Start by marking “The Portable Faulkner” as Want to Read:
The Portable Faulkner

The Portable Faulkner

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In prose of biblical grandeur and feverish intensity, William Faulkner reconstructed the history of the American South as a tragic legend of courage and cruelty, gallantry and greed, futile nobility and obscene crimes. No single volume better conveys the scope of Faulkner's vision than The Portable Faulkner.

Edited by Malcolm Cowley

Contents:
The Old People
The Unvanquished
T
Paperback, 2nd Revised Edition, 650 pages
Published February 25th 2003 by Penguin Books (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Portable Faulkner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portable Faulkner

The Master
Stories. They endured.
matt

If you're curious about the powers of William Faulkner but you're intimidated by his long, loopy sentences and dense structures (which is totally understandable) then THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU.

Cowley's introduction (eloquent, informative) was praised as "splendid" by Faulkner himself.

The selections are generous, form a larger social narrative, are representative of his work in a larger context but can be read as separate peices all their own. Short stories, excerpts from novels, even a detailed c
Tyler
The best and worst of Faulkner. You get the simple poignancy of the Compson family stories, the spooky 'Southern Gothic' in pieces like "A Rose For Emily," but also the needlessly incomprehensible rambling in "Spotted Horses."
Hamish
Unlike most of the Viking Portables, which are just an anthology of a particular author or group's work, the Portable Faulkner actually serves a useful purpose. As you probably know, most of Faulkner's work takes place in the fictional Yoknapatawpha County, Mississippi, and this volume collects stories and novel excerpts that give you a sense of the county's history, and arranges them chronologically (by the order in which they took place, not by the order in which Faulkner wrote them). If (like ...more
Ted
Feb 17, 2012 Ted rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Faulkner fans/those with a strong curiosity about Faulkner
I think I've read most of the stuff in here, probably not all. But the rating and review are specifically for The Bear, which I read years ago, and a second time (at least) much more recently.

The Bear is a terrific long short story (novella, if you will) which is very representative of Faulkner's writing in many ways: the setting, the language, the stream of consciousness style in certain places, the references to the history of his mythical Mississippi county. Even though I'm sure I got more ou
Suzi
Apr 10, 2008 Suzi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Doreen Nidey
Recommended to Suzi by: came from luck out of the ether
I highly recommend Malcolm Cowley's slicing, dicing and rearranging the highlights of Faulkner's works. Faulkner himself was very impressed with his editor's vision of his works, and said so. This book is the best way to dive into Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha (god help with the spelling of that world) County. Because Faulkner re-wrote so many things, literary overlaps, that Cowley parsed and cut and put together this indispensable book. It has the Bear and Spotted Horses and all the historical tales ...more
Andy
Some reading is effortless, even some of Faulkner's writings. However, the first stories in this historically-ordered collection -- because they delve into truly foreign cultures/peoples in old Mississippi -- are kinda tricky. One day I couldn't make heads or tails of the dialog, and then the next it would click. I think it is like being someone who appreciates lots of different styles of music -- I know I don't listen to a whole opera, a great Mingus/Ellington jazz suite, hours of alt/indie roc ...more
Derrick Biederman
This is a collection of stories from several novels and shorts set in Faulkner's brainchild of Yoknapatawpha County. There are several stories, some stand-outs being "The Courthouse", "Was", "A Rose for Emily" and the "The Bear". "The Bear" in particular took my breath away.

This collection would be a great way for someone new to Faulkner to break into his sometimes dense writing style, as the stories are collected from different sources and, though ordered chronologically (by setting, not publi
Dan
magisterial, sometimes verbose. this book shows how all of his tales tie together, building a self-contained, convincing and emotive world, within mississippi, over several generations. in that sense it offers more than reading a single faulkner novel. the commentary (malcolm cowley) itself is a small work of art. to my impatient mind, some of the excerpts should have been more aggressively edited, some of the prose is purple, some of the themes are focused to a degree that invites parody (decli ...more
Timothy J
A great starting point for those who have never read Faulkner and imtimated by his reutation. Malcom Cowley's introduction a must before reading the book, which consists of short stories and selections from novels.

