Start by marking “Fear No Evil” as Want to Read:
Fear No Evil

Fear No Evil

Temperamentally and intellectually, Natan Sharansky is a man very much like many of us—which makes this account of his arrest on political grounds, his trial, and ten years' imprisonment in the Orwellian universe of the Soviet gulag particularly vivid and resonant.

Since Fear No Evil was originally published in 1988, the Soviet government that imprisoned Sharansky has col
Published November 27th 1998 by PublicAffairs (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Fear No Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear No Evil

Hana
Nov 01, 2014 Hana rated it it was amazing
Memories of the world behind the Iron Curtain are fading, and it is easy to forget that millions of people lived for decades trapped in a system that denied them even the most basic freedoms. Sharansky and his 'Refusnik' friends were among those courageous enough, perhaps crazy enough, to challenge an oppressive and all-powerful totalitarian government. Their struggles showed the free world the truth about the Soviet empire.

On March 4, 1977, a full-page article in Izvestia accused Anatoly Shara
Eric
So I'm watching Hell's Kitchen the other night, one of the few, if not the only, reality show I like (though I'm enjoying it less and less every year). Anyway, a contestant sprained her ankle and hobbled around in obvious pain while cooking that night. At the end, when the jerk chef is deciding which shmuck to kick off the show, the injured contestant withdraws due to her injury. Which causes the jerk chef, other contestants, and narrator to wax poetic paeans to her courage and bravery for cooki ...more
Leora Wenger
Mar 05, 2011 Leora Wenger rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish
It took me a while to get into the book (there were details of the how the Soviet Union society operated that I glossed over), but once I got to know Sharansky as a person and could relate to him, I was hooked. I was fascinated by how he used chess and solving a chess problem as a way to cope while in a punishment cell. His wife Avital was truly amazing, bringing his case to officials all over the Western world. I wasn't clear why he needed to go on so many hunger strikes, but they seemed to hel ...more
Maren
Jan 21, 2009 Maren rated it it was amazing
If I had to make a "must read" list this book would be at or near the top. It is an important book. It will remind us why freedom is important above all, and how an encroaching ever-expanding government can become oppressive under our very noses.
David Karpel
Aug 08, 2012 David Karpel rated it it was amazing
A must read. Sharansky's self-discipline and focus of mind is humbling and inspiring. The fearsome KGB is merely an opponent on the other side of a chess board he plays like a master because consistently he keeps in mind the ultimate truth of his position.
Mich
Mar 03, 2013 Mich rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, jewish
The indomitable strength of this man and the sustaining love for his wife and hers for him is the signal hallmark of this book. In a way, it evokes the spirit of Unbroken .
Paul Belanger
Interesting story. Some of the stuff he does to the KGB is downright hilarious. Well written.
Steve
Apr 23, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the book, though it is very troubling- especially in light of current events where governments continue to oppress those with beliefs and views outside of what the government considers to be mainstream.

Here's the publisher's review:

Every tour through the irrational labyrinth of the gulagthe Soviet prison system turns up new horrors, new injustices, new quirks concerning the human will to survive. Sharansky spent nine years in Soviet prisons and labor camps. The KGB, in punishment for his
Shalom
Sep 14, 2011 Shalom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Natan's Sharansky story is one that we have heard bits and pieces about over the years but we never fully understood the struggle of the Russian refusenik. It was well written and enjoyable. The story begins with some of his human rights "rebellious" activity, being tailed by the KGB and quickly progresses to his time locked up in a multitude of Russian prisons. The story continues relating his refusal to cooperate with the KGB and his eventual release. I feel that the major political drama occu ...more
Charles
Jul 01, 2016 Charles rated it really liked it
I especially liked his comment:

