Start by marking “The World of Edward Gorey” as Want to Read:
The World of Edward Gorey

The World of Edward Gorey

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  3,140 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This volume presents the work of Edward Gorey, the American artist and writer perhaps best known for his witty opening credits for PBS's Myster! series and for such books as Amphigorey, The Doubtful Guest and The Unstrung Heart.
Published October 29th 2002 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The World of Edward Gorey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Edward Gorey

Final Thoughts by John Thomas GrantA Book about Absolutely Nothing. by I.M. NobodyChina by Tom  CarterPeople in Vogue by Robin DerrickGustav Klimt by Gilles Néret
Coffee Table Books
39th out of 311 books — 89 voters
Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickBone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyAmulet, Vol. 1 by Kazu Kibuishi
Best Graphic Novels for Children
435th out of 545 books — 661 voters

More lists with this book...

Teresa
Though I've been attracted to Gorey's art for some time now, I couldn't have told you before I read this book why I was. According to the interview here, he adores Dickens (especially his lesser-read works) and, according to interpretation offered in the essay, in his art he both celebrates and parodies the unrealistic, melodramatic innocence of characters like Little Nell and those of other 19th-century authors, such as Frances Hodgson Burnett's Sara Crewe and HCA's The Little Match Girl. These ...more
Punk
Non-Fiction. Edward Gorey, the man in the full length fur coat and sneakers. Before I read this, the only thing I knew about Gorey was that he wasn't, despite all appearances, British. Now I know several more things about him. For example, he loved cats and hated Manet. And never even set foot in England.

The interview was conducted by Clifford Ross in Gorey's Cape Cod home, and he and Gorey mostly talk about art and books, Gorey's influences, and the things he collects. Gorey comes off as a man
Linda
Edward Gorey is amazing! And, strangely enough, he thinks of himself as a writer, not an artist. Anyway, the interview with him was not nearly long enough and the essay was too long. What was really superb, as usual, was Gorey's work, both art and writing. I DID learn that Gorey uses many literary allusions in both his art and writing, so I'll be looking for those from now on. And I learned that he has been the set designer on a few plays as well. Illustrations from those are included and make m ...more
Ashley
Best to read this book if you already love Edward Gorey, but it may help you to understand why you love him, and to discuss his art more knowledgeably. Plus, it includes the following (parenthetical) statement:
"(Gorey claims that his leaving New York to live permanently on Cape Cod was spurred by George Balanchine's death in 1983, a decision that has been termed an act of aestheticism worthy of Oscar Wilde.)" Well worth reading, just for those kinds of tidbits.
Christopher
THE WORLD OF EDWARD GOREY, by Clifford Ross and Karen Wilkin, is an overview of the great artist, writer, and droll humorist. While Gorey is one of my favourite literary figures, I found this book to be of limited appeal.

The first part of the book is Ross' interview with Gorey, a rather unimpressive piece that sheds little light on Gorey's development. Ross will bring up painters or authors of the past, and Gorey will either mildly approve, or speak badly of them. Gorey doesn't really seem up to
Kelsey
I've been collecting Gorey books for some time now, and while I was delighted to see some rough draft sketches, photographs of his home, and various artwork, I was highly disappointed in the analysis portion of the book. The author was repetitive and the whole thing felt excessively verbose and long-winded. Check it out for the artwork and interview at the beginning.
Julie H.
I thoroughly enjoy Gorey's quirky style and often delightfully macabre subjects. Ross and Wilkin's book was interesting, and I'd award it 3 1/2 stars. The text gets a bit pedantic at times, but I did indeed learn a lot about Gorey's inspirations, references contained in his work, and his thoughts about art, literature, and culture. To be sure, The World of Edward Gorey is more an art critique than a biography. If you're hoping for details about Gorey's life--beyond the in-text snippets and timel ...more
Icats
The World of Edward Gorey is a great book for a Gorey Groupie. Loved the interview with between Clifford Ross and Edward Gorey at the beginning of the book:

CR: What about other objects you collect? Your house is filled to overflowing with all kinds of things.

EG: It’s filled with little animals. Little things-

CR: Finials?

EG: Well, I do adore finials...

