Start by marking “You Can Be My Friend” as Want to Read:
You Can Be My Friend

You Can Be My Friend (Charlie & Lola)

Lola is excited because she is going to spend the afternoon with Morten, the little brother of Charlie’s best friend. Lola has planned out the entire afternoon with fun and games, but her hopes are dashed when she discovers that Morten is so shy he won’t even speak! Lola tries everything she can think of to get Morten to break out of his shell, but nothing does the trick. ...more
Published December 27th 2007 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about You Can Be My Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Be My Friend

Drew Graham
Oct 20, 2016 Drew Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Lola is excited because Charlie's friend Marv is coming over and bringing along his little brother, Morten. But what if Morten and Lola don't hit it off? Will they have the most awkward play date ever??

This was a fun C&L selection about getting along with people who have different interests than yours. I've definitely known a Morten or two in my day (does that make me a Lola? There are worse things to be), and there's almost always common ground to be discovered. I will say that Round and Ro
Vivian
Mar 17, 2014 Vivian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love all the Charlie & Lola stories.

This story is works great with two performers. One takes the part of Lola.

After finishing the story try this action verse the story time crowd...

Whoops, Alice
Hold up your hand with fingers spread wide. With the pointing finger of your other hand touch the thumb and say
“Alice”.
Slide the finger up to the pointing finger while saying
“Whoops!”
Touch each of the four fingers, saying
“Alice, Alice, Alice, Alice”.
Repeat this using the children’s names, asking “w
Jenny
Oct 13, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story about compromise and the rewards of good effort as Lola, in her typical boisterous style, tries to befriend a new shy boy who doesn't talk at first. She's about to give up when suddenly he finds something she does funny. They finally have a connection and things seem to go great but then another twist, he loves a game she finds incredibly boring. She is good sport and plays, but the face she makes is hilarious. Lauren Child's illustrations are very clever, and Charlie and Lola are ...more
Leila T.
Feb 05, 2011 Leila T. rated it liked it
I always love Charlie and Lola books, but I felt this one was a bit let down by its choice of illustrations---it's a book based off of a tv episode, so there should be (and are) loads of different magical scenes to choose for the book, but instead it's very tame, and even includes two consecutive spreads of the kids sitting at a table for snacktime (as opposed to a different layout/imagery). Disappointing really.
Whole And
"Morten doesn't say anything!"
Lola is having a hard time connecting with Morten although she's tried everything UNTIL she plays the round and round game Morten likes. The ice breaker was playing something Morten liked, not just what Lola wanted to do.

A great book to assist a child that's having a challenge connecting with someone and open them up to doing what someone else wants to do, in balance and at the right time, and creating a lasting friendship.

Rachel Inbar
Mar 08, 2012 Rachel Inbar rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Age 3+
My daughter who is just turning 7 read this alone easily. I saw some of the other reviews and understand why some people might not like it, but this is true Charlie and Lola style, where the story doesn't have to be complex. It just has to resolve itself in a positive way - and this one did that.

I think the book teaches kids that sometimes even when they try their very best, things don't always work out - and, on the other hand, sometimes when you're not even trying things do work out.
Dolly
Feb 12, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, english, 2010
Cute book about making friends, compromises and finding things you have in common with a new friend. Charlie and Lola stories are guaranteed pleasers in our house (especially if I don't read it in my very fake English accent!) We've read this one a couple of times.
jacky
May 09, 2012 jacky rated it liked it
Charlie and Lola are now one of my go to series at the library, even though we don't watch the show. These books are always cute with some clever creativity. I really like how Child captures the spunk of Lola. This one is less funny than some of the others. Instead, this one is about Lola's presonality presisting over a shy new friend's resistence.
Josiah
Dec 15, 2009 Josiah rated it did not like it
It's always fun to see Morten Lowe, and this is the book adaptation of the first time that he and Lola meet. There are some fun spots in the book, as there were in the episode of the Charlie & Lola television series, and I would increase my rating to one and a half stars.
Nicola
May 28, 2016 Nicola rated it really liked it
Shelves: england, kiddos
This is a sweet book about compromise and befriending someone who you think is different from you.
I love all of Lauren Child's illustrations, the pictures mixed in with drawings. The colors are so vibrant and of course Lola is just so quirky. Fun books, my girls have always loved them.
Alamoliz
Aug 01, 2008 Alamoliz rated it liked it
Lola is challenged in befriending a boy who is the brother of Charlie's friend. It's ok in showing the need for friends to be willing to try things that may not be favorites, in order to strike up a friendship that is mutually satisfying.
Liz
Oct 29, 2012 Liz rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2012-13
Had not read a "Charlie and Lola" book and did not realize it was a tv series... illustrations were from the tv animation. Lola and Marten become friends...
Huda
Jul 31, 2010 Huda rated it it was ok
Shelves: en-pic-books
I don't think I got it
Charlie's friend brings his little brother with him
but
He doesn't like to talk much

What would Lola do about that?
Claudia Tapia
Claudia Tapia rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Mohammad
Mohammad rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2012
Alison Coffey
Alison Coffey rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2008
Mary Beth Wolf
Mary Beth Wolf rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2010
Hayley
Hayley rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2013
elle and esme gosling
elle and esme gosling rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Joanna
Joanna rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2010
Jenn
Jenn rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2008
Chiara Tytko
Chiara Tytko rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Nico Larocco
Nico Larocco rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2009
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Bea
Bea rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2011
C.M
C.M rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2012
lisa
lisa rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • I Can Do Anything That's Everything All On My Own
  • It's Earth Day!
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • Hello, Red Fox
  • SpongeBob's Easter Parade
  • Jamaica's Find
  • Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the Last Day of Kindergarten
  • Fidgety Fish
  • You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
  • Hungry Hen
  • Winnie in Winter
  • Good Enough to Eat: A Kid's Guide to Food and Nutrition
  • School Days (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa #3)
  • Zoomer's Summer Snowstorm
42016
Lauren Child grew up in Wiltshire as the middle child of three sisters and the daughter of two teachers. She has always been interested in the many aspects of childhood, from gazing into toy shop windows to watching American children's shows from the 1960s. After attending two Art Schools, where Lauren admits that she did not learn much, she travelled for six months, still unsure about which ...more
More about Lauren Child...

Charlie & Lola (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato