Start by marking “Pyotr Ilyich” as Want to Read:
Pyotr Ilyich

Pyotr Ilyich

Music, passion, and mystery.
The world's greatest composer. His personal story finally told....

The mysterious death of the nineteenth-century composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky is still unsolved to this day and this unusual novel brings to life the private, illegal trial against him and takes the reader through his astounding life as never before. His unlawful sexuality and
Published November 7th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published June 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pyotr Ilyich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pyotr Ilyich

Sofia
Sep 09, 2015 Sofia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical

I’ve spent the last month reading this book and now that it’s finished I am feeling the void. Very flowing writing that keeps you reading, interested and thinking about what’s happening. I know, it is a heavy tome but it is definitely not a bore.

The process of composing a ballet is described with the composer having to juggle together the needs of the story and the choreography and creating music that encapsulate them all with the required feelings. I found myself thinking that that is what Ms D
Irina
"He was a good person with only love in his heart, and had never hurt anyone."

Pyotr Ilyich is not just any historical fiction. It is a work of enormous research, written by the author who has a perfect understanding of Tchaikovsky's music and emotions involved in creating his masterpieces. It feels as if every reference and description of the Maestro's compositions came from the author's heart.

I doubt I can do its justice by reviewing such a grand work. Tchaikovsky and his music really came a
Bill
Jun 27, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it
I won this book here in a Giveaways contest. Prior to reading it I was familiar with Swan Lake, the Nutcracker & the 1812 Overture. I knew that Tchailovsky was gay but that was overlooked by the Russians; even during the Olympics Closing Ceremonies.

I found Pyotr's sexuality and relationships were handled tastefully and matter of factly. How he found the inspiration for his works was expressed very well as were the periods of his depression. The secondary characters especially Alyosha &
Patricia
Mar 25, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Griffin writes "fiction exists so we may see the undocumented moments that would otherwise pass out of history" and a well written historical fiction novel certainly fills in the gaps. Adim Dalton starts with a few facts and then writes a story about the life of the Russian composer. The story is filled with interesting characters (real and imagined), wonderful scenery, great dialogs, and of course, music.

Tchaikovsky was a complicated man -- a brilliant composer, shy, reclusive, a devoted
Jo Reason
Sep 20, 2016 Jo Reason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads
Historical Fiction. 4 stars out of 5.

I am not sure my review could do the book justice, but I will give it a go:
Tchaikovsky. Ever heard the name before? I am sure you have, and if you havent, well you probably should have, but, did you know his first names? Maybe not. Pyotr Ilyich Tchailovsky is his full name. But how much do you actually know about the composer? not much I can imagine, and neither did I until I read this novel. Give it a go and you will learn about his life and loves and death.
MaryJane Rings
May 27, 2015 MaryJane Rings rated it it was amazing
Ms Dalton put much research into this book about a man who was a musical genius and very complex and complicated gentleman living in a tumultuous time in history. his music expressed the changing of the culture and also the musical world while having to deal with critics who didn't always understand his eccentricities and his need for privacy. Having studied classical music, I was familiar with many of the terms which were used to describe the technicalities of his compositions. i have seen all ...more
Xandria
Oct 03, 2013 Xandria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really a fan of the story biography, but I really, honestly enjoyed this one. As Tchaikovsky was an artist his story should be told as an art. The facts were great, but I was a bit confused during transitions from past to present when I first began. But after a while, it became more understandable.
The tidbits of Pyotr's life and relationships were very well developed. They felt very real to me, and very relatable.
In addition as a musician myself, I feel this book has given me key insigh
Denise
Jan 05, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoyed this book, a novel about the life of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, who composed the music for "The Nutcracker". There is controversy about what really caused his death. This author puts forward a case for "maybe it was murder!"
Adin Dalton
Nov 04, 2014 Adin Dalton rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Reviewed November 2014 - Historical Novel Society Reviews

"The tempestuous and controversial life and career of great Russian composer Tchaikovsky is the subject of Dalton’s long and ambitious new novel, which follows Pyotr Ilyich for many years as one after another of his great works flow from his pen. The dramatization of these creative processes is one of the strongest threads running through the book, at times quite thrilling to read.
Even more compelling is Dalton’s most potentially contro
Martha
May 26, 2015 Martha rated it liked it
I began this book expecting to learn more about the man and his music. I almost quit reading after a quarter of the book. There was insight into his emotions and sex life but it didn't relate well to the music he was writing. After boning up on his life and his composition through some composer anthologies, I finished the book. I was pleased with author's comments especially her research of materials that have only recently become available. (I wish I had read them first.) There is valuable ...more
Sakhaa Khrisat
Sakhaa Khrisat rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2013
Joyce
Joyce rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Faith Jacques
Faith Jacques rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2016
Loes Moore
Loes Moore rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Skye
Skye rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2016
Adin Dalton
Jul 29, 2015 Adin Dalton rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Richard Keith sr
Richard Keith sr rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Geri F
Geri F rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Pastor
Pastor rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
William Hall
William Hall rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
Shari Perlstein
Shari Perlstein rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2015
RACHEL
RACHEL rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Carole
Carole rated it really liked it
May 29, 2015
Ed
Ed rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
Earl Q. Parrott, MD
Earl Q. Parrott, MD rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Sherrie Williams
Sherrie Williams rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Theresa
Theresa rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
BR with Nick and Irina 30.08.14 95 13 Sep 20, 2014 12:25PM
Lost Chapter Reinserted! 13 8 Sep 06, 2014 06:45AM
Books for the holiday season - Pyotr Ilyich 2 2 Jan 01, 2014 09:55AM
The death of Tchaikovsky 1 6 Jul 27, 2013 11:46AM
  • The Unreal Life of Sergey Nabokov
  • The Pianist in the Dark
  • Only the Stones Survive
  • One Indulgence (Indulgence, #1)
  • Symphony
  • Scherzo: Murder and Mystery in 18th Century Venice
  • Lionheart: A Novel of Richard I
  • Nightingale
  • Schadenfreude
  • To Love a Traitor
  • A Life Apart
  • Turnbull House (Ira Adler #2)
  • Runaways (Deceived, #3)
  • The Visionary Mayan Queen: Yohl Ik'nal of Palenque (Mists of Palenque, #1)
  • Mozart's Wife
  • Purgatory: A Novel of the Civil War
  • The Student Conductor
  • Atle's Saga
The nineteenth-century composer, P I Tchaikovsky did not die of cholera as the scholars insist. His death bed, as well as his remains, were not administered in compliance with victims of cholera at the time. Furthermore, there was talk of poison among those close to him before any word of cholera was disclosed.
I do not believe he would have committed suicide either; his fear of death is well do
More about Adin Dalton...