Brewing Classic Styles

Brewing Classic Styles

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Award-winning brewer Jamil Zainasheff teams up with homebrewing expert John J. Palmer to share award-winning recipes for each of the 80-plus competition styles. Using extract-based recipes for most categories, the duo gives sure-footed guidance to brewers interested in reproducing classic beer styles for their own enjoyment or to enter into competitions.
Published January 1st 2007 by Brewers Publications (US)

To ask other readers questions about Brewing Classic Styles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brewing Classic Styles

Jason Wardell
Cheating a little for my year-end book count. I have read this at least twice over the past year, though not necessarily in order. Good recipes and the introductory chapter's wheel on hop varieties is a thing I reference more than most other things while developing recipes. Leans a bit too heavily on certain kinds of hops for my tastes, but it would have taken me ages to figure out the subtleties of ESBs on my own. Great for effing around with recipe development.
Kevin
This is an excellent resource for the beginning extract brewer. It assisted me with my understanding of the process of making beer, and is a great resource on understanding recipes and the similarities and differences between styles.

It is also handy for all-grain brewers, as he does a conversion for each recipe.
Dirk Howard

This is more than just a recipe book. This is the BJCP style guide in recipe form. If you want to become a better home brewer, use these recipes as your starting point. If your brewing process is solid (sanitation and fermentation), then you should be able to brew these style examples with great success.
Simon
Parfaitement dosé. Un rapide tour de techniques de brassage de base, servant de rappel pour ceux qui ont préalablement lu l'excellent How to Brew de John J. Palmer, co-auteur de ce livre. Sont ensuite touchés quelques nouveaux points, principalement au niveau de la subsitution des ingrédients.

La deuxième section présente les recettes en elles-mêmes, mais offre beaucoup plus. Chaque style du BJCP est décrit et dissequé. On y indique les points cruciaux, les pièges possibles, les variantes connues...more
Brad
Very useful as a standalone source for beer recipes in every BJCP style for beginning to advanced brewers. Recipes emphasize extract brewing, but each contains the information required to convert to all-grain. For advanced brewers, once you've learned all you can from Ray Daniels "Designing Great Beers," this is an excellent resources for creating recipes for styles that Daniels doesn't directly address.
Shari Sullivan
Great resource for understanding basic brewing chemistry, recipe formulations and substitutions. I think I'll be referring back to this one many, many times. Also really helpful for understanding style distinctions, how to keep within styles if you choose to and when breaking those limitations can work.
Grant
This is a great book for extract or all-grain brewers.

The book is organised according to the BJCP guidelines and a recipe (sometimes more) is given for each style.

Of the recipes that I have made, all have been great beers.

Highly recommended.
Jeremy Kozdon
This book is a must have for any brewer who is interested in really crafting recipes. Gives a good base for all BJCP styles, though I tend to deviate (due to available ingredients and methods), I heartily recommend it.
Gingerwolverine
A useful resource in terms of style guidelines but primarily aimed at the extract brewer. Slightly out of date already but still worth adding to your home brew reading list.
Bill
Sep 14, 2012 Bill added it
Useful advice and lots of interesting recipes. I'll be trying the first one next weekend.
Joshua Chambers
Consistently great recipes. Although you can eventually identify Mr. Zainasheff's particular style.
Sean
Already brewed one of the recipes from this book. Can't wait to try more!
Rich
Jun 26, 2012 Rich is currently reading it
Currently reading to learn to brew better beer
Jan Halvor
My go-to recipe book.
Kevin
I've made a few beers from this book and they've turned out great. Recipes from and awarding winning homebrewer... what more could you want?
Matt
Good overall recipe book with decent descriptions of each style.
Dmitri Brown
Dmitri Brown marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
John Lomnicki,
John Lomnicki, marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
James Atherton
James Atherton marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
E.v. Sage
E.v. Sage marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Pete Collings
Pete Collings is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
Toby Smith
Toby Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
  • Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles
  • Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation (Brewing Elements Series)
  • Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them
  • Radical Brewing: Recipes, Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass
  • The Complete Joy of Homebrewing
  • The Brewmaster's Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food
  • Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home
  • Brewed Awakening: Behind the Beers and Brewers Leading the World's Craft Brewing Revolution
  • Beer Is Proof God Loves Us: The Craft, Culture, and Ethos of Brewing, Portable Documents
  • Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation
  • Ambitious Brew
  • The Naked Pint: An Unadulterated Guide to Craft Beer
  • Beer School: Bottling Success at the Brooklyn Brewery
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee: Growing, Roasting, and Drinking, with Recipes
  • A Land of Two Halves
  • The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen
How to Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Beer Right the First Time Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers (Brewing Elements) in pictures Sequoia-Kings Canyon: The Continuing Story