“Without firm moral principles it was impossible to withstand the pressure of the KGB. If you’re a captive of your own fear, you’ll not only believe any nonsense, but you’ll even invent nonsense of your own to justify your behavior.” ~ Natan Sharansky pg. 297 “Fear no evil”
Gabriella Hoffman
Aug 14, 2016 Gabriella Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: planning-to-read
Took me a while to read this, since I went back and forth between books, but I finally finished this book. At times it was hard to read given certain difficult parts, but Sharansky's wit and optimism helped me get through the not-so pleasant parts. I was able to relate to the book and his struggles since my family experienced similar persecution in the USSR. It was a good book and I definitely recommend it to those who wish to learn more about the horrors of Soviet communism. 5/5!
Sue
Aug 10, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it
It's really scary that this sort of thing actually happens - and happened during my lifetime! Normally I think of the Gulag as being earlier in the 20th century. Who knows what is going on right now? Books like this show why they government cannot be allowed to become so powerful that people lose all their freedoms. That's why I am a staunch conservative. Sharansky is definitely a hero.
Tamara
Jan 31, 2012 Tamara rated it it was ok
Definitely interesting, glad I read it. It's a translation - so the prose are pretty simple and the narrative isn't all that compelling - but I didn't find it a huge trudge. I've had this on my shelf for years so I'm happy to have finally gotten to it!
Sharon Zink
Dec 28, 2011 Sharon Zink rated it really liked it
Clear and interesting account of a Jewish man's arrest and imprisonment in the Soviet Gulag system in the 1980's and of his eventual release and journey to Israel.
Judy Serreze
Jan 20, 2013 Judy Serreze rated it it was amazing
This is an inspiring book for those people looking for a reason to take a stand with their life against evil in the world. He was a role-model par excellence!
Katerina
Jul 03, 2014 Katerina rated it really liked it
Very moving. More interesting than I bought it would be. Read in on the plane. Better than any self help book. (Except Happiness Project.)
Debby
Apr 05, 2013 Debby rated it liked it
Didn't get all the way through this, but I am intrigued. This is a book about a Jewish Russian dissident in the 80's.
Igor
Mar 15, 2007 Igor rated it it was amazing
This was a formative book for me in my teens. I reread it again about a year ago and still found it inspiring
David
Oct 10, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
Wonderful look at the psychological strategies of strength in the face of institutional injustice.
Tyson
Mar 04, 2009 Tyson added it
amazing book...
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Greta
Greta added it
Sep 17, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Richie V.
Richie V. rated it really liked it
Lowell Paige Bander
Lowell Paige Bander marked it as to-read
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
A
A added it
Aug 17, 2016
Lost Chromosome
Lost Chromosome rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
  • Feather in the Storm: A Childhood Lost in Chaos
  • Stalin's Curse: Battling for Communism in War and Cold War
  • Behind the Urals: An American Worker in Russia's City of Steel
  • Against All Hope: A Memoir of Life in Castro's Gulag
  • Out of the Depths: The Story of a Child of Buchenwald Who Returned Home at Last
  • The Gates of November
  • War and Decision: Inside the Pentagon at the Dawn of the War on Terrorism
  • Salam Pax: The Clandestine Diary of an Ordinary Iraqi
  • The World Was Going Our Way: The KGB & the Battle for the Third World
  • Eichman in My Hands
Anatoly Borisovich Shcharansky (later Natan Sharanky) was born in Stalino, Soviet Union on January 20, 1948 to a Jewish family. He graduated with a degree in applied mathematics from Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology. As a child, he was a chess prodigy. He performed in simultaneous and blindfold displays, usually against adults. At the age of 15, he won the championship in his native Done ...more
More about Natan Sharansky...

“The Americans have their spies here, and we have our people over there. You, however, are not simply a spy. You’re a Soviet citizen—and a traitor. An entirely different fate awaits you.” 0 likes
“thought of this introductory part of the interrogation as the Manilov-Chichikov routine, after the characters in Gogol’s Dead Souls who dawdled at great length at the door, each trying to let the other enter first. But whereas in Gogol’s novel the two men eventually went through the door together, I never permitted myself to violate the etiquette of the investigation.” 0 likes