Start by marking “Castle Waiting: Lucky Road” as Want to Read:
Castle Waiting: Lucky Road

Castle Waiting: Lucky Road

A fable for modern times, Castle Waiting tells the story of an isolated, abandoned castle, and the eccentric inhabitants who bring it back to life. It's a fairy tale that's not about rescuing the princess, saving the kingdom, or fighting the ultimate war between Good and Evil... but about being a hero in your own home.
Published August 27th 2002 by Olio Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Castle Waiting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castle Waiting

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
486th out of 2,303 books — 5,411 voters

More lists with this book...

Miriam
Aug 26, 2016 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, graphic
More like a beginning than a stand-alone story -- but a good beginning.
I'm looking forward to finding out what the various backstories are.
Leslie (Working for the Mandroid)
I think this book needs the context from the Omnibus version to be a more compelling and interesting story. I'm going to check out the rest of the series because so many people love it, but with just these stories, I didn't get it.
Misty
In the middle of my reading for Fairy Tale Fortnight, I was craving some graphic novels. It had been awhile, and my fingers were itching for them. And then I opened up my Google Reader one day, and the Polish Outlander had posted a bunch of graphic novels; I popped over to Goodreads to mark some of them "to-read" and came across another one she was reading that hadn't been in the post: Castle Waiting, Volume Two. The title - and her enthusiasm for the story - hooked me, and I immediately went to ...more
Trebro
Jan 01, 2008 Trebro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tradepaperbacks
A quirky reconstruction of several fairy tales given an updating to use more modern women, these issues of Castle Waiting tell the story of Jain, a woman who runs from her abusive husband towards a Castle sanctuary of others who have no place in the regular world--a stork, a coarse and bearded nun, and a rather amorous two-legged horse. The dialogue is top notch and the art is perfect for the plot--they are drawn just like out of an old fairy tale book, not too simple and not too stylistic as to ...more
Hannah Givens
Feb 12, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it it was amazing
Steeped in fairy tales, mysterious characters and classic settings. Laugh-out-loud funny, especially when modern humor and sarcasm are tossed into a fairy-tale world. Love stylized, detailed artistry. Mysterious. A bit hard to find, but worth finding.
Richard Hernandez
Nov 25, 2015 Richard Hernandez rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and whimsical fairy tale that I thoroughly enjoyed. Beautiful art, intriguing storylines, and interesting characters who feel real, and are easy to care about.
Kimberly
I can't believe how much I liked this book! I have never read a single graphic novel in my entire life. I had to read this for a school project and I was not really looking forward to it, yet after the first few pages I was hooked and very disappointed when it ended. I can't find any of the sequels, or even if Linda Medley has written/drawn any more after this one (although I did get the prequel through ILL). It's just such a happy book with some really neat characters. Publisher's Weekly called ...more
May
Nov 25, 2009 May rated it liked it
The book tells the story of a pregnant princess, Lady Jain, who seeks sanctuary in an abandoned castle filled with fantastical creatures and humans who have also sought refuge there. Having just read the first volume, The Lucky Road, I have to say that this book is highly intriguing for a fantasy that doesn't feature extreme violence, suggestive circumstances or outlandish action sequences. Truth be told, I liked this book almost as much I enjoyed Bill Willingham's Fables for the simple reason t ...more
Ken-ichi
Jul 06, 2010 Ken-ichi rated it it was ok
Castle Waiting is frequently mentioned in the same breath as Jeff Smith's Bone series, so I've always wanted to check it out. Like Bone, it's kid-oriented fantasy with likable characters and harmless banter, but unlike Bone, there's very little mystery, none of the darker themes that leave lasting imprints, and, well, just not a lot of the kind of magic that makes comics special. Why is the protagonist pregnant? Why does her kid of a pig nose? What exactly is wrong with this world, or everything ...more
Sheila
Mar 28, 2008 Sheila rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy readers in middle school
Recommended to Sheila by: Sherry Guice's list of good gn
Shelves: graphic-novels
A fun, fairy tale read that chronicles the journey of Lady Jain, whose life at the beginning of the story is not so "happily-ever-after." She embarks on a journey and finds refuge in Castle Waiting, a wondrous & mythical place inhabited by eccentric folks who take her in. I know there are sequels to her tale and I'm intrigued by what life has in store for Jain! I can easily "sell" this graphic novel to the middle school fantasy lovers.
Rachel
Jul 19, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Fun and sweet but without a lot of agency.
Edna
Oct 21, 2009 Edna rated it liked it
Interesting mix of human and animal characters in a medieval setting with modern social behavior and conversation and featuring a pregnant princess seeking "sanctuary" in a castle. Like a lot of graphic novels, the book starts in the middle of a story which, for me, is a hook to find out not only what is happening, but what has happened. I'm ready to read volume two!
charlotte
Feb 19, 2013 charlotte rated it liked it
Interesting, but not much happens. If you are expecting a lot of plot, high stakes, or big revelations, Castle Waiting is not the place for you. On the other hand, if you enjoy quirky characters, clever fairy tale allusions, and anthropomorphic horses, check it out. I'm intrigued enough to read more the Castle Waiting series.
Michael
Mar 11, 2008 Michael rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sarah
Shelves: 2008_read
There was a thread on the Warren Ellis Forums (WEF) a few years hence listing some of the great graphic novels available at that time. I finally have time to traverse this list.

