Start by marking “Beloved Castaway (Fairweather Keys #1)” as Want to Read:
Beloved Castaway (Fairweather Keys #1)

Beloved Castaway (Fairweather Keys #1)

Isabelle Gayarre, fleeing a life of servitude, refuses to be owned by anyone, yet soon finds her heart in danger of being possessed by the godless Captain Josiah Carter. Can Isabelle trust him to help her escape without losing her heart? Josiah Carter, running from demons of his own, is stirred by the presence of the beautiful woman seeking refuge on his ship. Realizing th ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about Beloved Castaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beloved Castaway

Lynne Stringer
I found this book a struggle for several reasons. For a start, I felt the whole thing was over-explained, especially in the first few chapters. It slowed the pace monumentally and sometimes made it difficult to keep my head in the book. This was especially the case early on with some scenes that spoke about the lead character's faith. There were prayer points in the middle of conversations so often that I found it distracting. There was also a little too much internal monologue going on.
Also, th
Margaret Chind
Dec 29, 2008 Margaret Chind rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Kathleen Y'Barbo
As the way things turned out, I was able to read Beloved Captive, book #2 of the Fairweather Keys Series before I read this book #1. So, in starting the story I knew somewhat of what to expect with the plot and the outcome. However, that did not deny my experience even the tiniest bit. I still am shocked and amazed and the twists and turns the plot took through out. Especially, at the growth in which the characters were able to grow as individuals and persons in Christ.

The story is about three
Jun 21, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
This book was not what I was expecting (I was thinking more stranded on an Island type thing) but not bad. The romance was light, the characters interesting, and the faith element strong. Why not five stars? I just came to the end and really couldn't decide if I really liked the story or if it was a waste of my time. Weird, I know. I normally have strong opinions one way or another on books.
Sandra Stiles
Feb 09, 2011 Sandra Stiles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, romance, adult
I am so happy that I was able to read and review this book. I loved it like I expected I would. The twists and turns in this book kept me reading from beginning to end. The love story was not gaudy or over done. It was a love that could only be brought about and shaped by the hands of God. We have Josiah Carter on the run from his father. Why? His father, the Reverend Carter is a hard man and Josiah has taken his young brother and runaway with him. He has no use for God after what he has seen in ...more
Feb 12, 2015 Joleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised while reading Beloved Castaway! In the beginning there's a bit of confusion about fellow slave, Mama Dell, and her intentions toward our main character, Isabelle -- whether she was really trying to help her and protect her or whether she was jealous and manipulated Isabelle because she could. That was never really resolved in my mind, but just trying to figure it out was interesting.
The rest of the book, once she was freed from Mama Dell was about Isabelle finding her identity, a
Sep 03, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was ok
Shelves: gentle-reads
Oct 08, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Now this is my kind of historical fiction book! The romance in Beloved Castaway totally rocked! And the kisses were to die for--very well written. There is nothing more exciting than a forbidden love story, and this book has it all. Even some edgy stuff. The heroine's mother was quadroon and from New Orleans and thus she was born a slave. The hero was the captain of the ship she sailed on. The way the hero treated her initially (not knowing about her heritage) made me cringe, but then things tur ...more
Catherine Richmond
The strength of this story is consistent period language used in dialogue and narrative. Background about the wreckers, those who rescued people and cargo from wrecked ships, was interesting. I would have liked to know more about Isabelle's life before she met Josiah.
Edna Peterson

this story was no different than dozens of others.

clean language.
it would have been better with some historical facts included. nothing learned

Sandy Duke
Jul 26, 2014 Sandy Duke rated it it was amazing
I have a love/hate relationship with books like this that keep you rushing through pages right up to the very last page. OK. So it's mostly a love...
Jan 13, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Feb 11, 2016 Carman rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It has a really good plot; I'm now reading book 2.
Marcie Miller
Jan 16, 2014 Marcie Miller rated it really liked it
Three women are on the run together, but for different reasons. How can they escape and not be found out? Lots of twists and turns in this book which I enjoyed reading.
Sep 05, 2008 Anita rated it it was ok
Isabelle Gayarre is a runaway slave (with blonde hair and green eyes) who is running away from being sold as a plantation owners mistress. Josiah Carter is running away from God, and his own father. The christian theme was a little over bearing, The characters seemed to change really fast, there wasn't alot of time dedicated to development,and the plot was murky at best. It was just ok.
Gwendolyn Gage
Oct 13, 2014 Gwendolyn Gage rated it liked it
"Beloved Castaway" is just the kind of historical romance I loved as a teenager--danger, escapes, rescues, slavery, and secrets. The author is plot-strong, and knows how to keep a story moving! The dialogue and writing style did get in the way of my enjoyment, but I was invested enough to find out what happened to the characters. :-)
Dec 31, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed book. It presented a fresh, unique approach to the themes of freedom and slavery. The romance was intense and realistic. To understand this book, go to Kathleen Y'Barbo's website, where she has the original first chapter available for download. It explains a lot that was hard to pick up with out it.
Oct 06, 2012 Kalyn rated it really liked it
This book was a lot better than the first one I read of hers, and I loved that it was set in the Florida Keys! Shipwrecks, mysterious pasts, and a budding romance made this one a delight. I do wish though that the writing flowed better - still a little choppy in some parts.
Apr 14, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
it took me awile to read this book, not sure why! it was good, I just couldn't seem to get into it! :/
Aug 10, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
I received it for Christmas and had it finished on December 26. I've re-read it since and loaned it to my mom (I think). Very good story and setting.
Jul 28, 2014 Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: related-books

Book 1 of 2
Nov 11, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Pretty entertaining. I usually enjoy a novel that takes place on the high seas. This lacked the usual danger, but it was an overall fun read.
Dec 30, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: young-adult
Michelle is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2016
Monica Gibbs
Monica Gibbs marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Beks rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2016
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Sonya marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Paula Shreckhise
Paula Shreckhise marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Connie rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 26, 2016 08:23AM
  • The Restitution (Legacy of the King's Pirates, #3)
  • Unbridled Dreams
  • Awaken My Heart
  • Virginia
  • Highland Legacy: Four Generations of Love Are Rooted in Scotland
  • Brides O' the Emerald Isle
  • A Stitch in Time: Basket Stitch/Double Cross/Spider Web Rose/Double Running
  • Consuming Fire (Scottish Highland, #2)
  • Loving Libby
  • Fair Game
  • Inklings (The Oxford Chronicles #1)
  • From Italy with Love: Motivated by Letters, Four Women Travel to Italian Cities and Find Love (From Italy with Love #1)
  • Bette (Women of Ivy Manor, #2)
  • The Duchess and the Dragon
  • The Bounty Hunter's Bride
  • Shadows of the Canyon (Desert Roses, #1)
While wearing her publicist’s hat, Kathleen has secured interviews with radio, television, and print media for clients at NavPress, Hatchette, Integrity, Barbour Publishing, and Broadman & Holman, to name a few. She also brings her own unique blend of Southern charm and witty prose to the more than 350,000 award-winning novels and novellas currently in print. Her novels have been nominated for ...more
More about Kathleen Y'Barbo...

Fairweather Keys (3 books)
  • Beloved Captive (Fairweather Keys #2)
  • Beloved Counterfeit (Fairweather Keys #3)