of us who don't play. I was very entertained by the more human exchanges that actually took place at the various ...more
Joshua
Jul 15, 2012 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book of long essays written by a composer and journalist. Reminisces about such musicians as Art Farmer, BIll Evans, Billie Taylor, Gerry Mulligan, Dave Brubeck, Duke, Paul Desmond, actress/singer Judy Holiday, and the various hangouts for jazz musicians like Jim and Andy's and Charlie's and other places I wish I had been able to visit.
Jim Thomas
Aug 11, 2015 Jim Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Insight into the lives of some jazz legends. For any jazz fan
Anders
Jan 25, 2008 Anders rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-books
I wish the introductory chapter, a description and brief history of the old NYC professional musicians' hangout, Jim & Andy's, filled a book all on its own.
Daniel Saenz
Daniel Saenz rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2010
Frank
Frank rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Skip Heller
Skip Heller rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Garret
Garret rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2010
Mike Lynch
Mike Lynch rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2010
Mike Mariniello
Mike Mariniello rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Cooch
Cooch rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2013
M. Allen
M. Allen rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2008
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2009
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 24, 2011
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
May 09, 2012
Warren
Warren marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
Victor Caamaño
Victor Caamaño marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Gregg
Gregg marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Kirsten Nisula
Kirsten Nisula marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Sir
Sir marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
TheOlderGentleman
TheOlderGentleman marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Jordan Costa
Jordan Costa marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Bethany Fair
Bethany Fair marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Nicholas Biondo
Nicholas Biondo marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Dóra
Dóra marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Ilya Likhachev
Ilya Likhachev marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Rachael Colling
Rachael Colling marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2016