Good start with Castle Waiting. Nothing actually happens, but it does nothing with class and beauty.

-m
Matt
Jul 09, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
A perfect book. Medley has created a world that is instantly familiar, endearing, and real out of fairy and folktales. The residents of Castle Waiting immediately wormed their way into my heart and made me feel like a kid again.
Laura Leonard
Mar 18, 2009 Laura Leonard rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, fantasy
Lady Jain sets out to find shelter at Castle Waiting, the enchanted castle her father often spoke of. She has a secret and needs a new home. Upon arriving at Castle Waiting Jain is welcomed into a group of rag-tag outcasts.
Kylie
Jun 24, 2009 Kylie rated it it was ok
I couldn't remember why this was on my to-read list, so I just picked it up at the library for a quick one hour read. Nothing special, and I still can't remember why I wanted to read it in the first place.
Pturingan
Sep 26, 2010 Pturingan rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, borrowed
Light-hearted, feel-good reading. Just the break I needed from reading ultra-violent Vertigo collections like Northlanders and 100 Bullets.
Husti
Dec 17, 2009 Husti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una interpretación muy amena e interesante del esquema de un cuento de hadas clásico. A ver qué tal el segundo volumen.
Shanna
Feminist. Graphic Novel. Fairy tale. The magic trinity of awesomeness.
Heather
Dec 23, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: read2007
Jain is on a journey to a safe place for her and her child.
Graphic novel.
Elena
Nice and peaceful. Feminist-friendly but not gypsy-friendly.
Elizabeth
Nice enough fairytalesque story. Interested to see where it's going.
charlotte Phillips
re-read january 2008
Hadas Tsury
Hadas Tsury rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Lou
Lou added it
Sep 11, 2016
Rodrigo
Rodrigo rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Dimitris
Dimitris marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Maria Therese
Maria Therese rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2016
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 12: Grasscutter (Usagi Yojimbo, #12)
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Ends of the Earth
  • Myth Adventures Two: From the Novel, Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (grapic novel)
  • ElfQuest: Wolfrider Volume 2
  • Whiteout: Melt
  • Flight, Vol. 5 (Flight, #5)
Linda Medley is the author of the acclaimed Castle Waiting graphic novel, published by Fantagraphics Books. A freelance illustrator since 1985, Linda Medley has illustrated children's books for Putnam, Grosset & Dunlap, Houghton-Mifflin, and Western Publishing. Linda has worked in the comics industry as a penciller, inker, painter, colorist and sculptor. Her pencilling work includes stints on ...more
More about Linda Medley...