Start by marking “Resistance” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  12 reviews
No treatment. No cure. No hope

Once it seemed as though penicillin and other antibiotics had won humanity a lasting victory over harmful bacteria. But now hardier bugs, resistant to most common classes of antibiotics, are emerging-with potentially catastrophic consequences.

When Dr. Catalina Lopez of the Center for Disease Control first receives a report of a lethal new "sup
Published October 2nd 2007 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resistance

Toni Osborne
If you enjoy scary medical thrillers, this one will take you on an unforgettable roller coaster ride. Daniel Kalla has given us a shockingly realistic novel that explores what could happen if an ultra resistant bacterium immune to all known antibiotics was released into the general population.

When an ultra resistant form of group "A" strep is spreading like wildfire throughout hospitals in Seattle, Vancouver and the Pacific Northwest, doctors are seemingly helpless and can only watch as their pa
The cons: (bad news first, hey?)
Two-dimensional characters
Writing has much room to grow and breathe
Plot coordination could use some evolving
Storyline at times feels rushed
Two-dimensional characters (big gripe of mine)

The pros:
Interesting plot line
Conceivably realistic
Medical terminology is easily explained
Emphasizes a critical flaw in medical care here in the America's that' long bothered me

Bottom line is that it's an alright read in between books when your authors are taking forever and a da
What can I say? Another fantastic book from Daniel Kalla. Probably my favorite aspect of his writing is how he manages to involve characters from different locales and different occupations and it ALL makes sense. You're not left wondering if you accidentally skipped a page somewhere. Not only that but it's good to read a medical thriller that is realistic and based in some fact. As opposed to some of the ridiculousness you read and see on tv. Resistance is well written with a terribly unnerving ...more
Very much like Daniel Kalla's other novels - full of detailed medical information, suspense, twists and turns. Definitely kept me interested all the way through and had a great ending that I didn't see coming! My only complaint is that there were too many characters, and all of them were good-looking. Aren't there any uglly people in the fields of medicine and microbiology?
This was a fast-paced suspense novel - my favorite genre of medical thriller. When people start getting sick and no antibiotics are able to cure them, the CDC realizes that a new multi-resistant bacteria is on the loose. But did it naturally occur or did someone deliberately set it loose? Kept me turning pages - finished in just a few days.
This book is a medical supsense book similar to the genre of Robin Cook. It is about the emergence of a superbug that is resistant to antibiotics that is deliberatly released to the public...if you like medical scenarios this book will not disappoint.
Resistance was much better than Pandemic. The plot was interesting enough to keep me flipping the pages. Also, for a medical thriller, the characters, settings and so forth were well above average. A good choice for a summer afternoon.
Not a bad book, entertaining even if extremely predictable. Kalla does have to stop using the cheesy endings to wrap things up, though
I quite enjoyed this book, it was really easy to read and the twist at the end really surprised me
I love medical thrillers. This author was unknown to me but the book exceeded my expectations.
Not bad. It was good but I expected more.
Peter Crickman
Peter Crickman marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Louise marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Jude marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Krista marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Alysha Mahaffey
Alysha Mahaffey marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Asteropê marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Nicki Ksioszk
Nicki Ksioszk marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Christine Brewer
Christine Brewer marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Linette marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Tan added it
Jul 18, 2015
Sue marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Julie W
Julie W marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
  • Black Water
  • Nemesis
  • Dark Room (Pete 'Monty' Montgomery, #2)
  • The Testament
  • Night Kill (Iris Oakley, #1)
  • Ice Trap
  • J.D. Robb In Death: The First Cases (In Death #1 & 2)
  • The Harbinger Collection: Hard-Boiled Mysteries Not for the Faint of Heart
  • Bone Deep
  • Threat of Darkness
  • The Spy Who Came For Christmas
  • The Last Spymaster
  • The 13th Tribe
  • Chicken Soup for the Nurse's Soul - Second Dose: More Stories to Honor and Inspire Nurses (Chicken Soup for the Soul (Paperback Health Communications))
  • The Mysterious West
  • Tracking Bear (Ella Clah, #8)
  • The Missing Element (James Becker, #2)
  • On the Fifth Day
Born, raised, and still residing in Vancouver, Kalla spends his days (and sometimes nights) working as an ER Physician in an urban teaching hospital.

The idea for his first medical thriller, PANDEMIC, sprang from his clinical experience in facing the SARS crisis of 2003. He has written five science thrillers and or medical mysteries, delving into themes and topics as diverse as superbugs, drug addi
More about Daniel Kalla...
Pandemic The Far Side of the Sky Blood Lies Cold Plague Rage Therapy