Start by marking “Fatal Conceit (Butch Karp, #26)” as Want to Read:
Fatal Conceit (Butch Karp, #26)

Fatal Conceit (Butch Karp #26)

A CIA chief dies under suspicious circumstances before he is about to testify about a controversial government cover-up involving a terrorist attack on the US mission in Chechnya. Butch Karp is on the case in this exciting installment to Robert K. Tanenbaum’s bestselling series.

When the CIA director is murdered, Butch Karp finds himself battling a heavyweight opponent: the
Published August 12th 2014 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Conceit, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Judy
Tanenbaum has apparently decided that his thinly veiled right-wing political opinions about the 2012 election, the president and Benghazi should be aired in Fatal Conceit. I have read the prior 25 books in this series but couldn't make it further than 60 pages in this one. I would suggest that Tanenbaum write a non-fiction book about his opinions and not sully the series further. I give this book 0 stars.
Richard Epstein
Sep 13, 2014 Richard Epstein rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read lots of Mr Tanenbaum's Butch Karp novels. I couldn't read this one. Every time Mr Tanenbaum starts to build up a head of steam, he has to stop for some pro-Republican/anti-Democrat whining. It's not the politics which derail the book, it's the substitution of op-ed columns for fiction. When he started moaning about Jon Stewart, I gave up.
Chippy Wood
Feb 14, 2015 Chippy Wood rated it did not like it
I have never been moved to write an on-line review of a book of fiction. If I don't like a book I simply put it down, walk away and look for another, hopefully better book. This book upset me to such a degree that I felt compelled to comment. I am, or was, a fan of Mr. Tanenbaum. I've read all the other Butch Karp novels and really was looking forward to this one. However, I had to stop reading it very early on.

I agree with the reviews that say this is nothing more than a right-wing political d
Delany
Aug 20, 2014 Delany rated it it was ok
I've enjoyed the earlier books in the Butch Karp series -- pure entertainment. Tanenbaum had a formula that was fun to follow despite much repetition in each novel. I was barely able to finish this one, however, because Tanenbaum chose to turn it into a blatantly political (right-wing) diatribe, complete with left-wing villains (the president of the U.S. is obviously a stand-in for Pres. Obama) and right-wing heroes. Quite an annoying and distracting tangent.
Vickie
Oct 11, 2014 Vickie rated it did not like it
I did not finish this book, it was that bad! It was unreadable. Don't even waste your time starting this book.
Margaret
Jan 24, 2017 Margaret rated it liked it
This was a very scary story. Corrupt politicians and the people who work to get them elected and the sense that any body who is a threat can just be eliminated in whatever way serves the purpose. It demonstrated that power corrupts and no-one can get in the way. I was very happy with the ending.
Paul Pessolano
Aug 27, 2014 Paul Pessolano rated it liked it
“Fatal Conceit” by Robert K. Tanenbaum, published by Gallery Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller Publication Date – August 12, 2014

“Fatal Conceit” is a book divided into two parts. The first part deals with a controversial government operation in Chechnya that fails, but the failure may be due to the inaction of those politicos holding high positions in the government.

The operation failed due to a spy within a Chechnya Separatist group and the overrunning of the American contingent by Islamic fund
Carol
Sep 25, 2014 Carol rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this book, hence the one star since there is no place for zero. I remember liking Tannenbaum's stuff in the past, especially court room scenes. This book seems to be mainly a rant against the current president and his administration, badly disguised as characters in the "story," such as it is. There are long passages preaching about the politics of Republicans (always right) and the Democrats (always wrong, and so low, it's hard to see them as human). I never have encountered suc ...more
Carolyn
Sep 18, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the reviews it appears that readers either love or hate this latest (#26) in the Karp/Ciampi series. I loved it. The author makes clear his contempt for the Obama administration; events in the novel have too many similarities to recent history to be overlooked, from the Benghazi coverup to the political destruction of David Petraeus for speaking his mind. The first part of the book relates the events that disgrace the POTUS and his venal advisors. The latter part brings the bad guys to tria ...more
Fred Arshoff
Jul 24, 2015 Fred Arshoff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: purchased
have read other books by Robert and always liked them this book was no exception to the rule. I picked up the book to start reading it and couldn't put it down till I finished the book.
In this book Butch Karp (main character as he is in most of Robert's books) was called to a hotel room to a dead body of a man who was supposed to to testify at a USA Congressional committee. Something doesn't seem right to Butch they claim suicide but he senses something different, bext to the body was aged alco
Jane Russo
Aug 30, 2014 Jane Russo rated it it was ok
First time ever I've hated a book in this series. Why does he feel the need to go out if New York and fight terrorists that's not why I've enjoyed all his other books.
Also. First time I haven't finished the book.
Dev Weeks
Dec 02, 2014 Dev Weeks rated it it was amazing
If you are a Democrat or member of the ever cooperating media you will hate this book. All others ENJOY!
Kim Territo
Aug 29, 2014 Kim Territo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but a little heavy on the politics and light on the story.
Jane J. Janas, Ph.D.
Dec 24, 2016 Jane J. Janas, Ph.D. rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the fast moving plot. The story line reminded me a bit of the TV series that portrayed the capture of the villains and then follows that with the courtroom procedures.
Gloria Feit
Feb 15, 2015 Gloria Feit rated it really liked it
The reader has to suspend disbelief in this latest Butch Karp saga just to enjoy the usual highlight of a Robert K. Tanenbaum novel: the courtroom trial. What leads up to this well-portrayed event is another matter, requiring a stretch of the imagination. It seems that the premise involves the President’s national campaign manager and his national security advisor taking part in what might be termed a rogue operation leading to multiple cover-ups and even murder.

