Start by marking “The Everything Classical Mythology Book: Greek and Roman Gods, Goddesses, Heroes, and Monsters from Ares to Zeus” as Want to Read:

Entertaining and educational, The Everything Classical Mythology Book is a superb introduction to ancient Greek and Roman mythology. For those of us who cannot recount the twelve labours of Hercules, how Odysseus tricked the Trojans, why the phrase Achilles Heel' was first coined, or how Medusa was slain, this comprehensive volume will provide answers to these and hundreds ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Adams Media Corporation

To ask other readers questions about The Everything Classical Mythology Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Everything Classical Mythology Book

So Hakim
Feb 01, 2010 So Hakim rated it really liked it
Shelves: culture
Nice introductory course to Greek and Roman mythology. I personally find it geared toward young adults, but older may reap benefit as well. About the only drawback: it doesn't tell much about individual heroes like Achilles and Jason, however, The Olympian Gods are very well introduced.
Ashti
Sep 24, 2008 Ashti rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Greek Mythology way back in 1990 and it will forever be a love mine!!!

I love this book because if I were to write a book on the subject, it will be like this entertaining guide that explains all the great myths and explores how they have influenced language, art, music, psychology and even todays popular culture!!!
Lorri
Feb 02, 2011 Lorri rated it really liked it
Written like a playful encyclopedia, this book helped me understand Greek and Roman mythology better. However, it also helped me discover that Greek and Roman mythology is much more sexually violent than I had remembered from learning it in 6th grade. Go figure. Of course, that has nothing to do with the quality of this book, hence the 4 stars.
Michelle
Dec 03, 2010 Michelle rated it liked it
I was converted to this Everything series when I was studying to test out of college history. I loved the summaries, timelines, pictures, and witty writing. This book wasn't quite as exciting in its presentation, but it was great to get to know more about Greek mythology without having to dig through it myself. :)
Jillian
Jan 05, 2011 Jillian rated it liked it
I found this book to be a comprehensive and engaging guide to all things Greek Mythology. Unlike most reference books, this one was written in a way that comes off as entertaining. I was actually able to sit and read the entire book, and retain all of the information.
Marilyn
Jul 17, 2013 Marilyn rated it did not like it
Apparently, the author of this book is interested in sharing information about rather obscure gods and goddesses. I guess that would explain the "everything" part of the title but it's written in a rather off-handed way that makes it uninteresting and repetitive.
Dariusmiller
Dec 16, 2010 Dariusmiller rated it liked it
Shelves: the
within the time that I was reading this book, it has came to me that it fun for me to make my own mythology. I seen a lot of mythology's, and you know it made me really feel like making one of my own.
Stacy
Apr 01, 2012 Stacy marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Parissa Jahangiry
Parissa Jahangiry marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Jen
Jen is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Anahita
Anahita marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Kaysie Strang
Kaysie Strang rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Rawoyo Abdurrouf
Rawoyo Abdurrouf marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Samira
Samira marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Emily Zonker
Emily Zonker rated it liked it
May 10, 2016
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
SeMeria
SeMeria marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Mohsen Yaghooti
Mohsen Yaghooti rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Katrise
Katrise rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Nasim
Nasim rated it liked it
May 16, 2016
Kenzie
Kenzie marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Emily
Emily added it
Mar 12, 2016
Pauline
Pauline marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Alvaro
Alvaro marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Exploring the Northern Tradition: A Guide to the Gods, Lore, Rites, and Celebrations from the Norse, German, and Anglo-Saxon Traditions
  • The Adventures of Odysseus
  • Treasury of Norse Mythology: Stories of Intrigue, Trickery, Love, and Revenge
  • Living the Troth (Our Troth, #2)
  • Terrible Tsarinas: Five Russian Women in Power
  • The Ramayana and Mahabharata Condensed into English Verse
  • Kate: The Making of a Princess
  • The Complete Valley of the Kings: Tombs and Treasures of Ancient Egypt's Royal Burial Site
  • The Myths of Greece and Rome
  • Ancient Rome: From the Earliest Times Down to 476 A.D.
  • Caligula: A Biography
  • A Piece of Blue Sky: Scientology, Dianetics, and L. Ron Hubbard Exposed
  • Chronicle of the Roman Emperors: The Reign-by-Reign Record of the Rulers of Imperial Rome
  • Pencil Drawing Techniques