Start by marking “After I Do” as Want to Read:
After I Do

After I Do

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  3,161 ratings  ·  582 reviews
From the author of Forever, Interrupted—hailed by Sarah Jio as "moving, gorgeous, and at times heart-wrenching"—comes a breathtaking new novel about modern marriage, the depth of family ties, and the year that one remarkable heroine spends exploring both.

When Lauren and Ryan’s marriage reaches the breaking point, they come up with an unconventional plan. They decide to tak
Published July 1st 2014 by Washington Square Press (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about After I Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After I Do

Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
6 stars!!

description

I am in awe of this book. This is the kind of story that makes me think, makes me feel, and stays with me long after the last page is flipped. It doesn’t just become another book on the ‘read-shelf.’ It’s in a league of its own, and no matter how much time passes, the profound impact it’s made on me won’t diminish. This is one of THOSE books: the kind that will get you out of a book rut, continue your book roll, and is filled with the most meaningful quotes you won’t be able to stop h
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
2 stars. Review posted July 25 2014

photo oie_NyYAiLRsJ79M_zps9d3f2256.gif

photo oie_ZqrQPlpOCf50_zps729aac33.gif

From the blurb:
(…) And above all, After I Do is the story of a couple caught up in an old game—and searching for a new road to happily ever after.

With all due respect I dissent. This is the story of Lauren. It's not a story about a couple because Ryan hardly exists. He drops by sporadically (view spoiler) And what did they search for? It's all about Lauren here and Lauren there. We never get Ryan's POV
Kristin (KC)

*5 Stars* for a refreshingly genuine read!

This book seems so incredibly simple, yet so profoundly important. A husband and wife who have reached a crossroads in their marriage agree to separate for a year to find out if they can make their marriage whole again.

Lauren and Ryan have reached a point in their relationship where they no longer bother telling the other what is important to them. Communication is stifled, and they become so withdrawn they begin despising the other for their own shortc
Brandi
4.5 Stars

description

Lauren and Ryan meet in college, fall in love and after a couple of years are married. But what happens after the vows are said and the cake is cut? After 6 years of marriage, they find themselves extremely unhappy, and resentful. They've lost their way...

Ryan and I are two people who used to be in love.
What a sad thing to be.

Together they decide to take a break, 1 year apart with no contact. During this separation they are free to do whatever, inc
Jasmine
4.5 GUTTED STARS!

"Ryan and I are two people who used to be in love.
What a sad thing to be."

So I've been putting off this read for too long & after a DNF, I've decided to pick this one up from my trusted buddies rec list. Thanks Feifei & Rachel for convincing me to read this!

*******

After I Do tells the story of Lauren & Ryan; they've been together for eleven years and married for six. We get a glimpse of their relationship milestones in the fi
Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥
"Just because you can live without someone, doesn't mean you want to."

photo afterIdocollage.png

I love, love, loved this book!

After I Do is the story of Lauren and Ryan, who have been married for six years, and together for eleven. When they first got married, they both thought their love for each other would conquer everything. As time went by, they both began to drift apart, to the point where they've fallen out of love.

In an effort to save their marriage, Lauren and Ryan resort to the unconventional: a trial s
Jennifer Kyle
4.5description Stars

"Ryan and I are two people who used to be in love. What a beautiful thing to have been.
What a sad thing to be."

I truly adored this author’s writing style! This book is well worth it's high price tag because it was truly an enjoyable tale of the good, the bad and ugly of marriage.

description

Lauren and Ryan have been married for a little over ten years when they realize that they aren’t in love any longer and that they get on each other’s nerves and decide to take a one year break. This one year
Share❤
4 Solid Stars!

It's no secret I really enjoy married couple stories and this one was no different. But I couldn't give it 5 stars because for me this was more Lauren's story. I felt like it was more about Lauren finding herself and becoming a better woman. Which is ok, but I really wish Ryan was more apart of it, I actually missed him while reading it.