We meet the two men as they sit i
Vicki Elia
Aug 15, 2014 Vicki Elia rated it it was ok
Audiobook Review
3 (-) Stars

In this Butch Karp outing, daughter Lucy is off on a double-super-top secret mission in embattled Chechnya, while back in NYC the Acting Chief of the CIA is murdered. Top level government parties are pulling the puppet strings that will bring both actions into a collision course.

An almost-readable book is Fatally Flawed by political descriptions and allegations that are *almost* spot-on for the current US administration. The only thing Tanenbaum doesn't include is th
Ed
Oct 31, 2014 Ed rated it liked it
Shelves: legal, thriller, political
#26 in the "Butch" Karp & Marlene Ciampi series. This entry starts with the body of acting head of the CIA being found in a NYC hotel, an apparent suicide. Of course we know it will turn out to be a murder and DA Karp will prevail in the hoped for series entry. However, this is the prologue, and Chapter One starts, Eight days earlier ... Now we find the NSA director and the President's Campaign Advisor watching the feed from a drone as a compound in Chechnya is overrun and the survivors (som ...more
Harvey Burgess
Aug 30, 2015 Harvey Burgess rated it really liked it
Robert K. Tanenbaum's New York District Attorney Butch Karp is one of those guys you can easily close your eyes and imagine encountering. A former athlete-turned-lawyer who gets in some elaborate fixes with his unconventional (to say the least) wife Marlene, the Karps now become entangled in a web of deceit and intrigue crafted by some untrustworthy Washington insiders who may be behind the murder of an acting director of the CIA. Karp's 'wonder woman' daughter Lucy is tossed in the middle of th ...more
Cheryl
Jan 20, 2016 Cheryl rated it liked it
As a federal employee, I can seriously do without all the political maneuvering. But that being said, do I believe some portion of the government would hang our folks out to dry...oh yeah. Do I believe there is corruption in and among the ranks...totally. Whether this story is a fictional rendition of current events or not, I read for entertainment not to compare current events to a story line.

The story itself was okay, nothing spectacular in my opinion. There were a lot of moving parts intersec
Sherree
Apr 01, 2015 Sherree rated it really liked it
Could probably give this a 4.5. At first I thought he was going back to the national terrorist style of book that I didn't find very interesting. This was not as much, though it was incredibly political, and I feel leaves little doubt about Tanenbaum's personal politics. I read this in one day, on the edge of my seat to know who lived or died, who surprise witnesses were, etc. As usual, Butch Karp came through, ever ethical and professional.Although I would like to believe this is a work of comp ...more
Robert Strupp
Sep 18, 2014 Robert Strupp rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I thought Fatal Conceit was going to be a really great book as, with a few name and location changes, it exposed what probably really happened in Benghazi under the direction of the Obama/Clinton reign. But then, things started happening that seemed like they would never happen (as if it were a 'novel,' eh?) and then, around page 370 (out of 448, not 600+ Goodreads), mimicking television's 'Law & Order,' we got into the trial part that went on and on and on and on, and I basically ended-up s ...more
Marcia Poulson
Sep 03, 2014 Marcia Poulson rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE!
In my opinion, Fatal Conceit was not good. I have read Mr. Tanenbaum's other books in this series and usually enjoy the adventures of Butch, Lucy, etc. However, this book was so blatantly right-wing that I couldn't finish it. Mr. Tanenbaum is entitled to his opinion but next time make sure that the book is well written. Who knew that Mr. Tanebaum was a Fox Friend! UGH.. I don't know if I will read the next book. Also, I don't remember any of the previous books including Bush's foibles (Iraq War, ...more
Michele
Oct 16, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it
If you have a queasy feeling about the hubris of those in our government before you start the novel, it will only increase as you dive into this story. Good people and bad people are not always obvious. Duplicity, lying, struggling for the truth, geopolitics, and some really evil people make this thriller a great read.

