Start by marking “Caroline's Daughters” as Want to Read:
Caroline's Daughters

Caroline's Daughters

3.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  178 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Caroline's five daughters love their mother but live as if she wasn't around, exploring their own unpredictable lives, making mistakes, borrowing each other's men, and turning into the kind of women their mother could not have foreseen.
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published March 22nd 1993 by Fawcett

To ask other readers questions about Caroline's Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caroline's Daughters

Tara
Sep 12, 2014 Tara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book could not hold my attention for more than 3 and a half chapters. The characters made me groan audibly. I think they all needed to pull their heads out of their asses.
ShelbyLibrary
The place is San Francisco.
The time: the late 1980s.
We enter the interconnected lives of a mother and her five daughters (by three marriages) women as diverse and diverting as the city they inhabit. This is the part that got me interested. Carline Cater, impeccably New England, "almost rich and almost old," is just back after a five-year absence abroad. She is happy to be near her daughters, yet uneasy about how much of a mother she still should be-uneasy about the paths their lives have taken
Laine The Librarian
Laine (librarianscanreadtoo.blogspot.com) Review:

The place is San Francisco. The time: the late 1980s. We enter the interconnected lives of a mother and her five daughters (by three marriages) women as diverse and diverting as the city they inhabit. This is the part that got me interested. Carline Cater, impeccably New England, "almost rich and almost old," is just back after a five-year absence abroad. She is happy to be near her daughters, yet uneasy about how much of a mother she still should
Becky Straub
Very interesting. It kept me riveted, but yet it wasn't that great and I didn't really care about the characters. It was just the author's style that made me keep reading. Not sure if I would recommend to others.
Carolyn
Is it me, or does Alice Adams write 75% of Lifetime Moves? I don't watch that many of them, but after reading two and a half of Alice Adam's books, I'm done.
Sterlingcindysu
Story of mother & five daughters who live in San Francisco in the ‘80’s. Too many good things happen to the lot and make the story unbelievable. Mother is married 3x, daughters unknowingly share the same man as lovers, one sister cheats with another sister’s husband. All 5 are successful (writer, attorney, restaurant owner, etc.)
Rochelle
This was an engrossing read, perfect for the airplane. Some of the characters were annoying and I didn't feel especially warmed or moved by the message about the selfishness of the 80s, but it was entertaining nonetheless.
gwen g
Mar 11, 2009 gwen g rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-put-down
My "life's-too-short-for-this-book" moment arrived when I found myself rolling my eyes and muttering out loud on page 179. We're through.
Joan Horkey
I liked Alice Adam's style of writing but the book seemed to have no plot. None of the characters was particularly likeable.
Ann-Marie
Though I found myself pulled into the story for the greater part of the book, the end left me feeling like I had wasted my time.
Bea Alden
Story of a mother of five grown daughters and their life dilemmas, set in San Francisco in the 1980s.
Carolyn Cleary
I too felt let down by the ending of the book. There was no closure for me.
Judy
Jul 05, 2008 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting development of female relationships in a family. Light reading
Joan
Oct 10, 2012 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not her strongest, but still a "Good Read".
Dawn (& Ron)
rating clarification 2-1/2 stars
Robyn Dones
Read in 2008
Nancy
Jul 17, 2008 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Average, at best.
Jessica Pataky
Jessica Pataky rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2016
Karen Guerrero
Karen Guerrero rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Julie Ehlers
Julie Ehlers marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Donna Viglianti
Donna Viglianti rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Ellen C
Ellen C marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Zee
Zee added it
Jun 22, 2016
Ashley Soto
Ashley Soto rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Wendy Curry
Wendy Curry rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Rsmith
Rsmith marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Bobbi
Bobbi marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
  • Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes
  • Donald Duck's Toy Sailboat
  • Clouds End
  • Bedrock
  • Somewhere Lies the Moon (Victorian Trilogy, #3)
  • Everything but a Dog
  • Grow Old With Me (The Quilt Trail Series Book 1)
  • Heaven on Earth
  • Winnie-The-Pooh Meets Gopher

Alice Adams was an American novelist, short story writer, academic and university professor.

She was born in Fredericksburg, Virginia and attended Radcliffe College, graduating in 1946. She married, and had a child, but her marriage broke up, and she spent several years as
More about Alice Adams...