Also, the end came together just way too quickly. I'm not a fan of the year apart thing, I feel like as a couple you should be in each others face
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
Jan 01, 2015 Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ by: Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
Shelves: best-of-2014

5+++ "It hurt so good" Stars!

photo A5A9BAFB-E724-4457-97DA-E19FD8F32231_zpshq4jp4py.gif

This is going to be one of those annoying gif-filled reviews. I hate to do it but this book elicited such a plethora of feelings for me, this way just works better. So...

photo 81B2C84C-6105-4096-B580-C15588B1FFF8_zpsmnmloyyy.gif

Lauren and Ryan have been been together some eleven years...starting out as college sweethearts. They got their first apartment together, struggled financially, eventually married, got their dream home...grew apart. Each and every day, they grew apart. Neither person willing to communicate their ow
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
5 stars

photo PhotoGrid_1405948342837_zpspofr16gi.jpg

Lauren and Ryan have reached a time in their marriage where they forgot what it was like to be in love. And so they agreed on a year long separation.

This book gave me a lot of feels and the writing so addictive. It wasn't all serious as I found myself chuckling at parts. There was a few minor issues like I was expecting to be really emotional but that never came. Also I felt like the end was a bit rushed.

This is a stay with me forever book which is why I decided on 5 stars. I normally li
♥~♥Geri ~ the Racy Lit Reader ♥~♥
5+++ I Do Stars!

Me while reading this book.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Me after reading this book.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This book slayed me. It turned me into a blubbering mess, mmkay?

But before I tell you about my feels, just a few things about this book.

Lauren and Ryan have been together for 11 years. They met in college, fell in love and got married soon right after. They went through the same struggles most couples did early in their marriage but they were in love. So they worked, paid their bills, loved and build their lives.

But life
♥Rachel♥
Mar 06, 2015 ♥Rachel♥ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Arlene
3.5 Stars

Lauren and Ryan have been together for eleven years. At first they’re madly in love and you can feel the rightness of their passionate connection. But just because a relationship starts off that way doesn’t mean it will automatically stay that way, especially if you don’t work at it. It takes work to put up with someone, to remember to appreciate the things they do for you on a daily basis. Because we tend to be selfish creatures, it takes work to think about your mate’s happiness and i
Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️Lautner❤️Miller❤️Garrett❤️Malcolm and Archer❤️❤️
*****4.5 STARS*****
(BR with Dee, Mel, and Sharon)

photo 7114eeec98ddd6aa585e49af5c44e768_zps6a45df28.jpg

Lauren and Ryan Cooper have been married for six years and have been together for eleven. They met while they both were attending UCLA.
When every relationship first starts, the newness of it all is so exciting. You get those butterflies in your stomach when you're with teach other. Kissing till your lips are both swollen and sore, is something that you look forward to.
Sex is always incredibly hot and you just can't seem to keep your hands off of
AJ
5 heartbreakingly uplifting stars

Wow, this is an amazing story. The story of a husband and wife, once blissfully happy and in love who now… aren’t.

Ryan and I are two people who used to be in love.
What a sad thing to be.

After ten years together and six years of marriage, Lauren and Ryan find themselves unhappy and living a life full of resentment and bitterness. Somewhere along the way, they have lost their way, and in order to find their way back to each ot
Alexis *Reality Bites*
This book is rated ‘G’ for Good!
Genre: Adult Fiction-Romance
4.5 STARS out of 5

photo tumblr_macsu1XvFl1rwwppio1_500_zps368721e6.gif

He is next to me but not beside me. We are both in this bed, but we are not sharing it.

“We’re not in love anymore,” I say. Just the sound of it coming out of my mouth makes my skin crawl and my adrenaline run. I am shaking. Ryan stares at me for a moment, no doubt shocked , and then he pulls his hands to his face, burying his fingers in his hair. He is a handsome man. I wonder when I stopped seeing that.