An honest review in exchange for an ARC via netgalley.com 10/16/14

www.facebook.com
www.linkedin.com
Cassandra
Jul 27, 2015 Cassandra rated it did not like it
I don't know why I finished this book except that I wanted to know what happened to "the mole people". Mr. Tanenbaum looks like such a pleasant man, however, this book is just his thinly disguised hate filled diatribe against the current POTUS and his administration. One reviewer said that Tanenbaum is just another member of the 1% and we should quit giving him more money--I guess I agree.

I used to care about these characters, but this story was so filled with hate that I really had a hard time
Mark
Butch Karp/Marlene Ciampi & family are dragged into a thinly veiled governmental Benghazi-like cover-up as Butch investigates the murder of a proposed Director of the CIA...it was fun trying to identify the various players and media types involved, from the complicit willing useful idiots to Adrienne Stupnagel's Sharyl Attkinson contributions...GREAT FUN READ!!!...especially if you're a bit to the political right
Sara
Aug 26, 2014 Sara rated it liked it
Not one of his better ones, but it delivers if you're in the mood for this kind of thing. A little spooky how close it is to current reality, though. I had a little trouble getting into this one, which is odd. Not sure if it speaks to my own state of mind, or the book itself, though I notice other reviewers had similar reactions. Still, though, if you follow the series, you'll want to read this one.
Susan Pape
Jan 02, 2015 Susan Pape rated it it was amazing
This fast paced novel draws sharp parallels to our current political machines in Washington, D.C.. ..... what politicians are capable of doing and what's in their political interests. Included in this work of fiction, is an unsettling military catastrophe that can only be directly compared to Benghazi. Who issued the "Stand Down Order"? Or, "What difference does it make!" And your answer is.......?
Scott Stewart
Jun 03, 2014 Scott Stewart rated it liked it
First, thanks to the pubisher for allowing me to read an Advanced Copy.

This was a decent story, with many twists and turns. It is like a criminal law procedural manual, and it seemed to drag on later in the story. The reader will learn a lot about the crime, then you will read a lot of the same during the trial. Real redundant.

All in all, a good read.
Lianne
Dec 08, 2014 Lianne rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
There is a huge difference in the reviews for this book. It is definitely true that this one in the series is very different from the others. It is very political and I don't necessarily believe that is appropriate in this series but that is, of course, up to the author. There is quite a bit less action and a lot more courtroom scenes. I still enjoyed reading it.
John Stella
May 14, 2015 John Stella rated it really liked it
Really enjoy this series and this was one of the better books! My one complaint is that much of the action is told in flashback as the characters start off the chapter in present time but remember what happened to move the story forward. Still a good read!
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • Come as You Are (Dragon One, #3)
  • Falcon Seven
  • Intercept (Mack Bedford, #2)
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold #2)
  • Gideon's War (Gideon Davis, #1)
  • The Art of War (Jake Grafton & Tommy Carmellini Universe, #16)
  • Blown Coverage
  • Hard Rain (Vin Cooper, #3)
  • Walk Through Darkness
  • House Rivals (Joe DeMarco, #10)
  • The Exile (Ryan Kealey, #4)
  • The Devil's Light
  • The Price of Innocence (Theresa MacLean #6)
  • My Lost Daughter (Lily Forrester, #4)
  • Twelve Days (John Wells, #9)
  • No Dark Valley
  • Smoke Screen (Mills, Kyle)
Robert K. Tanenbaum is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-five legal thrillers and has an accomplished legal career of his own. Before his first book was published, Tanenbaum had already been the Bureau Chief of the Criminal Courts, had run the Homicide Bureau, and had been in charge of the training program for the legal staff for the New York County District Attorney’s Office. He als ...more
More about Robert K. Tanenbaum...

Butch Karp (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1)
  • Depraved Indifference (Butch Karp, #2)
  • Immoral Certainty (Butch Karp, #3)
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • Material Witness (Butch Karp, #5)
  • Corruption of Blood (Butch Karp, #6)
  • Justice Denied (Butch Karp, #7)
  • Falsely Accused (Butch Karp, #8)
  • Irresistible Impulse (Butch Karp, #9)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)