Stories and selections are arranged in chronological order as events occur in the fiction. This aids the reader in understanding the complex relation of events and characters that occur in Faulkner's fictional Yoknapotawha County. Faulkner had not written or published the stories in th
Dana
Faulkner's great!
VJ
I hated this book.
Michael
Read this at my great grandmother's house when I was 19 (found it on my dad's old shelf of college books). One of the best books I've ever read in my life. "The Bear" and "Old Man" are worth it. Plus everything else. Kudos to Cowley.
Theresa
If you haven't read Faulkner, this is the way to do it. The notes are as interesting as the stories, and the collection covers a good range of his work. "A Rose for Emily" and "An Odor of Verbena" are two particular favorites of mine.
TJ
Apr 28, 2012 TJ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: classics
Picked this up because my dad loved Faulkner. Most of his stories are good, but a few make me go wtf? Decided to split reading the book in half to rest my brain.
Overall a great read. Truly love Faulkner. Good collection of stories
Gabriel
This is a great collection, and also the book that put Faulkner on the map. Malcolm Cowley is a remarkable man, and Faulkner was lucky to have him. Otherwise, who knows? Would anyone have read The Sound and the Fury?
Katherine Jensen
When I bought this I did not realize that it had excerpts from his books. This is a good beginning for those who have never read him. Some of his writing is difficult to understand and this skips the difficult parts.
Tom Schulte
Faulkner is one of my favorite nonfiction authors. His notoriously difficult reading opens doors to extreme and fantastic worlds. This collection is shorts and excerpts
Robin
Jan 01, 2013 Robin added it
Shelves: favorites
A fantastic, demanding read. Well worth it for the editor's notes. I did not know that Faulkner tied so many of his stories together with the same characters and places.
§--
My first experience of Faulkner. Lot of good memories of this book, especially reading it aloud to my friend Chad while he was in the shower. Don't ask.
Mark Singer
What I remember most about reading Faulkner is the need for plenty of time and solitude to get into his world.
I really need to read this again...
Chris Swann
Five stars simply for "The Bear," one of Faulkner's masterpieces. Otherwise, four stars for the collection as a whole.
Andrew
Jul 11, 2010 Andrew added it
The introduction was great; I can't wait to dig in to the rest.
Kevin Lucia
Nov 23, 2013 Kevin Lucia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
My first non-genre reading selection of the summer....
Lynda
Read as background for Am. Lit. class in college.
Jeff
Essential to help you understand Faulkner and his world.
Thomas Walsh
required reading for any fan of Faulkner
Harvey
GREAT indroduction to Faulkner.
Brent
I was rooting for the bear.
Cray Allred
good, thorough
  • One Matchless Time: A Life of William Faulkner
  • The Road Through the Wall
  • Eudora Welty: A Biography
  • The Collected Short Stories
  • The Lonely Hunter: A Biography of Carson McCullers
  • Negro with a Hat: The Rise and Fall of Marcus Garvey and His Dream of Mother Africa
  • The Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Selected Stories
  • The Rise of Life on Earth
  • Selected Tales (Penguin Classics)
  • The Complete Fiction of Nella Larsen: Passing, Quicksand, and The Stories
  • State of Grace
  • Raven: The Untold Story of the Rev. Jim Jones and His People
  • Short Story Masterpieces
  • Leave Her to Heaven
  • The Cambridge Companion to Gothic Fiction
  • Pale Horse, Pale Rider
William Cuthbert Faulkner was a Nobel Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer. One of the most influential writers of the twentieth century, his reputation is based mostly on his novels, novellas, and short stories. He was also a published poet and an occasional screenwriter.
The majority of his works are based in his native state of Mississippi. Though his work was published as earl
More about William Faulkner...
The Sound and the Fury As I Lay Dying Light in August Absalom, Absalom! A Rose for Emily