In this tou
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
Lauren and Ryan are two people in a troubled marriage and they just plain don't like each other anymore. They try to figure out a way to save their marriage...by being apart for a whole year with everything that entails. Will this keep them together or break them up for good?

The story starts with Lauren and Ryan fighting over silly things really. Then we go back in the past to where they met and fell in love and then got married. It was full of bittersweet moments.

Once we get back to the presen
Dee Montoya
******5 Hopeful Stars*****
(BR with Mel, Sharon and Patty)

This book was God-send, I loved reading it and I know this will be the gift that keeps on giving. You know, we all interact with each other here on GR, some girls are sweet, some hate spoilers and some become the best friends you never thought you could have. When I asked my friend Feifei if I could borrow this book; because of the high price tag, we all know how expensive it can get buying our books each month. Anyways this sweet friend a
Jeanne
Sep 23, 2014 Jeanne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jeanne by: Fran and Ami
Shelves: favorites, chick-lit

" My heart is truly broken. And I know that even if it mends, it will look different, feel different, beat differently."

Lauren and Ryan have been together for 11 and a half years, and have reached a point in their marriage where they are questioning whether or not they still love each other, if their marriage is worth saving. They decide to take a year long break from each other with no contact whatsoever.

"Ryan and I are two people who used to be in love.
W
Renee
**** 6 Stars ****

This is definitely one of the best books I've read this year. It hurt. It made me smile. It made me laugh. It made me cry. It really made me 'feel'. I almost finished it in one sitting, and I honestly don't remember the last time I lost track of time while reading a book. Most of the time, we read stories about the perfect characters falling in love, getting married and living happily ever after. The picture perfect fairy tale. Truth is, it's bullshit. Nothing is perfect, no one
Brenna
I still haven't gotten over this book. I'll probably read it again before release day and attempting to write a full review. I connected with this book on so many levels, it's hard to even wrap my head around it. Keep an eye out for this one, it's definitely a top read of 2014! 5+ stars!
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Second read: May 13, 2015. I actually cried reading this the second time - I'm realizing that it's definitely a book I turn to when I need perspective on my life and marriage. Upping my rating to 4.5 stars.

Review originally posted at Mostly YA Lit

This book was not on my radar at all until Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) mentioned it, then I read reviews from Estelle (Rather Be Reading), Alexa (Alexa Loves Books), and Hannah (So Obsessed With) and knew that I needed to put this at the top of m
MELISSA
3.5-4 I Need My Husband Stars!
(BR with Sharon, Patty & Denisse)

photo 98bf16ab-0c8f-49b9-969a-870473ccad18.jpg

photo 5e7282ba-4cce-4c52-bcba-030844853aea.jpg

Lauren Spencer is a 19 yr. old college sophomore living in LA & attending UCLA. She doesn't have many friends, but is very close to her mom & siblings. She starts seeing this gorgeous guy everywhere she turns on campus. One day they finally meet and they hit it off and begin dating.

photo f117b130-fcb9-4adf-92b1-4a7cb8964dbd.jpg

This perfect, sweet, beautiful guy is Ryan Cooper. They just click from the beginning and fall madly in love. They are inseparable, and bec
Lise *friends don't flag*
I had high expectations for this one. I was sucked in right away and then I felt a little sad- too real life for my fiction reading escape, but then I felt like I was being reminded of some of the most core-essential-important things in life.
So... a five star read for me and a five star reminder of "Just because you can live without someone doesn't mean you want to"
Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss

I knew from the beginning of the book that After I Do was going to be something special. And it was. I absolutely loved this book from the first page to the last.

After I Do was an emotional and intense readand yet such a quiet story. Taylor Jenkins Reid is a powerful writer. Her words have the ability to cut right to your core. A few of my friends who have read this book and are married say that it's like Reid crawled into their heads because everything was so real. This is one of my top favori
Arlene

Loved it all... Yes all of it!!!

