Start by marking “What Does the Fox Say?” as Want to Read:
What Does the Fox Say?

What Does the Fox Say?

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  897 ratings  ·  205 reviews
Do you know what the fox says? Based on the hugely popular YouTube video with more than 200 million views, this picture book is packed full of foxy fun.

Dog goes woof. Cat goes meow. Bird goes tweet and mouse goes squeak.
But what does the fox say?

The lyrics of Ylvis's YouTube sensation 'The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)' meet Svein Nyhus's playful illustrations in this irre
Published December 10th 2013 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about What Does the Fox Say?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Does the Fox Say?

Jo Ann ☃

Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Jacha-chac
Melki
Well, I've never before bought a book emblazoned with the words Based on the YouTube sensation, so there's that...

The illustrations are pretty nifty, and I love the limited color palette, but the whole project seems to have a cheapo-thrown-together look to it; as we all know, Simon's Shoestore was in a hurry to get this out in time for the Xma$ season.

Eh...it's not my thing, BUT...

The kid I bought it for will love it, and that's all that matters.
Giselle
Nov 12, 2013 Giselle marked it as to-read
Shelves: middle-grade
Isa Lavinia
Unless you're living under a rock (lucky you in this case) you've already heard Ylvis viral music video The Fox (What Does The Fox Say?), which spanned a thousand memes - a few of them quite funny:

Much like Andrew Kolb, who illustrated the lyrics to David Bowie's Space Oddity (a work of genius, I need to review that one!), Svein Nyhus illustrated Ylvis' What Does the Fox Say? which, I must admit, makes for a very good read for children.

I absolutely LOVE Nyhus' illustrations - I'm not a fan of th
Monica!
Yes, friends. Yes I will admit it. I was basically the first person on hold for a copy of “BASED ON THE YOUTUBE SENSATION” What Does the Fox Say?, and I apologize for nothing.

Thank God, they decided to make the animals into ACTUAL ANIMALS in the book, instead of a Furry convention like it was in the video.

The illustrations were awesome, but for some reason reminded me very much of Coyote from Gunnerkrigg Court.

The dialogue too, actually, now that I think about it.

Basically this is the type of bo
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
Yes!!! there's actually a book! Now you can know all the words...LOL.

Actually, its a cute book for the little ones.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Do I or don't I? On one hand, my daughter LOVES the video, but on the other...once I hear her sing it, it's stuck in my head for daaaaaays.

__________________________________________

By now, surely you've all seen the YouTube video that inspired this book. I was only directed toward it in the last month or so, but once I showed it to my daughter, it was played on a daily basis in my house. And the song is now stuck in my head forever as a result.

As with most YouTube sensations, it started out inno
Jason Sharp
Who was this written for?

For the life of me, I can't quite figure out who would want to read this. I'm not saying that to be offensive, I think there is a reader for every book, but I'm not sure who this is meant to appeal to.

The song and music video are entertaining, but there really are no lyrics to speakof and that's all the text that is included here. The book can't ever get that right, some of the written text doesn't match the song and most of the "What does the Fox Say" lyrics are remove
Sandi Faulconbridge
The illustrations in this are great. I got hooked on the song and the book did not let me down.
I know ... I'm a crazy librarian ... But you've gotta have fun & so do the kids. Our year 6's appreciate the book more than the younger kids 'cause they are the ones that also really get into the song :-)
Jeffrey West
A wonderfully charming follow-up to the viral video of the same name, this beautifully illustrated children's book is perfect for anyone who still can't get the song out of their heads.
Cassandra
I gave it an extra star due to the fact that the song and words are admittedly catchy. But they are catchy in that terrible get-out-of-my-head type of way. I don't really have anything against the viral video, as far as viral videos go. But the fact that it's a now a published children's book makes me cringe. Even this I was willing to look past; I really wanted to give it a fair chance! But what I can't get past is those illustrations. The fox is utterly terrifying, and so are the rest of the d ...more
Leah
Nov 12, 2013 Leah marked it as wtf
The world needed this.
Sara Walker
See this and all my reviews at Urban Fantasy Land

The hardcover book consists of 32 pages containing the lyrics to the song accompanied by images influenced by Norwegian folk art of the fox and other animals. There's no other text, making this a great way for kids to learn the lyrics to the song. The pictures are bright and busy giving them lots to look at.

You could spend hours looking at these pictures with all the different things to see, and I love how Norwegian folk art just got brought into
Denis Vukosav
“What Does the Fox Say” written by Ylvis and illustrated by Svein Nyhus is book for children that was created based on the world-famous YouTube video.