And really who does not enjoy a good finial? I have a few scattered about myself. Then the book is stuffed full of his inquisitive artwork and sket
Mary Rose
Allow me to sum up this book in a quote used by the author: "At best, it simply reminds you of what an extremely fascinating, multitalented individual [Edward Gorey] is, something that is hardly news to any Gorey fan, whether that fan is a long-standing devotee or a recent convert." It was essentially 100 pages of fanboying over how great Edward Gorey's art and words are, with an additional 100 pages in the back of just pictures. There was a great interview at the start where Gorey reveals himse ...more
Kathy
Nov 09, 2014 Kathy marked it as to-read
W
Hester
An interesting overview of the artist's illustrations. One of the strongest parts of the book was where Karen Walker(the author goodsreads does not list!) compares Gorey's works with Japanese woodblocks. I would have liked to see some more of his standalone works that were not parts of books and some more of his early, unsigned book covers. This sparked a real interest in Gorey for me; I would like to visit his house museum in Cape Cod.
Krista
I am a fan and collector of Gorey's books. I enjoyed parts of this book very much for the insight into his processes. However, the book itself is not a cohesive unit. It features an interview, some drawings a well-researched critical essay on Gorey's works, plates and sketches from books, plays and titles. Only the very dedicated fans will want to read this book from start to finish.
Amy
This is a truly excellent overview of Gorey's art - there are umpteen plates showcasing his work, as well as a thought-provoking essay on his influences and strengths, and an interview. There is also a thorough bibilography on Gorey, arranged in chronological order. I learned a great deal, and can use this book as a reference to look up more of Gorey's work. Recommended!
Jessica
Jan 27, 2009 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: wrecked
Shelves: read-in-2009
Excellent book about Edward Gorey. Contains a rare interview with Gorey as well as an analysis of his work and of course a selection of his drawings. I was hoping for more information about the author himself but there is not much in here. Perhaps not the fault of the author as Gorey was a notoriously private man. Overall this book is a treat for any Gorey fan.
Emily
This was a short book with an interesting interview with Mr. Gorey and notes on his art and personality. And lots of pictures of his art. I decided recently that I wanted to see more of his art and requested a stackfull of his books from the library. This was a great introduction. I'm looking forward to seeing more of his quirky, dark books.
Catherine
Combination analysis of Gorey's work with a lengthy interview with the artist. Includes numerous plates that I haven't seen reproduced elsewhere. Definitely one for Gorey fans. I'd suggest getting familiar with his work before picking this book up though. I don't think it works well as an intro.
Chantelle Gonzales
The interview and chronology of Edward Gorey's life was very interesting to read. However, I found a breakdown of Gorey's work and how he works and his style was very boring. I didn't need to read someone's very long description of Gorey's many works. The best part of this book were the pictures.
Mara
How can one not like that has to do with the legendary Gorey? A long time fan of his illustrations and quirky stories I made my way thorough this interesting offering. Fans will not be disappointed if you are like me and want to read everything you can about something you like.
Marie
I don't often read books about art, but I saw this one and was immediately drawn to the darkly funny atomosphere of Gorey's work. The interview with him that's included is especially good--he seemed like a person that I'd have enormously liked.
I have loved Edward Gorey's art for a long time now. I did not know much about him personally. I enjoyed learning what inspired and influenced his art. This book has great images of some of his art. A must read for any Edward Gorey fan.
Marianna
I liked it. It was a nice intro for the artist, Gorey. The art is just amazing. However, the biography portion became repetitive very quickly. So I skipped the art analysis and just looked at the pictures!
Yvonne
I love Edward Gorey. Very strange of me, I think, and I do not understand why little ol' conventional me enjoys this macabre misogynist child-hating artist so. Perhaps I'm not as conventional as I think I am.
Agnes Muscoreil
I just discovered Mr. Gorey thanks to Google, and absolutely love his macabre style. This tells the story of his life through an interview and excerpts and those wonderful sketches.
W.B.
Marvelous. While it's true the authors steal many of their "insights" from an interview included here, it's still a very good read and career overview for the Gorey enthusiast.
Jeff
If you like Edward Gorey, you'll like this book. I like the art, not so much the interview portions as they go on an on about the artists and works he liked.
Atticus Redghost, esq.
Brilliant and well written. Opens with an interview with Gorey, then shifts into an analysis of his work. Excellent pacing of his illustrations throughout.
Mab
My favorite part of this book was the interview with Edward Gorey in the beginning. I like the way his mind works. Great book if you are a fan of Gorey.
Amy
I love Gorey. If I was rich and could afford nice things I would model my life after his books.
oriana
Let's just be honest for a moment -- is there anyone cooler than Edward Gorey?
Dec 05, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jennifer by: meg
inspirational. included one of the only interviews i've ever truly enjoyed reading.
  • Elephant House: Photographs of Edward Gorey's House
  • Ascending Peculiarity: Edward Gorey on Edward Gorey
  • The Twelve Terrors of Christmas
  • Cautionary Tales for Children
  • Donald Has a Difficulty
  • Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes
  • The Strange Case of Edward Gorey
  • Elegant Enigmas: The Art of Edward Gorey
Wave Music Abstract Expressionism: Creators and Critics: An Anthology Clifford Ross: Through the Looking Glass Chocolate: The Nature of Indulgence It Zwibble, the Star-Touched Dinosaur