There were so many parts of this novel that resonated with me at least in some small way. The feelings between the main characters, the email drafts, the family dynamics felt so real and believable that I found myself re-reading passages long after finishing the book.
Fran
This is undoubtedly one of the best books I've ever read, and it's something that will stay with me forever.

“Make no mistake: I do love you. Just because I don’t feel the love in my heart doesn’t mean I don’t know it’s there. I know it’s there. I’m leaving because I’m going to find it. I promise you that.”

I've never been married but I could feel everything. I think it's because I understand. I somehow understand the reality of marriage life. Not the full extent of it but maybe how things are
Erin ✦ Lit Slave
 photo 59c55e83-4997-41de-8c53-e98bd3d63a3f.jpg

I don't normally read books like this. My taste in reading is changing and I am totally loving it!

After I Do is a story about what happens to Ryan and Lauren and the newness of dating and marriage wears off. The journey they go on is SO REAL!! The fights they had were the same exact thing my husband and I fight about. I feel this book shines a light on the realness and work every couple goes through, just to stay together. If you are married you already know this. But this is almost comforting,
Denise
After I Do seriously lends itself to some heavy introspection if you are married. Throughout the book I couldn't help but reflect on my own marriage and contemplate whether or not my hubby and I were guilty of some of these marital pitfalls. I had a hard time determining whether or not this was truly a romance book cuz the beginning was so depressing since I was an eyewitness to a disintegrating marriage.

The book is written in such a way that you feel like you are stepping into the lives of actu
Raquel

~3.5 ~

I was a bit torn about my rating. Overall, I enjoyed reading this but I didn’t love it like I thought I would. I thought this would be a 5 stars for me so I think I had high expectations going in.

I did love the writing. It felt really real and I could totally picture a movie made out of this. I’m definitely checking out other books by the same author. There were some funny and sweet parts that I really liked. Also, there were some really great secondary characters. The grandma and Charlie
Kayla at MyBookMuse

ARC provided in exchange for an honest review

"We are fighting because we don’t know how to be happy. We are fighting because we are not happy. We are fighting because we no longer make each other happy.”

When Lauren and Ryan’s marriage starts unfolding it’s not because of one event: it’s because of several. The little resentments that take center stage. Things left unsaid that are deafening. The realization that loving someone and being in love are two totally different things. What was once
More books like this? 3 19 Mar 27, 2015 05:11AM
After I Do... top pick for 2014 6 53 Aug 30, 2014 08:39PM
  • 53 Letters for My Lover (53 Letters for My Lover, #1)
  • The Education of Sebastian & The Education of Caroline (The Education of..., #1-2)
  • The Ground Rules (The Ground Rules Trilogy, #1)
  • Lily of the Springs
  • With the Father
  • Girl Before a Mirror
  • His Wounded Light (The Light in the Wound, #2)
  • The One That Got Away
  • Your Perfect Life
  • Shattered (Stolen Breaths, #2)
  • Vanguard
  • Happiness for Beginners
  • The Seduction of Dylan Acosta
  • Dear Tabitha (Forever Family, #2)
  • Don’t Let Go
  • Abstract Love
  • God-Shaped Hole
  • Hawthorne & Heathcliff
Taylor Jenkins Reid is an author and essayist from Acton, Massachusetts. Her first novel, Forever, Interrupted, was named one of the "11 Debuts We Love" by Kirkus Reviews. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband, Alex, and their dog, Rabbit. You can follow her on Twitter @tjenkinsreid.
More about Taylor Jenkins Reid...
Maybe in Another Life Forever, Interrupted Zwei auf Umwegen The Atria Summer 2013 Beach-Read Bag: A Free Collection of Excerpts from Some of Our Favorite Writers

“Isn’t it nice … once you’ve outgrown the ideas of what life should be and you just enjoy what it is.” 39 likes
“Just because you can live without someone doesn’t mean you want to.” 34 likes