Ylvis video wasn’t created in order to be enjoyed primarily by children, instead it was made for TV show however, given its “infectious” melody, children worldwide had enthusiastically embraced it.
“What Does the Fox Say” children book that was released today is primarily beautiful illustrated book that keeps the song from the video but attracts rea
marlene
I'm norwegian - of course I had to read Ylvis' book :)

Ok, so I wouldn't really count this as a read.. Well, not like a book for my goodreads challenge anyways. There's not a lot of text, but a lot of fun art. I bought it for my niece for christmas and I think she'll love it! When we ask her "Hva sier reven?" (what does the fox say) she answers "Ringe ding ding" hahaha, she loves the song.

I'm guessing this book will be under a lot of christmastrees in Norway this year and a lot of kids will be v
Sarah (YA Love)
This is not a bedtime book lol. Keith read this to Jack last night and made it sound like the video. When he got to the what the fox says stuff I couldn't help but laugh because of Keith's voice and Jack's reaction.
Alis Franklin
Oct 02, 2014 Alis Franklin added it
Recommends it for: hipsters, the kids of hipsters, gifts to foreigners if you're a hipster from Norway
This is pretty much exactly as advertised; a short "children's" book (fun for adults, also) featuring the lyrics to the song by Norwegian comedy music duo, Ylvis.

You've heard the song before, so what makes this book are the striking illustrations from Svein Nyhus, which looks not unlike traditional folk art crossed with, well, an absurdist YouTube video. It's the sort of stuff hipsters would want printed onto canvas to hang in their hyper-minimalist offices.

In fact, I'm going to see if I can go
Dolly
Jun 11, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our girls love the song The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?), and we watched the video over and over again. So when I saw that there was a picture book to go along with the lyrics of the song, I just had to check it out at our local library.

The narrative is simply the lyrics, and while I tried to do my best, we enjoyed it more the second time, when we played the song in the background and followed along with the pages. After all, I'm no Ylvis. But the illustrations are the real highlight of the boo
Anastasia Alexandra
I can only assume the illustrations were done during what must have been a very magical and very enchanting acid trip.
sixthreezy
What does the person say, who has never heard the song by Ylvis, after reading this book? I'd like to know.
Samantha Arroyo

How do you rate a book like this?
Do I love the annoyingly catchy song? Why, yes I do!

The illustrations were brilliant, and the lyrics are obviously catchy.

Oh, what the hell. 5 stars all around!

Tana
My parents gave this to me for Christmas and it gave me a good laugh :)
Cruth
"Even though people find it interesting, it's still a stupid fox song, and when people start to get over this, it gets even worse, because it is so stupid."
Bård Ylvisåker, http://www.spin.com/articles/ylvis-wh...

Author: Ylvis, Christian Løchstøer
Illustrator: Svein Nyhus
First Published: 2013

Okay, apparently the book concept was first - and you can see the old man reading it to the boy throughout the video.

The narrative follows the lyrics exactly; a fun read especially with the song in the backgr
Amy Adams
Perhaps you've heard of the annoyingly catchy YouTube sensation video What Does the Fox Say. If not, you should watch the video. (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE) Warning: this song will stay in your head for-ev-er.
This book was made after the video, and I like it much better than the video. The illustrations, all digitally created, are fanciful, intriguing, and kind of mysterious. There's tons of cool stuff to look at on every page. Since it's based on the song, there's plenty of rhyt
John Sperry
This best selling children's book was spawned from the popular YouTube video phenomenon: "What Does the Fox Say". The story deals with the basic sounds many animals make, and focuses on the sound a fox makes. The author provides rich and extensive examples (often in hilarious fashion) of what a fox may make. This thought provoking theme helps children begin associating the actual sounds animals make while allowing them to remain engaged. Beyond the written content, the illustrations are vivid an ...more
Jeremy West
Based on the hilarious YouTube music video that went viral not too long ago, this children's book is full of beautifully crafted art that both adults and kids will adore.
Teresa
What. The. Poop?

I'm sure this was wildly clever and funny as a YouTube video but it doesn't translate well into a children's picture book.
Morgan
i love the illustrations!!
Amy
An illustrated picture book of the infamous YouTube video. A fun read aloud that kids will surely love! An obvious participation story!
  • The Midnight Library
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses
  • A Book of Babies
  • Naked!
  • If You're Hoppy
  • My New Friend Is So Fun! (Elephant & Piggie, #21)
  • Chu's First Day of School (Chu, #2)
  • Pete the Cat Saves Christmas
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • How to Be a Cat